From: Sean E McSherry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sharing Files.
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 16:18:02 GMT

If you're trying to do this over a local network, look into the Samba
package.... their website is http://www.samba.org/ ...
If you want to access DOS partitions on a machine from within Linux, try
looking at the "mount" man page...
(There are also packages to look at your Linux partitions from within
Windows, but I haven't had the need yet :) )

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.raid
Subject: Re: support for adaptec 2100s under RH7.0?
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 18:22:57 +0200

In comp.os.linux.hardware Bjorn Wennberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> In comp.os.linux.hardware Bjorn Wennberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley) writes:
>> > http://people.FreeBSD.org/~gibbs/linux/
>> > (The 6.1.5 version of the aic7xxx driver apparantly had a bug in the link-line
>> > adding the driver last when compiling the driver so you could actually end up
>> > getting your old /dev/sda becoming /dev/sdb. Gibbs recommends using the latest
>> I'm just trying for stability. I have  a 19160 controller and 4 WD lvd
>> disks. I've stepped the controler down to 40MB/s and it's much more
>> stable. But putting 3 disks online and I get various horrors ...
>>
>>   SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 3 lun 0 return code = 70000
>>    I/O error: dev 08:21, sector 11498
>>    (scsi0:A:3:0): Unexpected busfree in Data-out phase
>>    SEQADDR == 0x56
>>    (scsi0:A:3:0): Unexpected busfree in Data-out phase
>>    SEQADDR == 0x57
>>    (scsi0:A:3:0): Unexpected busfree in Data-out phase
>>    SEQADDR == 0x55

> I'm not a hardware wuzz, but you should try to enable the extra
> checks in scsi commands under the SCSI kernel config.

Everything's checked.

> About termination. You just hook up all disks on the cable and terminate
> the cable at the end.

Yes, we know. The question is whether term-pwr does anything when the
disk itself is the terminator (i.e. last on the line, and the physical
end of bus too, and set to term). It's not clear to me if term-pwr is
for external terminators or for the internal one. It only makes sense
to me if it's for the external one (which isn't there).

> You should also try one disk at a time and see if you are simply having
> problems with one of the disks.

No disk on its own has any problems (didn't I say so? Oh well), though
I haven't tried them all in every position and on every socket on the
cable. I do have two cables and at least 4 sockets on each to try! The
number of combos is prohibitively large. My impression from experiments
is that the controller will do 80 or 169MB/s, but set it to do either
and the disks go nuts. I guess they're scsi 2 and the controller can't tell.

Nevertheless, low level scans from the controller show nothing bad, so it
must do all those at a  conservative rate. I measured no difference in speed
to completion under various settings.

Maybe the 19160 has an unanounced limit of 2 scsi didks that it can
handle.

>> This is with the 6.1.[7] driver under 2.4.0, but I believe it must be
>> hardware or cable related. The machine tends not to complete the bios
>> scan sometimes, which usually means cable or termination. Mind you,
>> the controller just verified (low level sweep) the disks successfully.
>>
>> There are too many parameters to call ... One of the disks is offering
>> the termination. Should I set term-pwr on it? Surely that's only in
>> case an external terminator is there. That disk is set to term.
>>
>> And what's with the init-target jumpers? I have the disks set to
>> delayed startup and the controller set to issue startup, which seems to
>> me to be right in order to avoid the forst power spike.
>>
>> Sigh .. maybe I'll step things down further.
>>
>> I'll also patch the 2.2.15 kernel (it's my favorite).

This setting is safe. Three on line and things go bonkers.

Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 6.1.7
aic7892: Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/255 SCBs
Channel A Target 0 Negotiation Settings
        User: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz DT, offset 255, 16bit)
        Goal: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 31, 16bit)
        Curr: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 31, 16bit)
        Channel A Target 0 Lun 0 Settings
                Commands Queued 152520
                Commands Active 0
                Command Openings 253
                Max Tagged Openings 253
                Device Queue Frozen Count 0
Channel A Target 1 Negotiation Settings
        User: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz DT, offset 255, 16bit)
        Goal: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 31, 16bit)
        Curr: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 31, 16bit)
        Channel A Target 1 Lun 0 Settings
                Commands Queued 60
                Commands Active 0
                Command Openings 253
                Max Tagged Openings 253
                Device Queue Frozen Count 0
Channel A Target 2 Negotiation Settings
        User: 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz DT, offset 255, 16bit)

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: WDIGTL   Model: WDE9100 ULTRA2   Rev: 1.21
    Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
   Vendor: WDIGTL   Model: WDE9100 ULTRA2   Rev: 1.21
    Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Yozza" <reply.to - [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: RH7.0 on A7M266, worth it?
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 17:44:22 +0100

What a load of crap!

Crucial uses Micron's chips that are of the highest quality. Some people have
got PC2100 from Crucial to operate at 2-2-2 at over 160MHz DDR FSB! The PC1600
was fine at 2-2-2 upto 150MHz as well, and even outperformed Samsung and
Hyundai's own proper PC2100 chips in compatability and performance/overclocking.

Crucial's PC2100 operates at CL2.5, but every person I have heard who uses it
says it does well over its spec at CL2.

Goto www.lostcircuits.com and look at some reviews of Micron RAM. It is far more
compatible with other motherboards, and can tolerate much stricter timings. It
also offers about a 2-5MBytes/sec performance advantage over other much more
expensive PC2100 RAM.

Yoz
--
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
          "If the world didn't suck, We'd all fall off"

============
Website: www.i.am/yaoyaoliu
=========
PGP key available on the website
news:bRGz6.3720$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Markku Kolkka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to get higher resolution redhat 7
Date: 07 Apr 2001 19:30:38 +0300

"tony" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> My display card is winfast geforce2 mx, monitor is petvision 17'', after
> installing redhat7, i can only get 640*480 resolution, what can i do to get
> higher resolution?

Either download the GeForce drivers from Nvidia
(http://www.nvidia.com/Products/Drivers.nsf/Linux.html) or upgrade to
a newer version of XFree86 (from RedHat or www.xfree86.org).

--
        Markku Kolkka

From: "Colorado Dave" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 17:14:11 GMT

Is it possible for people to DISCUSS an issue without resorting to
profanity, name-calling, and insults?
Not everyone uses the same search engines for pricing, or has the time
to check every statement made to verify prices are current.  It was not
very long ago (maybe 4 weeks??) that DDR RAM WAS 4X more expensive.

And just because someone doesn't agree with you or has incorrect
information doesn't call for this kind of language.
Is this how you talk to everyone?  Does it make you feel superior?
Just correct the statement with "I can buy DDR RAM at x dollars here."

Both of you sound rather...childish!

CD

news:nrHz6.4673$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 12:46:59 -0400
From: grausam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problems burning 80 minute cd

Hello everyone!
My cd burner always works well with any 74 minute cd that i want to feed
it, but i just recently purchaced some fujifilm 80 minute cds and
cdrecord doesn't like it.
Do you think that this is a problem with my hardware, cdrecord, or the
discs themselves? Here is partial output from cdrecord:

ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 4
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11849 (97:24/01)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359849 (79:59/74)
Disk type:    Long strategy type (Cyanine, AZO or similar)
Manuf. index: 25
Manufacturer: Taiyo Yuden Company Limited
cdrecord: Input/output error. read disk info: scsi sendcmd: retryable
error
CDB:  51 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 06 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x3 Medium Error, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x02 Qual 0x00 (no seek complete) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
cmd finished after 34.184s timeout 240s
cdrecord: Cannot get disk type.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
-John Andrews

From: "Mike DiCarlo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.suse,alt.os.linux.caldera,alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux.slackware,alt.os.linux.turbolinux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.redhat
Subject: Linux Web Discussion Board
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 10:24:59 -0700

There is a great Linux web discussion board up at http://linuxask.com

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Experience with KVM switches?
From: TJ Snider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 18:06:51 GMT

Thanks for the tip, I take it that you're just using the box for Wintel
hardware? An ADB keyboard is the interface that Macintosh uses for older
keyboards, ie. how the machine talks to the keyboard and mouse. It's
replaced by USB on newer Macs.

I'll definitely be getting good cables, it seems that you've experienced a
common issue.

Thanks,
TJ

------------------------------

From: "Yozza" <reply.to - [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 19:42:16 +0100

Did I say anything about DRAM pricing?
No, I believe I did not.

All I said was that he was talking outta his (_|_)

It's better not to post, then to post misinformation.
Saying that Micron/Crucial RAM uses 'compressed' memory chips is a load of crap.

How can you say such rubbish when everyone else is saying how good the RAM is?

Compatibility?
Crucial RAM is the most compatible DDR SDRAM that is availible.

Lower FSB speeds to get CL2?
Again, where did he get this info? It is obviously incorrect. Crucial's DDR RAM
is the most overclockable you can find on the market, and the Micron chips it
uses are very happy with strict timings.

Little overclocking potential?
Look above. Also, you should read www.gamepc.com 's review of PC1600 RAM from
Crucial. It outperformed both Mushkin and Samsung PC2100, and proved to be more
stable/compatible.

Stephen *should* get his facts straight before posting this misinformation.

Yoz
--
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø
          "If the world didn't suck, We'd all fall off"
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø

============
Website: www.i.am/yaoyaoliu
=========
PGP key available on the website
news:DVHz6.571649$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Bryan Siemon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with installing Voodoo3 3000 agp!
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 18:48:33 GMT

> No URL is needed. On the 2nd CD for RH 7.0, there is a "Preview" folder.
> In there you will find rpms for both glide and tdfx_dri. Install both,
> and you are up and running assuming you didn't screw up your system with
> other drivers. (I've been there)

Bryan

From: Bryan Siemon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: booting probs with RH 7.0
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 18:56:44 GMT

"No inittab file"

There's your problem right there. Get a copy of inittab and drop it in
your /etc folder, otherwise your system won't understand any runlevels.

Bryan