Linux-Hardware Digest #247, Volume #14           Thu, 25 Jan 01 12:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: Im curius...why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem?? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  problem with card sound (toshiba 2800-S201 ) (BugRed)
  Re: Cheap PCI Hardware Modem ("Peter T. Breuer")
  High Class PC and Linux (Josef =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sch=FCrle?=)
  Re: High Class PC and Linux (Dragan Colak)
  Re: HP DeskJet 932C Driver is needed (Mike Edwards)
  Re: HP DeskJet 932C Driver is needed (Mark Bratcher)
  which SCSI controller in IBM PS/2 9577 0NA? (Thomas Bark)
  USB mouse, Kernel 2.4.0 and XFree86 4.0.1 (Neil Watson)
  Re: hdparm (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: Open GL setup - slow graphics!! (Harri Haataja)
  D850GB board (Eran Dvey-Aharon)
  Strange mouse buttons (Jon Chambers)
  [Netiqueta]Re: Lectura/escritura sobre NTFS (Sinner from the Prairy)
  Re: Firewire support in Linux? (Robert Wiegand)
  Re: Hard drive gone totally unrepairablely bad?? (Robert Wiegand)
  Re: hdparm settings for IBM-DTLA-307060 (Roger Ray)
  Re: hdparm (Eric Ho)
  Re: EZ Cam II drivers? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Strange mouse buttons ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ide cd-rw and scsi harddrives ("Saender A. Clark")
  Re: Compatibility ("Michael")
  Re: Any of 2.2.x not have CPUID problem with AMD CPUs? ("Keith Wheeler")
  Re: Using Teldat 150 USB ISDN box? ("Jaap de Haan")
  Re: D850GB board ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Im curius...why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:05:45 GMT

NervousSpear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "kellyboy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Why is ISA modem cost more than PCI modem??
>>
> Because the ISA modem contains a processor for decoding and encoding analog
> signal. A PCI modem uses software to use CPU to decoding and encoding. The
> software is cheaper that the hardware, but the hardware modem puts less work
> on the system, so that you get better CPU performance.

THis is the difference between a hardware modem and a software modem,
not between isa and pci. But I agree, that is probably what the
questioner MEANT to ask.

Peter

------------------------------

From: BugRed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with card sound (toshiba 2800-S201 )
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:59:41 +0100

I have a model toshiba 2800-S201, with a card sound yamaha ymf-754 ds-1e
, also i have the kernel 2.4.0-prerelease,  but mi sound card make a
buzzing, because.

I'm sorry my english

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cheap PCI Hardware Modem
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:35:38 GMT

In comp.os.linux.hardware Bernd Eckenfels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.networking Josh Stern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Anyway, bottom line is that there is at least one
>> cheap, competent, PCI hardware modem out there.

> Is the PCI Bus fast enough for modern Modems?

considering that a modem can manage 56 THOUSAND BITS per second, and a
pci bus can manage 33 * 4 = 133 MILLION BYTES per second, one might
guess so.  A safety factor of 2000 is usually safe enough.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Josef =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sch=FCrle?=
Subject: High Class PC and Linux
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:04:34 +0100

Hello!

For research work we want to use a high class PC with linux(SuSE). The
PC will be configured with 2 Processors, 4-8 GByte RAM and several SCSI
hard disks.

Is it in general possible to use this configuration with Linux? Which
components (especially board) are recommended? Should we us the
(cheaper) AMD-Processors or Intel-Processors(we heard, that AMD-P.
produce  arithmetic errors)?

Thank you for your advise!

Best regards,

Josef Schürle

------------------------------

From: Dragan Colak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: High Class PC and Linux
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:26:22 +0100

Josef Schürle wrote:

> Hello!
>
> For research work we want to use a high class PC with linux(SuSE). The
> PC will be configured with 2 Processors, 4-8 GByte RAM and several SCSI
> hard disks.
>
> Is it in general possible to use this configuration with Linux? Which
> components (especially board) are recommended? Should we us the
> (cheaper) AMD-Processors or Intel-Processors(we heard, that AMD-P.
> produce  arithmetic errors)?
>
> Thank you for your advise!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Josef Schürle

Two processors are no problem with Linux but you can't use AMD in
a multi processor environment because there are no mainboards for it
out, yet. In a few month there should be some.
AFAIK the IA32 architecture supports only up to 4 GByte of RAM, but
Linux can handle up to 64 GByte.
SCSI is no problem as long as the controller is supported by Linux.

Where did you get the thing with the arithmetic errors with AMD?
Never heard anything about it.

Dragan

------------------------------

From: Mike Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP DeskJet 932C Driver is needed
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:30:03 GMT

Have you tried the any of HP color filters that came with Mandrake (I
assume it's like my Red Hat distrib)?  If not, you might try the generic
Postscript filter...

Mike

--
Mike Edwards

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:23:01 -0500

==============8BBBDD9FAC1D13F5D1181DD2

Josh,

Check out www.linuxprinting.org.

Mark

Joshua Robinson wrote:

> hey,
>
> I have HP DeskJet 932C printer and it works great under windows 98.
> BUT
> I am using Mandrake 7.2 and wonder where can I find a linux driver for that
> printer.
>
> Thnx,
> Josh :-)
==============8BBBDD9FAC1D13F5D1181DD2

begin:vcard
n:Bratcher;Mark
tel;fax:716/288-4604
tel;work:716/288-7220
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.tpr.com
org:Torrey Pines Research
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Director of Software Development
adr;quoted-printable:;;565 Blossom Road=0D=0ASuite A;Rochester;New York;14610;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;19472
fn:Bratcher, Mark
end:vcard

From: Thomas Bark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.scsi,de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: which SCSI controller in IBM PS/2 9577 0NA?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:03:46 +0100

Hi,

I'm interested in using an IBM PS/2 9577 0NA sysetm (486DX2/66) with
builtin SCSI cache controller as a Linux router,
but I cannot find the brandname of the SCSI controller.
Which SCSI-module I have to use?

Best regards
Thomas

------------------------------

From: Neil Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB mouse, Kernel 2.4.0 and XFree86 4.0.1
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 13:30:53 GMT

Hello everyone,

I have mandrake 7.2 installed at home and my USB mouse was working fine.
On Tuesday I upgraded to Kernel 2.4.0 and configured USB support into the
kernel.

Now my usb mouse is not working in X anymore:(  What device is the usb
mouse under 2.4?  I tried changing my XFree config file manually (the auto
configure stops saying it could not find my mouse) trying:

/dev/input/mice
/dev/input/mouse0
/dev/input/mouse

Still my mouse is not working.

Can anyone please offer me some suggestions?

Thank you,
--
Neil Watson
http://webhome.idirect.com/~neilw

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hdparm
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:42:03 -0500

==============694381054C06D69C8E550AED

Eric,

> It seems like the -d1 and -c1 switches are not working. Any idea ?

Is your kernel compiled to support DMA and 32-bit access to IDE drives? These
are switchable in the kernel config. If they're off, that would explain the
behavior you're seeing.

Mark

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Subject: Re: Open GL setup - slow graphics!!
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:08:56 GMT

Marcus Lauer wrote:
>Tomas Andersen wrote:
>>
>> I just installed the Mesa-lib GL on my linux OS.
>> I am running Linux on a Duron 700MHz machine with a Matrox G400 Max
>> graphic card.
>> When I run Quake III or other games that use GL the graphics are really
>> slow!!

I would suggest getting XF4 and setting up dri.

--
Windows Task Scheduler is a really nifty tool and should probably
be disabled and removed if at all possible.

------------------------------

From: Eran Dvey-Aharon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: D850GB board
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:00:31 +0200

==============7EDAEDFC159A2CAFC57F8263

Hi !

I couldn't install redhat 6.1 or suse 7.0 on my new intel D850GB board
(Pentium-4).
Does any of you have the same board ? Could you install linux ? which
distribution ?

Eran

--
===========================
Eran Dvey-Aharon

Phone # : 972-2-6586899
Fax   # : 972-2-6584437

==============7EDAEDFC159A2CAFC57F8263

&nbsp;
(Pentium-4).
distribution ?
<pre>--&nbsp;
===========================
Eran Dvey-Aharon

Phone # : 972-2-6586899
Fax&nbsp;&nbsp; # : 972-2-6584437</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: Jon Chambers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Strange mouse buttons
Date: 25 Jan 2001 15:21:12 +0000

I have a Compaq Armada E700, dual boot w/ NT 4.0 & RedHat 6.2.

Having worked fine for a month or so I suddenly found that under
X (Gnome) the mouse buttons started to act strange eg:  X did not
register the release of a left button press until the middle button
is pressed etc.

By killing X, and running 'gpm' and 'mev' at the console I verified
that the mouse really is acting strangely (ie: the problem was not
with X).

All three buttons work fine under NT (so the hardware is not
physically damaged).

The mouse is a built-in EasyPoint IV that previously just looked to
the OS like a regular PS/2 mouse.

Anyone got any bright ideas?

cheers,
Jon

Please CC any responses by email to jon"AT"jon.demon.co.uk

------------------------------

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: es.comp.os.linux.instalacion,es.comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: [Netiqueta]Re: Lectura/escritura sobre NTFS
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 15:37:03 GMT

[maileado y posteado]

¡Hola!

Bienvenido a los grupos de Linux de la jerarquía es.*

El soporte de particiones NTFS en modo lectura viene "de serie" con
cualquier Kernel de la serie 2.2.x y 2.4.x

El modo escritura... no se aconseja.

Pero...

Por lo visto, no te has pasado por http://www.escomposlinux.org , donde
se encuentran las normas de "convivencia" en estos grupos de Linux
(es.comp.os.linux.instalacion ,  es.comp.os.linux.misc ,
es.comp.os.linux.redes ,  es.comp.os.linux.programacion).

Mírate estas normas en las secciones "Consejos", "Meta-Faq" y "Grupos".
Entre ellas, tienes la siguiente:

¡Utiliza el grupo adecuado! Si hay varios grupos, es para enviar
mensajes diferentes a cada grupo. Así, no envies mensajes de instalación
en el de programación ni al de miscelánea. Más en "Grupos".

Tu pregunta se corresponde mejor con el grupo
es.comp.os.linux.instalacion

¡No envies el mismo mensaje a todos los grupos a la vez!
Envíalo unicamente al grupo adecuado. Más en "Consejos" y "Grupos".

No te tomes esto como una reprimenda. Es solo una nota informativa para
que todos aprovechemos al máximo los grupos de news.

¡Todo el mundo la pifia!  ;)

¿Quieres saber más de "Netiqueta" o consejos para aprovechar mejor los
newsgroups/grupos de noticias/"nius"? Mira este link:
http://www.escomposlinux.org/sromero/mailnews.txt

Salut,
Sinner

--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net

------------------------------

From: Robert Wiegand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Firewire support in Linux?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:28:54 -0600

D. D. Brierton wrote:

> Firstly, whilst there has been lots of noise about the support for USB in
> the new 2.4 kernel, I've not noticed anything being said about Firewire. Is
> it supported?

2.4 has experimental Firewire support. I don't have Firewire so I have
no idea how well it works.

Bob Wiegand   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Robert Wiegand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hard drive gone totally unrepairablely bad??
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:34:35 -0600

kellyboy wrote:

> I would hate to throw away the 5.x HD.

If it was my computer I would throw the disk away.

Hard drives are so cheap why take a chance on a bad drive?

From: Roger Ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: hdparm settings for IBM-DTLA-307060
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:03:06 -0600

Thanks to all who responded.

The problem turned out to be that I had failed to tell the BIOS about
the existence of the second disk.  Even though the BIOS has the disk
marked as "OFF", Linux recognizes the disk and it can be used. However,
in this state, no amount of adjusting the hdparm's will cause the disk
to operate any faster than 2 -3 MB/s.

Once the disk is set to "AUTO" configure by the BIOS, using

hdparm -c1 -d1 -m16 /dev/hdb

as several suggested, brings the transfer rate up to ~ 35 MB/s

This is with the 2.2.14-6.1.1 (RH 6.2) or 2.2.16 (RH 7.0) kernel (no ide
patches) (This is a Dell Precision Workstation 420 w/ Intel 82801 AA
chipset (ATA-66))

I finally noticed the entry in /var/log/dmesg which contained

PCI: PCI BIOS revision 2.10 entry at 0xfc03e
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio

but which changed to
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA

when the BIOS recognized the disk.

Hope this helps anyone else who might miss this simple checkpoint when
adding a disk.

--
R Ray

------------------------------

From: Eric Ho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 25 Jan 2001 16:25:21 GMT

I will check that, thanks.

Best Regards,
Eric Ho

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: EZ Cam II drivers?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:28:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Static-Pulse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've got an EX Can II (from Eztronics) that I'd love to hook up to my
> SuSE Linux (kernel version 2.2.14) box.  Can someone tell me if this
> is possible?  And if so how do I go about doing it (i.e. what tar.gz
> to I download and from where)? Any and all help will be GREATLY
> appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
>
> --
>
> Static-Pulse
> http://www.kerovia.net : Kerovia Networks
> http://hope.dnsalias.net : The Hope FTP
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] :: ICQ: 1537067
> "Human? Did I forget my spots?" - Ezri Dax
> "Stinkin' Decepticon piece of cheese!" - Rattrap
> "...I will discharge unconditionally." - Al Gore

Is the cam USB, if it is you will have to compile the 2.4.0 kernel. It
has (limited)USB support. After you have goten that far, its just a
matter of finding a driver. I seriously doubt that EZtronics makes a
Linux driver for that cam. I may be wrong though! You can always write
one. If you have any Q's feel free to email me.

Kyle K
=====
Support by Linuxgruven.com
www.linuxgruven.com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Strange mouse buttons
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:38:24 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Jon Chambers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a Compaq Armada E700, dual boot w/ NT 4.0 & RedHat 6.2.
>
> Having worked fine for a month or so I suddenly found that under
> X (Gnome) the mouse buttons started to act strange eg:  X did not
> register the release of a left button press until the middle button
> is pressed etc.
>
> By killing X, and running 'gpm' and 'mev' at the console I verified
> that the mouse really is acting strangely (ie: the problem was not
> with X).
>
> All three buttons work fine under NT (so the hardware is not
> physically damaged).
>
> The mouse is a built-in EasyPoint IV that previously just looked to
> the OS like a regular PS/2 mouse.
>
> Anyone got any bright ideas?
>
> cheers,
> Jon
>
> Please CC any responses by email to jon"AT"jon.demon.co.uk

Try running "mouseconfig" and redoing the setup. It is possible the
XF86Config file got changed somehow. Have you tried plugging a mouse
into the laptop and see what that gives you? Any Q's email me

Kyle K
======
Support by Linuxgruven Inc.
www.linuxgruven.com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Saender A. Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ide cd-rw and scsi harddrives
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 01:42:46 +0900

I have a machine with two scsi harddrives on scsibus 0 - redhat 6.2 ,
kernel 2.2.16- sees them as sda and sdb
When I loaded the ide-scsi module and rebooted, the cd-rw was now seen
as sda and I got a kernel panic because it didn't know where to look for
boot instructions.

I tried changing fstab and lilo.conf (and ran lilo) to reflect this
change, but no joy.  All it has done is make it impossible for me to get
into the machine at all.

Any ideas how to get linux to boot from the now moved devices?

sandy clark
AOS Princeton University

------------------------------

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compatibility
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:03:20 -0600

The cheapest Actiontec 56K PCI internal modems use the PCtel 789T chipset
which is a Host Signal Processing (HSP) chipset which theoretically will
work with Linux.
You can tell by looking at the markings on the big chip mounted on the
circuit
board of the modem.
I agree that looking at http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodems.html is a good
idea.

------------------------------

From: "Keith Wheeler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any of 2.2.x not have CPUID problem with AMD CPUs?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:58:02 -0700

Rich,

There is an option you can add to your lilo.conf file to turn off the CPUID
feature. Can't remember the command at the moment. I know the RedHat web
site has this in their tech notes. Might check there.

I'm running an Athlon 1000 with 2.2.16-22 and it runs just fine. I do know
the new 2.4.0 kernel can be compiled for the Duron/Athlons directly,
whenever that gets stabilized and added to someone's distro . . .

Good Luck,
KW

news:94nvft$9hr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Jaap de Haan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using Teldat 150 USB ISDN box?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:29:43 +0100

I also have the same "problem"

I've tried to use it also with the CAPI and the serial COM port (But I am
still trying... and I don't have a lot of experience)

The USB support has still to be written according to what is written on the
www.linux-usb.org site. I get the error "address not accepted" or something
like that (sorry, I am at work and my experimental computer is at home, I
cannot be more explicit)

When I plug it out and then in again, the driver tries to affect an address
the new device but this one does not respond. It tries a few times (3-4) by
incrementing the address before stopping.

That is how far I am at the moment.

We can keep in touch to try to solve the problem I am a programmer (more
Window$ oriented at the moment) but if I had more time I would read the
whole USB Spec and the data from AVM (in the Teledat 150, there is an AVM
Fritz USB card) and try to write my own driver for it (I unfortunately lack
experience but it is a good way to start learning).

Best Regards
 Jaap de Haan

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: D850GB board
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 16:45:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Eran Dvey-Aharon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> --------------7EDAEDFC159A2CAFC57F8263
>
> Hi !
>
> I couldn't install redhat 6.1 or suse 7.0 on my new intel D850GB board
> (Pentium-4).
> Does any of you have the same board ? Could you install linux ? which
> distribution ?
>
> Eran
>
> --
> ---------------------------
> Eran Dvey-Aharon
>
> Phone # : 972-2-6586899
> Fax   # : 972-2-6584437
>
> --------------7EDAEDFC159A2CAFC57F8263

> &nbsp;
board
> (Pentium-4).
which
> distribution ?
> <pre>--&nbsp;
> ---------------------------
> Eran Dvey-Aharon
>
> Phone # : 972-2-6586899
> Fax&nbsp;&nbsp; # : 972-2-6584437</pre>
> &nbsp;</html>
>
> --------------7EDAEDFC159A2CAFC57F8263--

I do not have the same motherboard, but a coworker has an ABIT
motherboard and could only install Gentus Linux (made by ABIT) so you
might want to see if you can aquire a copy of Getus (it is based on
Mandrake) and install that. Any Q's email me

Kyle K
=====
Support by Linuxgruven Inc.
www.linuxgruven.com