From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To all linux user......
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:17:52 -0500

==============BA761A6ED8E58BBC36153978

It would seem, looking at the dejanews, that you fight with Mac people too?

Tina Carter wrote:

> I don't why and how I only end up fighting with linux people. Never in my
> life I DID this.
==============BA761A6ED8E58BBC36153978

begin:vcard
n:Bratcher;Mark
tel;fax:716/288-4604
tel;work:716/288-7220
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.tpr.com
org:Torrey Pines Research
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Director of Software Development
adr;quoted-printable:;;565 Blossom Road=0D=0ASuite A;Rochester;New York;14610;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;19472
fn:Bratcher, Mark
end:vcard

==============BA761A6ED8E58BBC36153978==

------------------------------

From: "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:27:48 -0500

> This flamewar is just pure BULLSHIT!!!
Please use nice words, And "innocent words. No need for profanity here.

> informative or an innocent question, then don't post.
You have no idea how innocent I'm and my question are just soo angel.

Else, just get the hell out.
Hmm last time I looked here This ngs was not yours. I think I'll sit right
here "suger".

> start out by saying that clamping M$ is like racism.
Clamping Black/Chinese and Indian is racism and same is done by
Linux(misers).

That was just plain stupid.
You are soo right this is just plain stupid of you. How smart you know
yourself. woow.

------------------------------

From: "Saender A. Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ide cd-rw and scsi harddrives
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 01:23:34 +0900

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 01:42:46 +0900, Saender A. Clark staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:
> >I have a machine with two scsi harddrives on scsibus 0 - redhat 6.2 ,
> >kernel 2.2.16- sees them as sda and sdb
> >When I loaded the ide-scsi module and rebooted, the cd-rw was now seen
> >as sda and I got a kernel panic because it didn't know where to look for
> >boot instructions.
> >
> >I tried changing fstab and lilo.conf (and ran lilo) to reflect this
> >change, but no joy.  All it has done is make it impossible for me to get
> >into the machine at all.
> >
> >Any ideas how to get linux to boot from the now moved devices?
>
> This is really f***ed up; a CD-RW should not appear as "sda" no matter
> what.  When you get back into the system, make sure that ide-scsi
> support is built as a module, not directly into the kernel, and this
> should not present a problem to the booting process as long as you're
> not using a RAMdisk.  (RAMdisks are completely unnecessary if you
> compile SCSI support, SCSI disk support, and support for your particular
> brand of SCSI adapter directly into the kernel.  Their only purpose is
> for installation and rescue systems; IMHO RedHat's reliance on the
> RAMdisk causes more problems and confusion than it solves.)
>
> Also go into the BIOS and disable (U)DMA for this device; CD-ROM-type
> devices don't need it, most of them can't use it, and trying to use it
> with a CD-ROM can cause funky errors like that to happen.
>
> Anyway:  boot from a bootdisk (you DO have a bootdisk, right?
> http://www.toms.net/rb/ if you don't, and keep 2 or 3 copies around) or
> boot from a bootable CD ("linux root=/dev/sda3" or wherever your real
> root partition is) then see if you can make those changes discussed in
> the first paragraph.  HTH, bonne chance....
>
> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
> http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
> -----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

Of course I have a boot disk, and getting back into the system only took 5 min.
I do have ide-scsi compiled as a module, but it is loading RAMDISK.  I'll get
rid of it and see what happens.

sandy

------------------------------

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:43:27 +0000

Tina Carter wrote:

> <Snap off>I can beat the hell out of you

> Funny who beated who durning world war 2? Didn't you german learn anything?

I thought that you were Finish.... Interesting, because after the
"victorious" Winter war (it was a tie), the result was that Finland, who
joined the Axis, lost the war.

Now this is funny: a Finish citizen accusing people of being nazis and
asking about the results of a war that they lost.

Anyway,

*plonk*

--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net

------------------------------

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3rd Day Same Modem and Same story......
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:45:38 +0000

Fluri Dave wrote:

> (an analogy)

Very well! True and sad at the same time.

Salut,
Sinner

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Firewire support in Linux?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:53:26 +0000

"D. D. Brierton" wrote:

> What is the current state of Firewire support in Linux?

It is supported since Kernel 2.4.0.

Check the directory /usr/src/linux-2.4.0/drivers/ieee1394/

Salut,
Sinner

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 7 doesn't work with 3C905?
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:31:08 +0100

Harri Haataja wrote:
> Only thing is a lot of people try 3c905.o which doesn't exist when
> they should look around and find out it's 3c59x.o instead.

I have had problems getting a 3c905C to work with the 3c59x driver. The
solution for me was to download 3c905.c from 3coms site and use that
driver instead. Im using Slackware, I think that RedHat has included the
3c905 module with their distribution.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Keith Wheeler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Athlon motherboard suggestions (with RH 7.0)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:18:51 -0700

Anthony,

I am using an Asus A7V motherboard with the Athlon 1000 Thunderbird. I built
this to be a Linux box. Never intended it to dual boot into any other OS.

RH 7 would not initially install as it did not "see" my IBM 45GB ATA100
drive on the Promise controller. So I moved it over to the onboard VIA ATA66
controller and RH installed no problem.

>From there I played with the 2.4.0 kernel, but ended up going with the
2.2.18 kernel and adding the Hedrick 12/21/00 patches for ATA100. That's
been stable now for over a day.

Not sure if the A7V will go up to the 1.2GHz Athlon. But I do know you want
to go with IBM ATA100 drives. They seem to have the lowest problems on
ATA100 (like none) of all the drives out there.

Good Luck,
KW

news:Gr5c6.45999$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 17:28:25 -0500
From: Norman Levin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help, please, post install...

Greg wrote:

> I´m installing a Linux server with RH6.2. After formatting and installing
> packages,
> the system shows the message: "Performing post install configuration..." and
> nothing more happens... 10 minutes, 20...
>
> What could be the reason for this to happen??
** on occassions the graphic install hangs at this point.  Try booting again from the
cd or floppy and at the bottom of the first 'install' screen, enter "text" (no quotes)
and do a text install.  This WILL work.

--
Norman Levin

"In 1555, Nostradamus wrote: 'Come the millennium, month 12, in the home of
greatest power, the village idiot will come forth to be acclaimed the
leader.'"

------------------------------

From: "Christian Beaumont" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SBC Project
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 10:51:17 -0800

Hi Tina,

Well it doesn't even come with a hard drive, so the size is up to you.  As
far as CPU speed is concerned, yes I'd love to make it faster, but
unfortunately the issue is that this CPU speed hits the sweet spot for
price/performance/size right now.  In another 6 months I can see a
significant step up.  My aim is for the board to cost only $100 to $200 for
basically a complete system.

This board is intended as an embedded unit for small devices.  The current
design is about 3.5" square and you can put up to 128MB of RAM on it.  I
don't think there are many systems out there that offer as much (Ethernet,
IDE, 200MHz CPU, 128MB RAM, 128MB ROM, Audio, USB, Serial, IrDA) in so small
a space.  If you want more power I'm thinking that you cluster them using
Beowolf.

-chris

news:uzac6.2167$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tina will beat that stupid german
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:55:52 -0500

You are racist too.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:58:44 -0500

You know what I like ? That foto you have in ur web. :)
I think, your network will do just fine hopefuly :)

news:3a71c60e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:02:06 -0500

The winter war was "with soviet" and We did lose it. But our "idiot" leader
joined "nazi" not finns people btw There was no finn at that time. It's
like 1/2 1/2 we were 1/2 part of sweden and 1/2 free then Russian took over
and we "did" win with help of sweden and norway etc.
As for "nazi" look at our population it's only 5 million "now" and at that
time was "3 1/2" million I believe. And we didn't lose or win. In reality we
took over norway.

Re read history

And Nazi are here you can see them....

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Onifer)
Subject: Zip 250 abnormally slow
Date: 26 Jan 2001 18:46:32 GMT

My SCSI Zip 250 drive is really, really slow with Linux formatted disks
(something like 10 minutes to write a 7 meg file for a zip-100 disk and 5
minutes for a zip-250 disk).  It's not this slow for Windows zip 100 disks.
It's also much slower than my parallel port zip 100 drive at work for
equivalent files.  Has anyone run into this problem and know how to fix it?

Also, Linux thinks my Windows pre-formatted zip-250 disks have corrupt
partition tables.  Has anyone seen that problem before?

                                jay

--
"The movie really heightens the lack of interest in the film"
                                    --Crow T. Robot

------------------------------

From: "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:04:58 -0500

My problem is with "someone" and not with entire linux users, What's worst
is that even some microsofty fight me now :(
Anyway I'm not mac user but MAC is better compare to Windows me's features.

As far as nazism goes there is lot here.

"Fluri Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
in message news:94s6d6$676$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To Linux Nazi
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:09:26 -0500

> Yes, that's what this newsgroup needs. More love and humanity in the form
of
> contention and slander so that
Since when Love and humanity comes like that hmm? in your home?

<snap off> we can solve a simple problem in 50 or more mail
> threads instead of just 3 or 4 maybe. This is progress!

It's called democracy and good leadership.

------------------------------

From: "Tina Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 14:10:32 -0500

> Excellent style, love and quality Tina... ;)
I know I'm good and very nice and kind person.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Zip 250 abnormally slow
Date: 26 Jan 2001 11:08:39 -0800

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Onifer) writes:

> My SCSI Zip 250 drive is really, really slow with Linux formatted disks
> (something like 10 minutes to write a 7 meg file for a zip-100 disk and 5
> minutes for a zip-250 disk).  It's not this slow for Windows zip 100 disks.
> It's also much slower than my parallel port zip 100 drive at work for
> equivalent files.  Has anyone run into this problem and know how to fix it?
>
> Also, Linux thinks my Windows pre-formatted zip-250 disks have corrupt
> partition tables.  Has anyone seen that problem before?
>
>                               jay
>
> --
> "The movie really heightens the lack of interest in the film"
>                                     --Crow T. Robot
> Andrew J. Onifer III                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> http://www.bigfoot.com/~aonifer/       PGP key on WWW page

I remember long ago having speed problems with my IDE ZIP drive.  That
was back with a 2.0.x kernel, though.  As I recall, it looked like
there was a lot of overhead for each block written, so the drive could
be written to much faster if I used dd to force the blocksize of the
writes to be big (I think I used 16KB).  But that problem disappeared
at some point (2.2 kernels?) so it's probably not what you're seeing.

--
                        Eric Backus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                        http://labejb.lks.agilent.com/