From: "Geek Mystique" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GeForce2MX on i810 MB - howto enable AGP and bypass i810?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 12:14:20 GMT

I have no personal experience with the motherboard you're talking about, but
i think there should be a bios option or jumper setting to disable the intel
video-chipset. Check your manual

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Stephen Rank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Memory pb : 384M real, 64M effective
Date: 04 Apr 2001 13:23:28 +0100

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've got this kind of problem : Linux only sees 64M of RAM. When I
> > modify lilo.conf by adding
>
> There's no problem with that.
>
> > append="mem=384M" and executing lilo, my whole system crashes at
> > reboot with segmentation faults everywhere, and i must reinstall.

[ replying to a reply, as the parent post has gone AWOL ]

You don't need to reinstall: just pass the `mem=xxxM' to the kernel
via the Lilo prompt when you boot (e.g., ``Linux mem=300M'').  Once
your system boots, you can adjust your lilo.conf appropriately and
then run lilo.

HTH,

Stephen

------------------------------

From: Anthony Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 12:31:13 GMT

On Wed, 04 Apr 2001 00:54:08 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R.
Williams) wrote:
>> Even when I just have to reboot into
>> safe mode to change a messed up setting or have load up new video
>> drivers that kill my video settings, those few minutes of flicker
>> really do not agree with me.
>
>Safe mode?  You still using toys?

Only Win2K.  It doesn't require a boot into Safe Mode TOO often, only
when I REALLY screw things up! :>

>  WinNT and Win2K will
>allow changing the video mode without re-booting.  I thought
>Win98 would too, but I don't do toys (not that I consider
>anything from M$ much above a toy).

Win98 (and most revisions of Win95) do allow changing video mode
without rebooting, I'm just talking about the minute or two between
when the system comes up and when I can actually get into the display
properties, switch to the right tab, go to the advanced properties,
switch tabs again and then chose a higher refresh rate up to a more
reasonable level.

>> 75Hz and I'm
>> fine, 85Hz and I'm happy.  Unfortunately my new video card and my
>> monitor don't agree at all at anything higher then 75Hz, anything
>> higher and my screen starts to warble just slightly.
>
>Send 'em back!  85Hz should be easy with today's cards.  I'm
>using a Matrox Mystique B/220 here at 1280x1024@85Hz.  THis
>is a two-year old IBM G94 (a damned good one).  This antique
>hardware works quite well.

I don't know quite where the problem is.  Monitor worked fine when I
got it with my old Matrox card, and my current video cards work fine
on other monitors, but put the two together and they aren't too happy.
At 1280x1024@85Hz they're fine though, it's only 1024x768 at anything
higher then 75Hz.  I'm testing it out at 1152x864@85Hz as we speak.
Anything higher than that and I can't read stuff without really
cranking the font size up.

=======================
Tony Hill

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 12:38:03 GMT

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Time to go for lcd flatscreens.

Yuck.  None for me, thanks.  They're fine if you only use the one
native resolution, otherwise, not so good.

------------------------------

From: "Alexander" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where is my mouse?
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 14:59:38 +0200

Thank, I have a serial mouse.
If I create a primary partition, I lose it. I tried with only one primary
partition (100%) and I lost too. But if I did:
1 primary partition 1M: FAT 32
2 extended partition: FAT32
3 Linux native partition
4 Linux swap partition

I get
1 non dos partition
2 extended partition: FAT32
3 Linux native partition
4 Linux swap partition

Everytime I lose the first partition. Always The first partition becomes a
non Dos partition.

I can use the mouse from the win95, but I don't want use wX.

Thanks

------------------------------

Subject: Re: can't boot after updating kernel to 2.4.0
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 13:35:58 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (stephen) wrote in <9aek9r$4e1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>reboot after after updating kernel to 2.4.0 from 2.2.16(redhat7.0)
>, I can't get the redhat 7.0 boot. The error state is as blow while
>I reboot my notebook:

>1.copy linux2.4.0.gz to /usr/src
>2.tar zvxf linux2.4.0.gz
>3.cd /usr/src/linux/   then "make mrproper"
>4.make oldconfig

There are known problems with 2.4 and some notebooks, other than that, you
should make sure you do not unpack the 2.4 sources on top of an old
sourcetree, which usually recides in /usr/src/linux. Rename /usr/src/linux
before unpacking the source, and try again.

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60 A         [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Barry L. Kline" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: does anyone know vmware?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 09:48:13 -0400

Dan wrote:

> hi all,
>
> I run redhat 7.0 on SMP, and I'm having some sort of trouble with the
> vmware-config.pl working with my autoconf.h, I was told that I can
> comment out few lines with SMP on it in vmware-config.pl, but I forgot
> what those lines are.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> -dan

I use VMWare and NT on my RH 7.0 SMP box with no trouble.  Did you check
out their website for assistance?

Barry

------------------------------

From: "Michael Schmidtlein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Memory problem
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 15:49:25 +0200

hi
try the param "mem=256M" at the lilo boot promt

if that works, ad:
append = "mem=256M"
in your lilo.conf

michael.schmidtlein

> Hi all,
>
> Maybe a stupid question, but I run an Intel PIII 700 with 256MB ram with
Red

------------------------------

From: "Bastiaan Schaap" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:06:51 +0200

Thanx Michael,

I'll try that!  But guess what? I put in a bootable disk with windows 95 (I
know.....) and run mem from the prompt. It shows: 64MB (!). So I guess it's
not linux that's causing the problem... I'll try your solution, if it
doesn't work I'll put in new mobo...

Bastiaan Schaap
Desyde BV
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel 06 - 51998277
Fax 035 - 5430547
http://www.desyde.nl
________________________________

Everybody should believe in something: I believe I'll have another drink.

news:9af8pl$339$04$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hun)
Subject: Kernel-2.4.2 & network card stopped! transmit timed out
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 14:06:55 GMT

Hello,

My SMP box has two Celeron CPUs, after I upraded the BIOS
I have greate improvement of stability. 9 days without crash system!

Do I have to upgrade kernel 2.4.3? I already patched kernel 2.4.2-ac20.

In addition, this Linux box can not send data to local ftp server. Only to this
server. The data trasmission just stop while making a lot of packet collisions! I
posted this stuff a weeks ago but nobody answered. :(
This box send and receives with other computers, local computer either public ftp
server I've tested many times, without no problem.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the Network device information:
Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.13a (January 20, 2001)
eth0: Macronix 98715 PMAC rev 37 at 0xc800, 00:80:C6:F9:7B:26, IRQ 16.

The below is the log messages.

Apr  4 06:42:04 hanixsmp kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
Apr  4 06:42:04 hanixsmp kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out, status e46980c5, CSR12 00
0050ca, resetting..
.
Apr  4 06:42:12 hanixsmp kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
Apr  4 06:42:12 hanixsmp kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out, status e46980c7, CSR12 00
0050ca, resetting..
.
Apr  4 06:42:20 hanixsmp kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
Apr  4 06:42:20 hanixsmp kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out, status e46980c7, CSR12 00
0050ca, resetting..

P.S. To fix system problems in Linux is slow but, it becomes better.
     Maybe I want too much expectation for this low-end SMP box though.

--

Registered Linux user #207121
http://counter.li.org

------------------------------

From: Karl-Heinz Herrmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux and cray j90
Date: 04 Apr 2001 16:04:02 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dieter Eckhardt) writes:

> i can get a cray j90 supercomputer more or less for free. all i have
> to do is to pick it up. its no OS included in the deal and i'm afraid
> i cant pay for a licensed version of unicos which goes for about $8k
>
> is anyone having experihences with cray supercomputers here and if
> there are any alternatives to unicos? the system has 32 cpus and
> something like 4 or 8 gb ram (megawords).
>
> the greatest i can imagine is to run linux on this system, but i'm
> afraid it wont work.

Do you know which CPU's are in there? Cray T3E are Dec Alpha
Processors and could maybe work (Alpha Linux).

K.-H.

--
===================================
Karl-Heinz Herrmann

------------------------------

From: Young4ert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 32MB I/O MagicVideo TNT2 AGP
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 14:02:28 GMT

Hi,

I just purchased an I/OMagic 32MB TNT2 2/3D Video Graphics Accelerator AGP
(Part #:DR-DA600) card and am wondering if this card is ully supported
under Linux.  On the box, it has an nVIDIA logo.  I certainly would like to
hear from anyone who is using this card under Linux in term of 3D
performance and acceleration.

TIA.

------------------------------

From: "Bastiaan Schaap" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 16:27:13 +0200

Hi Dieter,

(Unfortunately) I do not have any experience with Cray's, but as I can
recall from some specs I saw, the Cray has special 'backbone' hardware to
'tie' up the CPU-boards.... I'm afraid you'll need special drivers.. Isn't
there more info on the Cray website?

cheers,

--
Bastiaan Schaap
Desyde BV

'First things first -- but not necessarily in that order' -- Dr Who

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "KW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: K7V133A & RH7.0
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 10:45:20 -0500

Jeff...

My KT133A based board loves it...(Abit KT7A).   Be sure to leave SMP turned off
though...  I had trouble compiling 2.4.2 kernel with it turned on...  I
figure since it's basically the same chipset they should get along about
as well...

------------------------------

From: Mike Moran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Crackling/Static caused by Ensoniq + Esd?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 17:01:50 +0100

I'm forwarding a reply on behalf of Gerry (thanks!) who kindly replied
many months after my first query. I haven't had a chance to try the fix
out yet, but here it is for anyone else.

                   Web: http://houseofmoran.com/
               AvantGo: http://houseofmoran.com/Lite/

------------------------------

From: jpajirent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Athlon processor compatibility with SuSe
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 18:01:51 +0200

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 16:53:11 -0700, Allen Blackburn
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi there:
>
>I'm really new to Linux (but not Unix), and I'm gearing up to set up my
>own PC with Linux. I was thinking about buying a new 1.1 GHz AMD 761
>Athlon chip with 266 MHz bus, with a Gigabyte GA7DX motherboard. I also
>wanted to load SuSe 7.1. However, these hardware choices are not on
>their website in their hardware compatiblity list. My questions are: Is
>it a bad idea to go ahead and try to make it work, or would anyone out
>there recommend a different set of hardware and/or Linux distribution?
>
>Thank you very much in advance!

Athlon won't be a problem. The problem may come from the other
extension cards...
On my system, I had no problem since Suse 7.0 which works fine with
all my hardware, except my Elsa Gladiac II MX. But with Suse 7.1, I
had much much more problems. Mandrake 7.2 is the sole distro which
install without any problem and which support all my hardware (even
the Elsa Gladiac II MX videocard and Tekram DC395 scsi card)

The best thing to do is to download the eval iso and get a try !!!