From: Roberto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.periphs.scanners
Subject: ACER 610S w/ Linux suse 7.1
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:48:27 GMT

HI to all.

I got a Scsi Acer prisa 610s flatbet scanner cheap from a guy, and whist
to use it
with linux suse 7.1 kernel 2.4.0

What driver should i use?
Any other tech info/clue/tip could be necessary?

Thanks in advance.
--
Saluti..Gr"usse..Salutations..Regards..Saludos..  Rag.Roberto Basville
http://basrob.firenze.net/

------------------------------

From: David Balazic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: master/slave bootable CD-ROM drive ?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:53:36 +0200

hihihi wrote:

> Hi..
>
> I am installing a new computer..
> And would like to have this boot order..
>
> floppy
> CD-ROM drive
> harddisk
>
> The CD-ROM drive needs to be set to master or slave with a
> jumper.
> But which of the two, master or slave ????
>
> I have the harddisk on PRIMARY IDE as master.
> The cd-rom doc says that i have to set CD-ROM to SLAVE if
> cd-rom and harddisk are on PRIMARY IDE.

If the CDROM is the only device on the cable, then
connect to the end of the cable and set it to 'master'
( or 'single' , if it has that option; there is really no
difference between 'master' nad 'single' , but some vendors
'invent' problems , just to annoy people , it seems ).

If you have two devices on the cable , then on must be set to
'master' and the other to 'slave'.

>From where you can boot and in what order is dependent only on the
BIOS. Recent BIOSes ( like AWARD 6.00PG ) allow you to select just
what you want.

> If i do that, can i still boot from CD-ROM ??
>
> Or need i to connect CD-ROM to SECONDARY IDE as master ?
> And harddisk to PRIMARY IDE as master to be able to boot
> from both.
>
> The os i would like to install are Red Hat 7.0 and MSDOS
> 6.2x
>
> Thanks..
>
> --
> Did you know the worlds oil supply is running out ?
> My home page at my provider http://home.wanadoo.nl/hihihi

David Balazic
==============
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted

From: David Balazic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Subject: Re: ATA100 drive with ATA33 controller
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:08:43 +0200

Ed Ohsone wrote:

> I am thinking of buying a new hard drive to attach to my old PC
> running linux.
>
> Nowadays almost all new IDE hard drives are ATA100. But my PC supports
> only ATA33. In this case can I add ATA100 drive to my PC
> without problems? Are ATA100 drives backward compatible?

In theory : yes.
In practice : mostly yes, but some OS/driver/chipset/disk combinations
may have problems, that is why some disk manufacturers have utilities
on their webpages that can be used to "downgrade ATA-100 drives to ATA-66"

So if you experience some weird problems, try that utility.

> I do not mind not using full bandwidth of the new drive
> as long as it works as fast as ATA33 with stability.
>
> Do I have to buy an adapter going between the existing cable and
> the new drive, since I hear ATA100 has 80 pin socket
> while my PC has 40 pin cable?

80-wire cable is *required* for ATA-66 or higher operation.
But you will use only ATA-33 , so a 40-wire cable is OK.
( although a 80 wire cable has better characteristics, meaning
less possibility for transfer error )

> Second question.
> Which channel should I use for the new drive to get the best performance
> in the below situation?
>
> Current usage of IDE controller:
>    channel 1 ------- 10 GB hard drive
>    channel 2 ------- CD-ROM dirve
>
> It seems connecting the new drive to channel 2 as master and
> moving the CD drive to slave status is the way to go. Right?

Should be OK.

--
David Balazic
==============

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr. Dirk Janssen)
Subject: yamaha burner reads everything as audio cd
Date: 11 Apr 2001 11:38:27 +0200

Dear All,

My Yamaha 4416e cdrom burner has stopped working in a weird way: When
I try to read a CD, it always thinks the cd is an Audio CD. I tried
both Linux and Windoze, both have the same problem. Creating new cds
is also difficult (intermittent problems), erasing CDRW's fails at a
'Unrecovered Read Error'.

I think the other problems are related to the `everything is audio'
error. I already tried to clean the lense and deinstall the packet
writing software under windows (from CD faq), but nothing helped. Even
a newly installed SuSE 6.4 gave the audio cd errors
 (input/output error; mount: /dev/hdc has wrong minor or major number)

 Any help would be grately appreciated!
 Dirk

 PS the local `technician' just made a fool of himself by trying to
 clean the cd writer with a cleaning cd (yuk), finding that he could
 not start the cleaning software of the cdrom and consequently
 declaring that we had to buy a new burner. Just to unbelievable to not
 share with the world :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michal Szymanski)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sun.hardware,comp.arch.storage
Subject: anybody using Ultrium (LTO) tape drives?
Date: 11 Apr 2001 09:52:12 GMT

Hi,

We are thinking about purchasing Ultrium (LTO) tape drives to
store the data coming from our CCD camera (~20 GB/day).

I'd be interested in hearing anything from real users (not
only from manufacturers' WWW pages :), especially those working
in Linux and/or Solaris environments.

Any comments regarding OS compatibility, performance, reliability etc.
Whose drives are best (HP, Seagate, ...). Any info will be apprciated.

regards,

Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND

------------------------------

From: "stephen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: to produce config.h for pcmcia controller after updating kernel ?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 18:33:38 +0800

Does anybody know how to produce config.h for pcmcia card
controller after updating kernel?

I have updated my kernel from redhat 6.2 (2.2.14) to 2.4.0
successfully.Now I have a problem "I Can't produce 'config.h'
for pcmcia-3.1.22 under kernel 2.4.0" for installing 11M
wireless pcmcia card with linux driver.

=============I can do "Step 1.A" below now under kernel 2.4.0======

=============But I can't do "Step 1.B" below now for producing "config.h"
for pcmcia-3.1.22 under  kernel 2.4.0. Because there is no directory like
"pcmcia-cs-3.1.xx" at /usr/src/linux directory after updating my kernel
to 2.4.0. So I don't know what to do. If I can't produce the config.h,
there will be 2-3 errors at "Step3" --"Installing the driver-> make
all/install" while installing my 11M linux driver for 11M wireless pcmcia
card. Then I can't install the driver  successfully
=====================================    THIS IS WHERE MY PROBLEM IS !!!

The below are procedures from vendor that I produce config.h files for
 Linux kernel and pcmcia under redhat6.2(kernel 2.2.14):

Installation procedurecs:

1.To produce "config.h"

A.=>/usr/src/linux/make menuconfig
("Linux Kernel V2.2.14 Configuration" window will show,please
tab "Exit" button, then press 'Enter'. Another window will show
and ask you "Do you wish to save your new kernel configuration"
, just tab "Yes", then press 'Enter'.)

B.=>/usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.1.8/make config
(At this step, system will ask you some questions. You only need
to press "Enter" to use default values. But you have to pay
attention to the question below:)

  =>Linux source directory[/usr/src/BUILD/linux]:
  please type the exact directory=>[e.g. /usr/src/linux]

2. Copy the driver "linuxr1.tgz" to linux OS and decompress it

=> mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
=> cp /mnt/floppy/linuxr1.tgz /linuxr1.tgz
=> tar zxvf linuxr1.tgz
   => The directory "linux-wlan-ng-0.1.7" will be created.

3.Install the driver
Before doing this, please turn your PC card's "Control Mode" to
"Cardbus/16-bit" at its Bios for supporting 3.3V PC card.
(Ps: at most laptop's Bios, there is no such item . It means that
the laptop can auto-detect PC card's "Control Mode" between
"PCIC Compatible" and "Cardbus/16-bit", or it means that the laptop is
too old to support 3.3V PC card. And NDC 11M wireless PC card(NWH610)
can't be worked in such laptops)

=> cd /linux-wlan-ng-0.1.7
=> make config
At this step, system will ask you some questions. You only need to
press "Enter" to use default values. But you have to pay attention
to the 4 questions below:

  =>pcmcia-cs source directory[/usr/src/pcmcia-cs-3.1.20]:
  please type the exact directory
           =>[e.g. /usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.1.8]

  =>PCMCIA script directory[/etc/pcmcia]:
  press "Enter" to use default value. And the "wlan-ng.opts" will
  be in this directory.

  =>Install drivers as station(sta) or access point(ap)?[sta]:
  Setup the pc as a wireless station by type 'sta'.
  (we only support station function for the card)

  =>Build for 64-bit WEP function?('n' for 128-bit)(y/n)[y]:
  press 'Y' or 'N' to select the WEP function that you want to use.

=> make all
=> make install

4.Restart pcmcia services

------------------------------

From: "Vilas Shekhar B.J." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Volume very low!!
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:38:09 +1200

I  have Linux Mandrake 7.1 on my computer. It recognises my sound card but
the playback is at almost 10% voulme. Even if I increase the volume in the
mixer settings the sound is barely audible. Any solutions ?

Subzero.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Walter Dnes)
Subject: Re: What module for Linksys Ether 16 ISA nic RH 6.2
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:02:21 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 23:10:05 GMT, jmd, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> i am installing red hat 6.2 and i cannot find a driver that works
> with a Linksys Ehter 16 ISA LAN card. any suggestions???

  *EXACTLY* my card.  It's an NE2000-compatible, and uses the "ne"
driver.  Insert the following two lines in your /etc/modules.conf
file, and restart networking, or re-boot.  Change the irq and io
numbers as appropriate for your card.  I assume you have a DOS setup
diskette.

alias eth0 ne
options eth0 irq=10 io=0x300

--
Walter Dnes
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: Trevor Jenkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI errors, why?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:46:31 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Apr 2001 10:39:07 +0000, Trevor Jenkins
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Since connecting a Jaz and Zip drive on my workstation's SCSI bus I've
> >been seeing odd behaviour from the (SCSI) CD-ROM. Prior to introducing
> >these new devices I didn't have a problem using the CD-ROM .
> >
> >The most obvious symptom is that the machine hangs for a time when the
> >CD-ROM is in use. When this happens I get the following events in the
> >syslog file:
>
> Do you have good termination at both ends of the SCSI bus?  Active
> terminators are probably what you should be using.  The other thing to
> look out for is bus length (which includes how long the wires are
> inside the devices).

Terminated this problem. :-) You were correct. Bus termination was all
over the place. I caught the ZIP drive before installation. But the Jaz
drive's switch is so small that it's only after connecting the drive to
the SCSI bus that the tiny led (used to show terminator state) lights
up. Flicking that switch isn't easy eitehr. A terminator on the end of
the chain (the CD-ROM drive) has solved the problem. Looks like the
CD-ROM wasn't terminated either! Been running with like that,as the only
device on the bus, for 6 months.

Regards, Trevor

British Sign Language is not inarticulate handwaving; it's a living
language.
Support the campaign for formal recognition by the British government
now!

--

<>< Re: deemed!

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SMP motherboard recommendations solicited
Date: 11 Apr 2001 12:10:02 GMT

Eric P. McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Gregg Nemesure" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> 1. Is Linux SMP still considered experimental, or is it now stable?

> My understanding is that it's officially experimental, but my

??  Maybe for *large* numbers of CPUs it's "experimental."  But for your
standard PC 2-4 way servers, it's not been experimental for a while.

And it's quite stable.  I have a number of dual systems, and all perform
very, very well.  They're all Dell Precision 410s and 420s, fyi.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: IRQ modem problem: pci PnP (not winmodem)
Date: 11 Apr 2001 12:10:44 GMT

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:07:33 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>I have a USR 2977 (oem version of the 5610) that works fine with RH
>7.0 but not when I tried a 2.4.0 kernel.  It dials but ppp dies soon
>after defining a /dev/ppp.  Is my ppp from RH 7.0 not compatible with
>the 2.4 kernel?  I am using kppp and have not tried any other ppp
>tools.  I did an alias of ppp ppp_general to get as far as I did.
[massive snip]

/usr/src/linux-2.4.0/Documentation/Changes

"Upgrade your pppd to at least 2.4.0 or it won't work AT ALL with
kernel 2.4.x."  This is a very common problem; make sure you aren't
running into it.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: CD Writer for Linux
Date: 11 Apr 2001 12:10:47 GMT

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:49:14 +0000 (UTC), Daniel Weiskopf staggered into
the Black Sun and said:
>In article <3ad25bae$0$42870$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dances With
>Crows wrote:
>>I'd stay away from Sony models unless you know from personal testimony
>>or the cdrecord website that the exact model you're looking at works.
>>Also avoid the IomegaZipCD.  Parport models are too bloody slow, and
>>from what I've seen, USB models are coaster factories even under
>>"approved" OSes.  Just MHO, HTH.
>
>Just out of curiousity, why do you recommend avoiding the Iomega ZipCD?
>I have the 8x4x32 ATAPI model, and it seems to be working okay so
>far--although I had the most difficulty getting it to work under cdrdao,
>and cdrecord still won't let me use DAO mode.  Is there some specific
>problem with the drive itself, or is it a drive/Linux interaction
>problem?

"Not fully MMC-3 compliant" was what I heard.  Unfortunately, they
weren't more specific than that, so I don't know if the problem is with
DAO mode or is something else entirely.

>Any thoughts, or pointers to documentation of difficulties, would be
>very welcome.  I'd be especially gratified to learn that my difficulties
>aren't due to my own lack of understanding, especially since I'm
>generally pretty fair with Linux and hardware.  Thanks in advance,

I'd see if Iomega has a firmware update for the drive, then try the
latest version of cdrecord.  DOn't know whether that would actually
help, but it's something to try....

From: "Lee Fuller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.install,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Can't see hard disk
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:14:13 +1000

Thanks Markku, that did the trick. Adding the parameters at startup allowed
the drive to be seen.
However, when the install gets to installing the packages, it stops and
reports not enough disk space (needs 188k I think) whether I give it a 700M
or 900M partition. The swap partition is about 500M. I haven't had time to
look into it further. I'll try some more next week. (going away for the
easter weekend!)
Thanks for the help.
Lee.
(BTW: I'm trying to install Redhat 6.2 with kernel 2.2.14-12)

Markku Tikkanen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9aun80$hre$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.hardware Lee Fuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have an Abit KT7Raid motherboard which has 4 ATA100 IDE channels on
the
> > raid controller in addition to the standard 4 ATA66 channels. I have an
IBM
> > 30G ATA100 hard disk on the secondary master of the ATA100 controller.
On

------------------------------

From: "Frank de Lange" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:20:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"jurriaan kalkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 >> 2. What dual x86 CPU motherboards are recommended?
>
> Is it a 24/7 server, that costs money whenever it's down? BX-chipset
> dual motherboards have proven their worth.
<deletia>
> BX chipset, doesn't run the very latest Pentiums, but proven their worth

However, there are some lingering problems with several BX-based
dual-processor boards (most notably, Abit BP-6 and the Gigabyte board
which name I can't remember). The problem lies with an 'erratum'
(Intel-lingo for bug) in the IO-APIC, which manifests itself as a hanging
device (or devices). There's a patch for 2.4.1 and up to solve these
problems. If you need it, it can be found on the linux-kernel ML
archives (search for patch-2.4.1-io_apic-46 by Maciej W. Rozycki).

Cheers//Frank
--
 ## o o\    /     Frank de Lange     \