  Re: Having Windows98 and Linux on the same HD (Rod Smith)

From: "b77819" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,it.comp.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Diamond Viper II X problems (S3 2000)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 20:18:23 -0800

Actually, i have the same problem, with a trident 3D Blade!? i thought it
was my hardware too. has X ever run correctly then reverted to the garbled
state? did Xconfigurator work? but no cigar in X itself?

--
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is
where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station
news:fiXI5.2141$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Rainer Lehrig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using old PC's
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 11:32:13 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Is it possible to have say 3 pc's, where only one has a graphics, sound
> card, cdrom, floppy, and Monitor. They all have an ethernet card,
> harddrive, motherboard, and processor.
I think the old PC's should have a keyboard also
I don't know how to install your old pc's without graphics card.
After installation you can remove the monitor
> Could you then install linux
> onto all of the pc's but use one pc (the one with the grpahics card
> etc) to interact with the others. i.e. with the one teminal you can
> comminucate via exceed with all pc's linux OS's.
You only need exceed when you want to access the linux boxes from
windows
On Linux you can use:
telnet old-pc
or
xhost +
telnet old-pc
export DISPLAY=pc-with-monitor:0
then you can start any x-windows application (the same way as you would
do with exceed)

------------------------------

From: "Jeroen de Vries" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Having Windows98 and Linux on the same HD
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 11:48:39 +0100

Georg Hasenöhrl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hi!
>
> Apolozige if this question is to easy or someone has answered this
> before... but i am a linux beginner -)
>
> I want to install suse linux 7.0 on my windows 98 PC. My harddisk has
> 15GB. I have read in the suse documents that the boot partition of linux
> and windows must be in the first 1024 cylinders.
>
> I have the tool PartionMagic for partitioning the harddisk. This tool
> can format the also partitions for linux (linux ext2).
>
> Can I partition my harddisk as following?
>
> 10 MB boot partition for linux (in the first 1024 cylinders)
> 8 GB for windows 98 (C:)  (must I divide the windows partition because
> of the 1024 cylinders?)
> 6 GB for linux
>
> Thanx for your help!

Hi Georg,

You are on right track.
Before I continue NOTE that if you change your partitions you need to
re-install W98. Because you are creating a new partition which you ant as
the very first partition, your W98 partition automatically changes from
C-drive to D-drive.
What you could do is decide to re-install W98 and configure partitions as
follow:
A. primary boot partition of 10 or 16Mb
B. primary W98 partition 2Gb (or 1Gb)
C. create an extended partition for the rest of the available disk space
D. inside the extended part create your Linux partitions as you suit.
E. Use any space left for partitions where you can install W98 applications
or for data storage.

Make sensible choices about partition sizes. If you are the only one using
Linux on your machine you can keep /home and /var rather small. Watch out
that you have enough room for /usr. See also the HOWTO section on
http://www.linuxdoc.org/ for tips on partitioning your harddisk. Also very
interesting for you to read is the Linux System Administration Made Easy
guide on http://www.linuxdoc.org/guides.html

If you want to keep your current W98 installation you could do the
following:
F. clean your W98 disk, empty temp dirs and your recycle bin
G. defrag your disk so all data is moved to the front of your disk.
H. Check your total disk usage and decide at which level you can split your
disk.
I. Use fips (comes with most Linux distributions somewhere in \dosutils READ
THE FIPS HOWTO!) to split your disk.
J. proceed with point C.

After partitioning you can start the Linux setup
Formatting of drives is done by the Linux installation self leave it up to
the Linux setup.

This is my partitioning of my 12Gb Harddisk:

Tabel:
Name  type          W9x    NT   Linux           Amount
W98    p FAT32   C:       C:     /dev/hda1   3012 Mb

Extended  4369 Mb
INSTALL  e FAT32  D: D:    988 Mb
swap  e linux swap - - swap   256 Mb
boot  e linux native - -     16 Mb
root  e linux native - -    300 Mb
home  e linux native - -    300 Mb
usr  e linux native - -   1559 Mb (rest)
var  e linux native - -    200 Mb
lfs  e linux native - -    750 Mb

W2K  p NTFS  - F:   4118 Mb
DVD/CDROM -  Y: Y: /dev/cdrom -

Name is the volume name or mount point in case of Linux terms.
type p stands for primary partition and e stands for extended
W9x is drive letters under W9x
NT is drive letters under W2K

Good luck

------------------------------

From: Rainer Lehrig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 11:48:53 +0100

Georg Hasen=F6hrl wrote:
> =

> Hi!
> =

> Apolozige if this question is to easy or someone has answered this
> before... but i am a linux beginner -)
> =

> I want to install suse linux 7.0 on my windows 98 PC. My harddisk has
> 15GB. I have read in the suse documents that the boot partition of linu=
> and windows must be in the first 1024 cylinders.
> =

> I have the tool PartionMagic for partitioning the harddisk. This tool
> can format the also partitions for linux (linux ext2).
> =

> Can I partition my harddisk as following?
> =

> 10 MB boot partition for linux (in the first 1024 cylinders)
> 8 GB for windows 98 (C:)  (must I divide the windows partition because
> of the 1024 cylinders?)
> 6 GB for linux
> =

> Thanx for your help!

I would give you the advice to use "loadlin" as boot mechanism. See your
SuSE manual. In this case you define a dos boot menu. When you select
linux the dos program loadlin will boot your linux. So there will be no
conflicts with an existing windows installation.
You do not need partition magic. The installation program of linux will
ask for your partitions and will create them. Don't worry about the 1024
cylinders.

Yours:
Rainer Lehrig

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marcus O.C. Metzler)
Subject: Re: Linux with analog+digital TV-card
Date: 06 Feb 2001 11:40:31 +0100

Rainer Lehrig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have a analog Hauppauge WinTV PCI and a digital Hauppauge DVBs
> installed in my PC. Can anybody tell me more about issues in installing
> both cards simultaniously in one PC ?
>
> When I "make insmod" on the digital driver I can see 1 digital channel
> with kwintv, but of course I can't switch the channels. When I try
> gVideo I can also see the channel but when I move the mouse cursor into
> the window of gVideo the program terminates with a segmentation fault.
This probably hasn't got anything to do with the analog card. I guess
that you get a segfault because I set a newe pointer when the screen
is entered and somehow you don't have the pixmap installed. Try
commenting the lines
ptr = gdk_cursor_new(GDK_RTL_LOGO);
gdk_window_set_cursor(widget->window, ptr);
gdk_cursor_destroy(ptr);

in the gtvscreen.c file and recompile gVideo.
Anyhow, you should use tuxview, since gVideo will not be supported
much longer. You can also use kwintv for viewing and tuxzap for
changing channels.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                     http://www.metzlerbros.de
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    http://www.convergence.de

Convergence Integrated Media GmbH
Rosenthaler Str. 51
D-10178 Berlin

From: Daniel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to debug hardware?
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 11:30:05 -0000

Hi, I have RedHat7 on AMD-K6 and the system reboots without any message,
just like as
someone pressed the reset button, generaly 10-20 minutes after booting
(typically when X is running, but also happened in md). I tried RedHat 6.2
and the same happens. I have 128M RAM and tried with each of the 64M only,
but the nasty rebooting comes again. Syslog says nothing.  The oddest
thing is that I also have w2k installed, and it never happened with that,
so I suspect there is nothing wrong with the electric supply. Does anyone
know how to check each piece of the hardware to trace it back what goes
wrong? Any comments are warmly welcome. Thanks a lot.
Daniel

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Bratcher)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 11:32:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Georg Hasenöhrl wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Apolozige if this question is to easy or someone has answered this
>before... but i am a linux beginner -)
>
>I want to install suse linux 7.0 on my windows 98 PC. My harddisk has
>15GB. I have read in the suse documents that the boot partition of linux
>and windows must be in the first 1024 cylinders.
>
>I have the tool PartionMagic for partitioning the harddisk. This tool
>can format the also partitions for linux (linux ext2).
>
>Can I partition my harddisk as following?
>
>10 MB boot partition for linux (in the first 1024 cylinders)
>8 GB for windows 98 (C:)  (must I divide the windows partition because
>of the 1024 cylinders?)
>6 GB for linux

That would work fine.

Also, if you get the latest LILO (from, say, www.freshmeat.org) you could
even simplify it further:

8GB Windows
6GB Linux

And you'd be done. I have a 20GB drive with:

2GB Windows FAT32 (C:)
12GB Data FAT32 (D:)
6GB Linux (ext2fs)

--
Mark Bratcher
To reply, remove _UNSPAM from my email address

------------------------------

From: Michael Heinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I/O errors with parallel tape drive
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 11:54:53 GMT

I'm running

Mandrake 7.2 (2.2.17-21mdk)
IBM External Tape (Iomega 3200)
Ftape 4.04a

When I read the tape, it sometimes works but most times it will run for
several minutes then a stream of errors will repeat over and over again:

Feb  5 20:32:13 monster kernel: [030] 0         fdc-io.c (__fdc_command) -
fdc not ready.
Feb  5 20:32:13 monster kernel: [031] 0        fdc-io.c
(__fdc_issue_command) - __fdc_command(fdc, out_data, out_count) failed:Feb
5 20:32:13 monster kernel: [032] 0     ftape-rw.c (ftape_wait_segment) -
fdc_interrupt_wait failed.
Feb  5 20:32:14 monster kernel: [033] 0       fdc-io.c (fdc_reset) - no
drive polling interrupt!.
Feb  5 20:32:14 monster kernel: [034] 0         fdc-io.c (__fdc_command) -
fdc not ready.
Feb  5 20:32:14 monster kernel: [035] 0        fdc-io.c
(__fdc_issue_command) - __fdc_command(fdc, out_data, out_count) failed:Feb
5 20:32:14 monster kernel: [036] 0          fdc-io.c (__fdc_command) - fdc
not ready.
Feb  5 20:32:14 monster kernel: [037] 0         fdc-io.c
(__fdc_issue_command) - __fdc_command(fdc, out_data, out_count) failedFeb
5 20:32:14 monster kernel: [038] 0        fdc-io.c (fdc_set_drive_specs) -
Setting of drive specs failed.
Feb  5 20:32:17 monster kernel: [039] 0             fdc-io.c (fdc_reset) -
no drive polling interrupt!.
Feb  5 20:32:17 monster kernel: [040] 0               fdc-io.c
(__fdc_command) - fdc not ready.
Feb  5 20:32:17 monster kernel: [041] 0              fdc-io.c
(__fdc_issue_command) - __fdc_command(fdc, out_data, out_count) fFeb  5
20:32:17 monster kernel: [042] 0                fdc-io.c (__fdc_command) -
fdc not ready.
Feb  5 20:32:17 monster kernel: [043] 0               fdc-io.c
(__fdc_issue_command) - __fdc_command(fdc, out_data, out_count)
Feb  5 20:32:17 monster kernel: [044] 0              fdc-io.c
(fdc_set_drive_specs) - Setting of drive specs failed.

Any suggestions? I've been screwing with this for a couple of days now, and
I have to admit that at this point I'm stumped!

--
Michael Heinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Florent Nolot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PartPort Problem
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:53:30 +0100

Hi,

On kernel 2.4.0 and 2.4.1, when I make a insmod parport_pc, I have the
message:

0x378 IRQ conflict possible.

Even with this message, the modprobe ppa (for my Zip Drive) works fine
but with a parallel port configuration either PS/2 or SPP and so a very
bad transfert rate.

On a kernel 2.2.17 and 2.2.18, I have not this IRQ conflict message and
my parport is install on EPP 32bit.

Help me please, thanks.

Florent NOLOT
LaRIA Amiens
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pages Perso: http://www.laria.u-picardie.fr/~nolot

From: mst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 08:25:55 -0500

Rainer Lehrig wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Is it possible to have say 3 pc's, where only one has a graphics, sound
> > card, cdrom, floppy, and Monitor. They all have an ethernet card,
> > harddrive, motherboard, and processor.
> I think the old PC's should have a keyboard also
> I don't know how to install your old pc's without graphics card.
> After installation you can remove the monitor
> > Could you then install linux
> > onto all of the pc's but use one pc (the one with the grpahics card
> > etc) to interact with the others. i.e. with the one teminal you can
> > comminucate via exceed with all pc's linux OS's.
> You only need exceed when you want to access the linux boxes from
> windows
> On Linux you can use:
> telnet old-pc
> or
> xhost +
> telnet old-pc
> export DISPLAY=pc-with-monitor:0
> then you can start any x-windows application (the same way as you would
> do with exceed)

Or you could use VNC http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

MST

------------------------------

From: mst <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware differences???
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 08:28:39 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> What is the main difference between a sun workstation runnning sunOS
> and a desktopPC running Linux?
> Are there huge benefits for using one or the other?

Heh - the main difference would be they're using completely different
CPUs (Sparc for Sun and x86 for PCs).

MST

------------------------------

From: Chris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:48:52 +0000

One of them will be quite a bit cheaper than the other ;)

------------------------------

From: Karl-Heinz Herrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware
Subject: Re: Really old printer - Epson FX-80
Date: 06 Feb 2001 15:15:32 +0100

"Rob Malpass" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Can I use an Epson FX-80 printer with Linux?

Yes, definitely.

> As far as I can tell, the FX-80 (now nearly 20 years old) is not directly
> supported but given that it's so old and so basic, I wonder if some generic
> driver might be the answer.

What do you mean by "directly supported"? ghostscript has epsmid
epshigh and epslow or very similar printer drivers.  These were
working quite nicely with my RX80 (the one with even less features).

Only problem you will encounter: most ghostscript distributions will
not include these drivers by default so you will have to compile
ghostscript yourself and switch on the eps* drivers.

And for my RX80 I had to patch the driver a little bit. These old
matrix printers are quite slow so the driver detects when the will be
a long space without any dots and skip that using tab -- but the RX80
had a restricted tab-length which could cause horizontal
misalignment. The lines doing this were easy enough to find and I just
switched the feature off by telling it only empty spaces of 1 mile or
something are to be skipped.... ;-)

I posted the patch to SuSE -- maybe they still have it if you look for
the RX80. (SuSE 4.2 at that time BTW).

I hope this helps,

K.-H.

--
===================================
Karl-Heinz Herrmann

------------------------------

From: "Thomas Weidner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems with ESS Solo1 and Kernel2.4.1
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 15:26:48 +0100

Hi NG,

I compiled kernel 2.4.1 with support for my ESS Solo1 as a module. But when
i run insmod the module tells me that no valid device could be found. Does
anyone know how to fix this ?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 15:06:01 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Georg Hasenöhrl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi!
>
> Apolozige if this question is to easy or someone has answered this
> before... but i am a linux beginner -)
>
> I want to install suse linux 7.0 on my windows 98 PC. My harddisk has
> 15GB. I have read in the suse documents that the boot partition of linux
> and windows must be in the first 1024 cylinders.
>
> I have the tool PartionMagic for partitioning the harddisk. This tool
> can format the also partitions for linux (linux ext2).
>
> Can I partition my harddisk as following?
>
> 10 MB boot partition for linux (in the first 1024 cylinders)
> 8 GB for windows 98 (C:)  (must I divide the windows partition because
> of the 1024 cylinders?)
> 6 GB for linux

Yes, this will work. The 8GB+10MB for Windows is pretty close to the
1024 limit, so you might want to reduce it to just under 8GB. OTOH, I
believe that Win98 includes some workarounds, so that probably won't be
a problem. Finally, the Linux space should probably be split up at
least a bit. The 10MB partition will be mounted as /boot, and the
remaining 6GB should be split AT LEAST into a swap and a / (root)
partition. You might also want to split off /home from /, too.
Experienced administrators often split off other directories, too, but
as a newbie you're probably better off not doing so, because you won't
be able to adequately judge the appropriate sizes of the partitions.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com