From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: video *capture* card advice?
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 04:17:12 GMT

Mike Edwards wrote:

> I have never used a video capture card on any platform, but since we
> recently purchased a camcorder, I thought it might be interesting to
> hook it up to my Linux box.  For that , I will need a video capture
> card.  Right, then on to my questions:
>
> Do some video cards double as capture cards?
>
> What do you guys recommend for use with Linux?
>
> I should add that, while I am willing to spend as much as US$200, I'd
> like to keep it under $150.

I've got a cheap Hauppauge WinTV card, and it works fine.  But the
Windows software included saves in MJPEG format, which requires
considerable disk bandwidth, and loads of space.  Linux demands are
similar, although I've seen claims of encoding on the fly.  This is
fine for capturing short clips.

I'm looking for something that can easily capture an entire VHS tape,
and convert it to one or two SVCD disks.  Hardware encoding to MPEG II
seems to coming on strong in the market, and looks like the way to go
to me.  But I'm no expert in this field.  Creative seems to have a new
USB video capture device that list for about $200.  Windows oriented,
but perhaps Creative will document the command interface.

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Peter Teuben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help with X on Dell Inspiron 5000
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:20:38 -0500

"Dean S. Messing" wrote:

> I have a Dell Inspiron 5000 (not 5000e) running Linux
> Mandrake 7.1 with a 1400x1050 pixel 15" screen.  The
> video card is an
>
>      ATI 3D Rage P/M Mobility AGP 2X
>
> with 8MB memory.  I'm running XFree86-3.3.6 Mach64
> server patched with Steve Hsieh's patches according to
> the various Linux on Laptop HOWTOs for the I-5000.  I'm
> using vga=2 in the lilo.conf file as required.
>
> For the life of me, I can't get 1280x1024 to run on
> this thing---which I need for presentations.  I always
> get a distored wrapped-around image.  1400x1050,
> 1024x768, and 800x600 work fine.
>
> Have tried `xvidtune', read ESR's video HOWTO, &c.,
> used `kvideogen' from KDE, all with no good results.
>
> I've also tried 1280x960 thinking that I must stay with
> a 3x4 aspect ratio, this being an LCD display.
>
> ¿Would someone point me straight (or give me a known
> working modeline for 1280x1024 or 1280x960) please?

to my knowledge this mode doesn't work in 3.3.6. Maybe more luck
with 4.0.2, but  i have this model and was not able to get it
running either. Sometime soon I'll switch to 4.0.2 and will try
again

peter

------------------------------

From: Julian Bordas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tina will beat that stupid german
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:14:28 +1100

Tina Carter wrote:

> > Oh, get a life please. If you will keep flooding this (and other)
> > newsgroup(s) with irrelevant and insulting posts, I guess I'll be not
> > the only one wishing to report this to the abuse address, specified in
> > the header of each of your posts ([EMAIL PROTECTED]).
>
> Oh I've a life but question is do you have a life? If you don't like my
> posting ignore me WHY bother to read hmm?
> neeed some spanky spank :)

Are you offering :-)  is that how you earn your money :-)

--
Julian Bordas

Williamstown, Victoria, Australia.

To send email remove the full stop and the
country in which I live, from my email address.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: adaptec
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 05:55:36 -0000

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:26:19 -0700, D. Stimits <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Tom Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> I have a chance to get an adaptec 29160N controller. How do I know if my
>> distribution of Caldera 2.4 desktop support it, it seems like a new product

        Why bother? Do you already have U2 or better storage devices?
        Otherwise, you can get cheaper well supported U2 or SCSI2 cards.

[deletia]

        PCI SCSI2 cards start at $30. A converter for a high density
        external SCSI connector can cost that much...

--

        Common Standards, Common Ownership.

        The alternative only leads to destructive anti-capitalist
        and anti-democratic monopolies.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 06:02:27 -0000

On Wed, 31 Jan 2001 04:17:12 GMT, hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Mike Edwards wrote:
[deletia]
>> I should add that, while I am willing to spend as much as US$200, I'd
>> like to keep it under $150.
>>
>I've got a cheap Hauppauge WinTV card, and it works fine.  But the
>Windows software included saves in MJPEG format, which requires
>considerable disk bandwidth, and loads of space.  Linux demands are
>similar, although I've seen claims of encoding on the fly.  This is
>fine for capturing short clips.
>
>I'm looking for something that can easily capture an entire VHS tape,
>and convert it to one or two SVCD disks.  Hardware encoding to MPEG II
>seems to coming on strong in the market, and looks like the way to go

        It looks like that Creative Gadget only captures at
        352x480. That's a bit small dontchathink. Otherwise,
        I'd be seriously considering that gadget myself.

>to me.  But I'm no expert in this field.  Creative seems to have a new
>USB video capture device that list for about $200.  Windows oriented,
>but perhaps Creative will document the command interface.

        You might be better off looking into PCI hardware encoding
        solutions. Although those seem more pricey.

--

        Finding an alternative should not be like seeking out the holy grail.

        That is the whole damn point of capitalism.
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 02:12:46 -0500
From: Drew Northup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Genius GF4050 Hub card

Peter Riggs wrote:

> Has anyone got any experience of this card under Linux.
> I have noticed a problem with data transfers being slower in one
> direction through the hub than in the reverse direction.
> I'm not talking of a slight difference, I'm getting from 200K to 80M
> bits/sec (1M to 3M bits/sec being the norm) in one direction and 65M to
> 85M bits/sec in the reverse direction.
>
> Has anyone come-across/sorted-out this.
>
> Cheers,
> peter.

Whatever problems you are having should have nothing to do with LINUX (or
any other OS) as the card has a built-in firmware inside of its hub chip.
This is, of course assuming that you can actually get the card to work
under LINUX properly.  I used the pci-ne2k driver to do this (after
finding out from MS Win9x what the PCI bus set the base address to......)
on the 10-base version of this card--and haven't had any real problems
with the setup that I have had.

--
Drew Northup, N1XIM

------------------------------

From: Marcus Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XBox - a Linux port ?
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:32:12 -0800

Sinner from the Prairy wrote:

> Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
>
> > > After looking recently at the h/w specs on the Microsoft XBox gaming
> > > station it seems like this would be a GREAT Linux box ... and if it
> > > has a price tag like most game stations it would be a 'good buy'.
>
> > >   So ... does this seem like a good target for a Linux port ?
>
> > That would be *beautiful*.
>

> If done, will be able to claim a refund for an unused OS?

        No.

        (Why do you suppose I feel confident about posting that? ;)

                                                           Marcus

------------------------------

From: "Heath Doane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: High Class PC and Linux
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 06:01:45 GMT

Hi.

  Just to add my own $0.02 to the fray...  For a serious machine (read
anything with a gig of ram or more, or anything mission-critical) I'd
suggest going with a proper server platform.

   Dell, VA Systems, and IBM all offcially offer Linux-based servers,  and
from personal experience the IBM Serv-Raid adapter is scary, but in a good
way.

   If budget is a factor, at least stay with name brand stuff  -  Asus MoBo,
Intel chips, Micron ram, Adaptec host adapter, 3Com NIC.   Of course, ask a
dozen people, and you'll get  a dozen differnt answers about what's good and
not good.  I speak from my own experience - ymmv.

   Good luck with your project!

      Heath

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Drew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: insmod NVdriver problem
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:16:57 -0800

My sys is:  Asus A7V mobo, Canopus TNT graphic card, Sounblaster Live, 128mb
ram, 30 gig drive running Mandrake 7.2.

I just loaded the NVidia drivers per Mvidia instructions.  i.e. downloaded
NVIDIA_kernel-0.9-6 source, compiled it for my kernel, produced an RPM
(NVIDIA_kernel-0.9-6.i686.rpm) with spec command, land oaded RPM. Then
downloaded the NVIDIA_GLX-0.9-6.i386.rpm and installed it directly. i.e. I
did not generate the GLX rpm from a source file.  I don't need to do I
(just the NVIDIA_kernel rpm I believe)

In summary, I have downloaded the GLX and kernel files fron NVidia for the
TNT card, loaded XFRee86-4.0.1, built and installed the NVIDIA_kernel-0.9-6
rpm from source so it matches my kernel version, and installed the
NVIDIA_GLX rpm (one thing I noted: the source built an i686 rpm for the
kernel drive, and the GLX driver I installed directly from download was an
i386.  Should this matter?)

Anyway, on boot the NVdriver module is not loading automatically.
 However, I can load it with the command "/sbin/insmod NVdriver" and I can
make it load on boot by adding the following to /etc/rc.d/rc.local:
"/sbin/insmod NVdriver."  (I am verifying if the module is loaded by
"/sbin/lsmod")

But the NVdriver module is supposed to load at boot without this rc.local
workaround.

I have the required line in /etc/modules.conf ("alias char-major-195
NVdriver") per Nvidia instructions but it seems to have no effect.  Without
an insmod NVdriver command in the rc.local file, the NVdriver will not load
on boot.  Placing an insmod command in modules.conf (just as an experiment)
was of no help either.

Also, I have a second problem, when the NVdriver module is loaded, kde runs
fine, but when I try to load a hardware accellerated app (like the games
"tuxracer' or "GLtron" which come with Mandrake,  The whole sys locks up
with a bright snow colored screen.

Any ideas would be much appreciated.  I've been after this for 30 to 40
hours and am getting very frustrated.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Dnes)
Subject: Yamaha 724 sound chip parameters
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:04:21 +0000 (UTC)

  Help!!!  I have a Dell with the Yamaha sound chip.  I'm trying
to get it to work under RedHat 7.0  Here's the relevant info from
"cat /proc/pci"...

> Bus  0, device  12, function  0:
>   Multimedia audio controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 3).
>     Vendor id=1073. Device id=d.
>     Medium devsel.  IRQ 9.  Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=5.Max Lat=25.
>     Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4000000 [0xf4000000].

  When I try to play an mp3 I get a series of IRQ/DRQ error messages.
Running the sound install from setup occasionally gives me Linus
Torvalds' voice, other times it it locks up the system solid.  What
additional parameters should I be using with "insmod ymsfb.o" or in
modules.conf?  Further info... under Win98, the control panel shows
it to be using the following resources...

CODEC 220h..22Fh IRQ5 DMA1
FM 388h..38Fh
MPU401 330h..331h IRQ5
I/O 8040h..804Fh

--
Walter Dnes
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Video Card Advice
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:10:40 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <956opb$7lh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I am planning on building a Linux machine using
>the Redhat 7 distribution.  My question is: What
>video card would you recommend, for around $90 to
>$100?

I'd recommend a GeForce 2 MX card, it is not too expensive, and the new
drivers from Nvidia give good 3d performance under XF86 4.0.2.

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60 A         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Mike Dahlgren" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 755 thinkpad & linux.
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 02:22:12 -0600

    Anyone know how to get the sound card to work in a IBM ThinkPad 755? At
least could you tell me what sound card it has, and maybe what I could use
to get it to work.
    <Mike>

------------------------------

Subject: Re: insmod NVdriver problem
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 08:22:24 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drew) wrote in <3a77bc01$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Then downloaded the NVIDIA_GLX-0.9-6.i386.rpm and installed
>it directly. i.e. I did not generate the GLX rpm from a source file.

Did you remove all exisiting GL libraries? You should remove at least these
files *before* installing the GLX rpm:

/usr/lib/libGL.*
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.*
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a

Possibly some more, see the FAQ from NVidia. Do NOT remove libGLU* and
libglut*.

>(one thing I noted: the source built an
>i686 rpm for the kernel drive, and the GLX driver I installed directly
>from download was an i386.  Should this matter?)

THat shouldn't be a problem. At least it worked fine on my setup.

>But the NVdriver module is supposed to load at boot without this
>rc.local workaround.

It is, however AFAIK the insmod in rc.local should be an OK solution?

>will not load on boot.  Placing an insmod command in modules.conf (just
>as an experiment) was of no help either.

Try adding NVdriver to /etc/modules.

>Also, I have a second problem, when the NVdriver module is loaded, kde
>runs fine, but when I try to load a hardware accellerated app (like the
>games "tuxracer' or "GLtron" which come with Mandrake,  The whole sys
>locks up with a bright snow colored screen.

I think you need to read the fine print in the FAQ on Nvidias website - do
take care to remove ALL previous GL libs before installing the NVIDIA_GLX
rpm. After installing the RPM, you may need to place symlinks to
/usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.* in /usr/lib too.

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 02:34:31 -0700
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:26:19 -0700, D. Stimits <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Tom Hamilton wrote:
> >>
> >> I have a chance to get an adaptec 29160N controller. How do I know if my
> >> distribution of Caldera 2.4 desktop support it, it seems like a new product
>
>         Why bother? Do you already have U2 or better storage devices?
>         Otherwise, you can get cheaper well supported U2 or SCSI2 cards.
>
> [deletia]
>
>         PCI SCSI2 cards start at $30. A converter for a high density
>         external SCSI connector can cost that much...
>
> --
>
>         Common Standards, Common Ownership.
>
>         The alternative only leads to destructive anti-capitalist
>         and anti-democratic monopolies.
>                                                                / | \

If he doesn't already have it, then ultra 160 drives are only slightly
more expensive than u2. Most of the adaptec u2 cards are supported by
the same driver that supports ultra 160, and ultra 160's aic7xxx is very
reliable. The trick is whether the "N" version is usable, it is a
special case 32 bit pci slot card (most ultra 160 require a 64 bit pci
bus, since ultra 160 is capable of exceeding the capacity of a normal 32
bit pci bus). There is a lot to be said for going ultra 160 if there is
any chance of later expansion (and FYI, the ultra 160 controllers
support running u2 lvd at the same time in most cases; the bus timings
are very much the same, but the ultra 160 clocks on both rising and
falling edges, plus adds a few more instructions). The thing that really
hits home though is that most people ask about how some piece of
hardware will work, but they never state what it will be used for, and
what would be expected of it...if cost really is the question, including
controller, then u2 would be better, but drive cost itself probably
isn't enough to make the difference.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Harri Haataja)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:08:23 GMT

Mike Edwards wrote:

>Do some video cards double as capture cards?

At least ASUS has cards that do that. I had a TNT V3400 but since
the nvidia drivers suck and I couldn't get the SAA capture chip
on the board detected either, I traded it for a Matrox.

.. and now I'm looking for a better card (over 8M) and a video
capture board. The cheap hauppages seem to be the most popular
ones.

(Other issues were andwered on other threads)

--
Windows Task Scheduler is a really nifty tool and should probably
be disabled and removed if at all possible.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Help me build a Monster Machine
From: Paul Repacholi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 31 Jan 2001 05:12:24 +0800

"Ted Weldon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hallo folks,
>
> I have been tasked with putting together a server box for our local work
> group here.  The prime purpose of this box will be for serious number
> crunching (astrophysics analysis), with lots of room for data.  It will also
> serve as a desktop (desk-side) machine for me, so I want a decent video card
> for XFee86 4.0.  I have around $15k to build a system with a 200 GB RAID.

> MB:    SuperMicro Super 370DE6 (SCSI)  $600
> CPU:   Dual PIII-1GHz                  $700

I think you should have a look at the API dual Alphas, and ask what is
comming down the line. The Alpha will blow the x86 in the dust for
number crunching. If it a real bandwidth hog, consider a 265DP, DS20E
or ES40.

What software are you running?

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.

From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 755 thinkpad & linux.
Date: 31 Jan 2001 17:17:17 +0800

Mike Dahlgren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     Anyone know how to get the sound card to work in a IBM ThinkPad 755? At
> least could you tell me what sound card it has, and maybe what I could use
> to get it to work.
>     <Mike>

If you're running Red Hat Linux, see if sndconfig can find it. There's a
discussion list at Red Hat for it too.