Linux-Hardware Digest #267, Volume #14           Mon, 29 Jan 01 06:13:04 EST

Contents:
  Re: suitable backup hardware? (Ken Arromdee)
  I need sofware for use Arnet SmartPort Plus multiport card! ("Alex A Zimin")
  Compatible systems? (Ken Moffat)
  Re: XBox - a Linux port ? (Joe Pfeiffer)
  Re: ESS Audiodrive Soundcard , IBM G74 Monitor ("Anis Mohamed")
  Asus A7V, Promise PDC 20265, Maxtor 46GB HD ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SCSI adapters with Linux ("Q")
  pppd (Jeff Moore)
  AVA2825 VLB and 1gb and bigger Hds (B'ichela)
  Re: XBox - a Linux port ? (Sinner from the Prairy)
  Partition problem ("Phil")
  Re: To all linux user...... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  pppd (Jeff Moore)
  Re: NIC: loadable module doesn't compile (Donald Becker)
  Re: Epson Stylus 800+ ("pozzugno")
  Is it possible ? (Jean-Stephane Lebrun)
  Re: Clusters.... (Roberto)
  Re: Abit KT7A-RAID Linux ("Adam Short")
  PCI bus access (David Florez)
  Re: suitable backup hardware? (Roberto)
  Re: Clusters.... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Is it possible ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Arromdee)
Subject: Re: suitable backup hardware?
Date: 29 Jan 2001 04:16:44 GMT

>> I need advice on what hardware is suitable for Linux to back up my
>> stuff sequentially (here I want to say that I do not want to burn
>> CD-ROMs because I would like to update the backups frequently - say
>> every other week or so).

Umm, use CD-RWs?
--
       Ken Arromdee / [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://www.rahul.net/arromdee

      "Eventually all companies are replaced."  --Bill Gates, October 1999

------------------------------

From: "Alex A Zimin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I need sofware for use Arnet SmartPort Plus multiport card!
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:04:40 +0500

Pls help me! I have the card, but haven't any software for use it in Unix
system. I need SOURCE code, i.e. I use FreeBSD.

WBR

Alex Zimin

------------------------------

From: Ken Moffat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Compatible systems?
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 21:00:14 -0800

        I'm about to buy a new machine, and would like to hear success stories
about linux installation on various major vendor machines. Anyone had
success with IBM, HP, Compaq, Gateway, Dell, Micron, you know, the big
guys?
        I'd like to go down to Compusa or Officewhatever and buy a cheap fast
windows machine and install linux and have it work without major
headaches.
        Thanks for any info...

--
Ken Moffat

From: Joe Pfeiffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XBox - a Linux port ?
Date: 28 Jan 2001 22:00:03 -0700

John Silva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> After looking recently at the h/w specs on the Microsoft XBox gaming
> station it seems like this would be a GREAT Linux box ... and if it
> has a price tag like most game stations it would be a 'good buy'.
>
>   So ... does this seem like a good target for a Linux port ?

That would be *beautiful*.
--
Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002

------------------------------

From: "Anis Mohamed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ESS Audiodrive Soundcard , IBM G74 Monitor
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 23:18:10 -0600

Thank you very much.
I have got the sound card working. As advised, i got the driver from
www.opensound.com..
tho the driver doesnt come cheap :-(  .. had to cought 35$ for it.

I tried reconfiguring the monitors, but at 1024 X 768 it seems to flciker..
so i am sticking with 800 X 600 desk top.
Thanks again
Anis
news:94vi18$76m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Asus A7V, Promise PDC 20265, Maxtor 46GB HD
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 06:02:52 GMT

Hello,

after reading all available discussions, readmes, faq's, i have still
following problem:

HW: ASUS A7V, TB 1GHz, 256 MB RAM, MaxtorMaxPlus 46 GB UDMA-100 HD,
    Adaptec 29160, 2 x 4 GB SXSI-HD ...... (something more)
Kernel: 2.4.0

I have upgraded from my UDMA-33 20 GB HD on primary IDE to the Maxtor
46 GB UDMA-100 HD, willing to boot from the Promise controller onboard.

At first, i recompiled 2.4.0 to support the Promise controller.

If i wouldn't make a new install, i have partitioned, mke2fs'ed and
mounted the new drive on the Promise's primary port, the HD could be
cleanly detected and so on. For every partition, i did a " find . -depth
-xdev -print | cpio -pudm <destination>".

Then, i downloade the SuSE boot-disk for Promise, because of my
monolithic kernel, i couldn't generate a own disk.

I shut down, went into BIOS, disabled IDE completely (the new drive
was recognized by bios scan), booted with boot-floppy (Controller and
disk was correctly recognized again:

ide0: BM-DMA 0x6400-0x6407
hda: 0x7800-0x7807,0x7402, irq 10

After selection of "boot installed system", i made after root-login
a lilo command.

Reboot ........ --> Result:   LIL-

I also tried the suggested append-lines for the promise controller,
no change.

Any clues  ???

Klaus

P.S. Booting off from the primary ide works fine with this disk, but
     i would reach the "lightning UDMA-100-speed" ;-))))

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Q" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI adapters with Linux
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 05:11:19 GMT

I'm happy with my adaptec 2940u2w (ultra2/80) that uses the 78xx driver that
comes with the new kernels.  I think most of the new adaptec ultra160 cards
are supported by the same driver.  I don't know what distribution you are
using, but I know that there is a list of supported ones on redhat's
website.  I use redhat, but I don't use the modified kernel so I guess the
list on the site doesn't apply to me that much.

"MONZ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
I need info on pro's and con's about various how well various SCSI
adapters are supported, works and performs with Linux, typical
problems...

It's not that much about high performance scsi-160 and raid controllers;
rather about SCSI-uw and -80.

Brands like Adaptec, Mylex/Buslogic, Symios, Initio, Tekram...
Specific model/revision experiences are welcomed.

              Mogens Valentin
    Networking - Security - Programming
  Linux configuration and troubleshooting
http://www.danbbs.dk/~monz - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jeff Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.general
Subject: pppd
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 00:46:32 +0000

I have setup pppd in my inittab and I am forwarding port 80 with
ipchains.

The port does not get forwarded and I traced it to the pppd never
exiting and running ip-up.

I can run ip-up by hand and get it running, but what is wrong with my
pppd?

Jeff Moore

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela)
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scsi,Alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: AVA2825 VLB and 1gb and bigger Hds
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 01:00:42 -0500

        I have a Adaptec AVA-2825 Vesa Local bus SCSI/EIDE and Floppy
host adaptor, My Adaptec rom is only ver 1.2. When I select drives
bigger  than 1gb. the box gets selected. (right now I have less than
1gb drives). When I save and review the Greater than 1gb drive box is
unselected. I can get good deals on bigger drives.. I know Linux
2.0.38 can deal with it. But heres the ouch.
        I want to Tripple boot this brat. the first 500M for the Linux
/ partiton, the second partion would be Drdos 7.02 and the Third
partition CP/M 86! Since it looks like the bios will NOT set up for
drives bigger than 1gb, how should I do this?
        I can get surplus Scsi drives cheapp from
http://www.ventoassociates.com
        The drives I am considering are the following. Please note. my
adaptor only has a 50 pin connector! the following are the drives I am
considering, from most desirable to LEAST based on  capacity.
Seagate         ST410800N       5.25FH  9GB     $131
Seagate         ST15150N        3.5 HH  4.2GB   $ 67
Seagate         ST41200N        5.25FH  1GB     $33
`(I chose Segates as I don't know what Quantum, Connor code
numbers mean)
        This will be the main drive. I have a 4 Bay full Height drive
case that can hold the drives.. Right now I got  6 drives and want to
intergrate into ONE to save power. (I have two half heights in another
case).
        I don't use ATA/Eide, I disabled it! (no need, all Scsi here).
        If my Bios cannot access the bigger drives, does that mean I
need to use a Linux boot disk to fire this box up?
        If its a consideration my system is a 486DX2/66 Vesa Local
Buss, 20mb ram.

--

                        B'ichela

------------------------------

From: Sinner from the Prairy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 02:14:51 +0000

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:

> > After looking recently at the h/w specs on the Microsoft XBox gaming
> > station it seems like this would be a GREAT Linux box ... and if it
> > has a price tag like most game stations it would be a 'good buy'.

> >   So ... does this seem like a good target for a Linux port ?

> That would be *beautiful*.

If done, will be able to claim a refund for an unused OS?

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.geocities.com/sinner_prairy
[MaDuiXa PoWeR] http://www.maduixa.net

------------------------------

From: "Phil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Partition problem
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 15:35:07 +0800

To all expertise,

As my understanding, each harddisk can be divided into 4 partitions
(primary/extended).  In extended partition, it could have maximum 16 logical
drives only.

(1) My question is whether I can create more than 16 logical drives for an
extended partition?

In fact, I have tried to create the special files (using mknod command) for
the 17th logical drive, but failed.

(2) Another question is for having a 30GB RAID disk, and I would like to
divide the disk into 150 partitions and each have 200MB in size. Is it
possible to do that?  Or, it is a limitation and I cannot create more than
64 (4x16) partitions.

Philip Li

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: To all linux user......
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 07:34:56 GMT

Tina you have stated that you do not fight like this but your 194
messages tell a different story.
If you are truly 16 & have this much anger you might have a real problem
other than Linux.
May be you sould refect on your own actions.
Here is one of your own post it's very distressing.

Do you ever feel that some people try to hurt you by using word
 as weapon whether anyone feeling hurt or not they don't care,
 they simple want to hurt other people and their emotion and
 their regular way of life.
 Some of these people look for attention and their way of looking for it
not just like normal people.
 I will give you an example. Hitler was looking for attention "bad way"
and he got what he wanted.

 And there are other people who do same thing to hurt and try to
 destroy other people life, they enjoy doing so and by doing this feel
good and each time other person
 emotionally hurt they will
 laugh at it, They love it. It's painful for some people to regain their
normal life and control themselves. I hope
 these kind of
 people deserve what they need to get. They are born with this
 sort of genetic and they are some who are supported by other.
 They are getting attention and one day I hope they will be
 destroyed and rape and hurt emotionally as I am right now.

 May God destroy these harm full people
 May God kill them and hurt their feeling as much as mines are
 by this person.
 I won't say they should go to righteous path because they need
 to get punishment for what they did to people like me, they
 prank joke and silly comment hurt other person feeling, let's
 make sure they are exactly where they belong in hell.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Jeff Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.general
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 02:34:56 +0000

I am running pppd in my inittab and it does not exit and run the ip-up
script, so my firewall and squid and dynamic dns do not work.

I have checked the file permissions and they look good.

What have I missed?

Jeff Moore

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donald Becker)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: NIC: loadable module doesn't compile
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:42:49 GMT

In article <01c0896a$7d885800$72142cc7@junebugk>,
Russell de Grove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Have a new computer with two KTI KF-330 NICs, they come with a loadable
>module that is compiled for the 2.2.9 kernel. I have installed RedHat 7
>(2.2.16-22), the source for the module does not compile.
>Otherwise, suggesting a cheap NIC that is known to work with RedHat 7

Your problem is actually with Red Hat 7.0, and it's broken include
files.  Read
  http://www.scyld.com/network/updates.html#redhat7.0

A precompiled netdriver update RPM for Red Hat 7.0 running the x86
uniprocessor kernel may be installed by running
  rpm -i ftp://ftp.scyld.com/pub/network/netdrivers-rh70.i386.rpm

--
Donald Becker                           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Scyld Computing Corporation             http://www.scyld.com

------------------------------

From: "pozzugno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Epson Stylus 800+
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 09:10:02 GMT

> So, is it a Win printer? I'm asking coz "type filename.txt > prn"
> under pure DOS ought to work unless it's a Win printer that needs
> certain Win stuff (probably some .DLLs need to be loaded) to function.

I tried to print from pure DOS and I saw two behavior: with an old
486 with Windows 3 and no Linux, printer works well under pure DOS;
on the PC with Windows 98 and Linux printer doesn't work under
pure DOS either Linux!!!!
So, printer isn't a winprinter and perhaps the problem is hardware with
PC, but the printer works well with Windows 98! argh!

Some BIOS setting problem? EPP+ESP or what? Cable?

> If it's a Win printer, I hear it can be "troublesome" to get it to
> work under Linux...
>
> No, I have no knowledge of Epson printers, so I wouldn't know the
> difference between a Stylus 800 and some other model...

I only know that it is a ESCP2.

------------------------------

From: Jean-Stephane Lebrun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Is it possible ?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:43:17 +0100

Hi,

Is it possible to install Linux on the station that I join the following
description ?
If yes, what distribution of Linux have I to use ?

Thanks,

Jean-Stéohane Lebrun

Manufacturer:         Digital Alpha (Digital Unix) 600 MHz
Node:                 smalto
Model:
OS Level:             V4.0D
X11 Level:            OSFX11425
Motif Version:        1.2.4
Window Manager:       CDE (OSFCDEDT425)
3D Graphics Library:  O3DDWSBASE460
Graphics Board:       PowerStorm4D60T
Installed RAM:         512 Mbytes
Free Tmp Space:       835363 kbytes

Swap Space:

Total swap allocation:
    Allocated space:        98304 pages (768MB)
    In-use space:            1239 pages (  1%)Filesystem
1024-blocks        Used   Available Capacity  Mounted on
 Available space:        97065 pages ( 98%)

/dev/rz16a       126927       77301       36933    68%    /
/proc                 0           0           0   100%    /proc
/dev/rz16g       993023      771508      122212    87%    /usr
/dev/rz16h      2180406     1034176      928189    53%    /user2
/dev/rz17c      4064118     2822343      835363    78%    /user1

------------------------------

From: Roberto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Clusters....
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:06:04 GMT

Hi Walter,

> So my question is: does anybody of you have expereince with building
up and
> configuring computation clusters ? I'll try to get financial means to
> construct a standalone HPCC with special refference to financial
> statistics/probability computation and I need someone who'd be
helpfull if I
> get the money... ;-).

Well, I don't know much about this clustering stuff myself, but you
could take a look at the Mosix project. I think it's just what you
need.
The address is: http://www.mosix.cs.huji.ac.il

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Adam Short" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Abit KT7A-RAID Linux
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:25:56 -0000

I have the original Abit KT7 Raid, and its crap under Linux. It has a nasty
habit of messing up devices connected to it (soundcards, capture cards,
anything in pci slots 2 or 5). It uses a VIA chipset which is buggy as hell
and causes conflicts with about half of my hardware. I'm very disappointed
in the product. Even in Win98, which is supposed to have full support for
everything I have, I had to use bleeding edge drivers and junk the ones that
came with my hardware, just to get anything working. I had to move my
soundcard twice (see the comment above about pci slots 2 and 5) and my video
card still doesn't work properly (buggy dvd support).

In essence, don't bother. Go for something proven to work, esp on a server.

I haven't tried the RAID support but I have a friend who is having a go with
the exact same board I have. If he has problems/successes I'll let you know.

Adam

------------------------------

From: David Florez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: PCI bus access
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 11:09:52 +0100

Hi All,
Does anybody know if there is a way of mapping
the physical PCI bus addresses into user memory
space (being user root if needed)?

I need to write an application that will be
accessing the PCI bus VERY often. The only thing
I can think of is adding a module to the kernel
(device driver) that maps the PCI bus to kernel
linear space ( by calling ioremap() ) and
therefore the user app would have to issue a
system call to request a PCI bus data transaction
to the device driver. The idea would be finding a
way of getting rid of these overkilling system
calls.

Somebody told me that somebody told him (...) that
this could be done by calling iomap(); (???) from
the user application (providing the user is root)
but I couldn't find this function anywhere.

Many thanks in advance.

David Florez.

------------------------------

From: Roberto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:17:09 GMT

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Florian v. Savigny) wrote:

> I need advice on what hardware is suitable for Linux to back up my
> stuff sequentially (here I want to say that I do not want to burn
> CD-ROMs because I would like to update the backups frequently - say
> every other week or so).

I have an HP Colorado Travan tape streamer that connects to the IDE
controller and it works fine. Mine is can hold 8GB (compressed).

> I use an ordinary PC architecture, with an IDE controller. I do use
an
> Is it more reliable to use a streamer which is directly connected to
> the IDE controller? Or buy an SCSI adapter and an SCSI streamer?

I don't think so. My IDE streamer has always worked without problems.
SCSI streamers are usually DAT streamers (or DLT) and are more
expensive than the travan streamers (about 3x more expensive). Just
the media for the DAT streamers is cheaper.
But DAT is also not faster than the Travan streamers.

Hope this helps

Robert-Jan

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:19:58 GMT

In article <94srh1$m8j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Walter Rusin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm rather new on this group so maybe at first I'll introduce myself.
I'm a
> mathematics student from the University of warsaw (for all who doesn't
know
> where Warsaw is: it's the capital city of Poland). I simultanously run
my
> home computer under Linux (Mandrake 7.2) and Windows ME. I rather use
it for
> some mathematical computation then for gaming but sometimes ;-).
>
> So my question is: does anybody of you have expereince with building
up and
> configuring computation clusters ? I'll try to get financial means to
> construct a standalone HPCC with special refference to financial
> statistics/probability computation and I need someone who'd be
helpfull if I
> get the money... ;-).
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Walter Rusin

Hi!

In addition to the links already given, You might look at
www.aggregate.org, in particular www.aggregate.org/KLAT2. They provide a
lot of hints for choosing the hardware for the cluster as well as
describe an interesting networking solution, allowing to achieve really
high bandwidth without spending a fortune on gigabit ethernet.

Best regards,

J.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Is it possible ?
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:26:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Jean-Stephane Lebrun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to install Linux on the station that I join the
following
> description ?
> If yes, what distribution of Linux have I to use ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jean-Stéohane Lebrun
>
> Manufacturer:         Digital Alpha (Digital Unix) 600 MHz
> Node:                 smalto
> Model:
> OS Level:             V4.0D
> X11 Level:            OSFX11425
> Motif Version:        1.2.4
> Window Manager:       CDE (OSFCDEDT425)
> 3D Graphics Library:  O3DDWSBASE460
> Graphics Board:       PowerStorm4D60T
> Installed RAM:         512 Mbytes
> Free Tmp Space:       835363 kbytes
[skipped]

Hi!

In short, the answer is most probably yes (you are not giving the model
for the machine, but most Alpha hardware will run Linux. The graphics
card will most probably not be supported by X, easiest solution is to
get a supported card. More information is at www.alphalinux.org.

As a side note: I am a Linux advocate myself, but I would not install
Linux on Alpha if it is already running Digital Unix (fairly recent
version, as I can see). Why go with Linux if there is an operating
system designed _specifically_ for this hardware? If You want a newer
version, You can probably get one with a non-commercial license for as
low as 100 bucks (http://tru64unix.compaq.com/noncommercial-unix/). Just
my $0.02.

Best regards,

J.