Linux-Hardware Digest #640, Volume #14           Tue, 17 Apr 01 19:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Best RAID controller for Linux (Thomas Tonino)
  vrefresh out of range on Viewsonic VP181/GEForce2 GTS on Linux ("dude")
  TV-tuner-card (Roger Valand)
  Support fot these chipsets? (Vladimir Florinski)
  test (Moschino)
  Re: Via82c driver for sound (Peter Christy)
  Re: how to get higher resolution redhat 7 (Toby Haynes)
  Re: unrecognized cdrom (Peter Grace)
  Removable IDE hard drive tray and rack (Ed Ohsone)
  Re: Modem trouble ("Roy Bamford")
  Re: Bad CRC errors on my hard drive (Mark Hahn)
  Re: capacity of exabyte 8200? (Lupei Zhu)
  advice on video adaptor (Martijn Brouwer)
  Re-Partition (dsmith)
  Re: Reach maximum mount count? (Jagged)
  Re: TV-tuner-card (Kwan Lowe)
  Re: Promise UDMA-100 + Red Hat 6.2 ("Jacob Williams")
  Is there any X option to run 2 different resolutions on LCD and external monitor?
(Alex Yung)
  Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video? (Eric P. McCoy)
  Re: Reach maximum mount count? (Eric P. McCoy)

From: Thomas Tonino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.raid
Subject: Re: Best RAID controller for Linux
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:10:04 +0200

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

> First, please stop top quoting.  It makes it very hard to follow the flow of
> the conversation.  Second, could you give examples of hardware raid
> (IDE or SCSI) solutions which do have hardware XOR, and exactly what you
> mean by that?

I understand that Infortrend does XOR in their ASIC. Don't know how it
would help, unless major parts of the data flow also are through
hardware, which is of course possible. The issue is then likely not so
much of whether the XOR is hardware, but how DMA based the architecture
is. For RAID5, a single block write needs to be put in nvram twice. The
original data is read and XORed over a copy, and the original parity
block is also read and XORed over that copy. Both buffers are then
scheduled for a write.

If you want to make use of DMA, it is very helpful to do the XOR in
hardware. But it is more of an extension of the DMA engine than of a
thing in itself, I feel.

Thomas

------------------------------

From: "dude" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Subject: vrefresh out of range on Viewsonic VP181/GEForce2 GTS on Linux
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:28:43 -0700

=======_NextPart_000_002A_01C0C739.F0FC8C40

The Viewsonic VP181 is best at 1280x1024, but X on linux takes it to a =
max of 1152x864.

I have tweaked XF86Config-4 numerous times and the XFree86.0.log keeps =
deleting various modes, saying "vrefresh out of range"

This same monitor, via KVM switch, works flawlessly on Windows 2000 at =
1280x1024...

I have the latest nvidia drivers, 2.4.2 kernel, etc.

Thanks

Paul

=======_NextPart_000_002A_01C0C739.F0FC8C40

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The Viewsonic VP181 is best at =
1280x1024, but X on=20
linux takes it to a max of 1152x864.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have tweaked XF86Config-4 numerous =
times and the=20
XFree86.0.log keeps deleting various modes, saying "vrefresh out of=20
range"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>This same monitor, via KVM switch, =
works flawlessly=20
on Windows 2000 at 1280x1024...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have the latest nvidia drivers, 2.4.2 =
kernel,=20
etc.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Paul</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: Roger Valand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TV-tuner-card
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:26:20 +0200

Hei
I am looking for a Linux compatible TV-tuner card.
I have heard about some TV-tuner card supported by a certain
bttn-driver.  Does anyone know anything about this??
I have an ATI All in wonder card, but I am not sure weather this will
cover mye needs.  I have not been able to make it work.  Anyone with
experience...??

Thanks

Roger Valand

------------------------------

From: Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Support fot these chipsets?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:33:04 -0700

I am going to buy a dual CPU board with either a VIA Appolo Pro 266 (DDR RAM) or
a Serverworks HE-SL (regular SDRAM, but with a 128bit memory bus) chipset. The
question is, how well are these two supported by recent (2.4.x) kernels?
--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: Moschino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: test
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:11:04 +0200

aaaaa

------------------------------

From: Peter Christy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Via82c driver for sound
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:10:00 +0100

Tha ALSA drivers work well - I'm using the 0.9.0beta3 drivers very
successfully. There is a good guide to installing these on
www.linuxnewbie.org

--
Pete

From: Toby Haynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to get higher resolution redhat 7
Date: 17 Apr 2001 15:55:59 -0400

On 16 Apr 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 04:01:35 GMT, Jonadab the Unsightly One staggered
> into the Black Sun and said:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy) wrote:
>>
>>> You might see something like:
>>>   Modes           "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480" "512x384"
>>
>>I have a tangentially related question...  Most of the time I use
>>640x480 or 800x600, but if I wanted to zoom in a bit closer (say, to
>>mess with a simple image more carefully)...  what happens if I put
>>something like "320x200" on that list?  Will I hurt anything trying it?
>
> You have to have an appropriate modeline defined for this low
> resolution.  Kind of like so:
> Modeline "320x200" 12.588 320 336 384 400 200 204 205 225 Doublescan
>
> The Doublescan keyword is important.  That might not be the right
> modeline for your monitor; use xf86config to generate a good one....
>
> For yet another tangentially related question:  How can you do this in X
> 4.0.3?  Modelines aren't defined within the XF86Config file, and without
> a way to specify "Doublescan", there's no way to get the monitor to do
> the right thing.

You can still define modelines in a XFree86 version 4 config file. However,
they are no longer global to the whole file - they are attached to a specific
Section "Monitor" section. You can also define mode sets for easy attachment to
the various monitors you may have configured. Take a look at the XF86Config man
page for further details.

Cheers,
Toby Haynes

--

Toby Haynes
The views and opinions expressed in this message are my own, and do

------------------------------

From: Peter Grace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: unrecognized cdrom
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 14:30:47 -0400

I have a similar problem.
Scsi cdrom drive.
Yellow book CDR in drive.
Kernel 2.2.19 with scsi cdrom support compiled in
On boot, scsi cdrom recognized as sr0
but no /dev/sr0 exists

What is the correct device to sym link /dev/cdrom to in this situation?
cat /proc/devices shows sr

I'll try it with an a CDROM (non-CDR) later today, but if someone
has the correct configuration for this situation, that would be helpful.
73,
--
==========
Peter Grace

--
==========

From: Ed Ohsone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.systems
Subject: Removable IDE hard drive tray and rack
Date: 17 Apr 2001 20:51:21 GMT

I am thinking of buying removable hard disk trays and racks
for IDE drives.

It seems the best connection between the rack and the tray
is probably made by centronix socket.
So I am looking for sets with centronix supporting UDMA33/66/100.
(UDMA 66/100 may be dropped.)
I do not need hot-swap capability.

If you know good reliable ones, please let me know
the names of the products and where they are available.

If your have used removable hard disk trays,
I would appreciate for your opinion/recommendation/unrecommendation
of using such mechanism.

Thanks in advance.

=========
Ed

------------------------------

From: "Roy Bamford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Modem trouble
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:59:52 +0100

Krstanovic,

You shouldn't have a ISA modem on COM2 unless your PC has only one COM port,
which is very unusual.

If you have two COM ports on the motherboard, you must disable the
motherboard COM2: as it will clash with the ISA card. It may or may not work
then.
What other serial devices do you have?

Most ISA modems were modems and COM ports on the same card, so you must get
Linux to see your ISA COM port before it will see the modem. However, I have
never come across a 56k ISA card. Are you sure its not a PCI card?

Regards,

Roy Bamford
--
There are two classes of computer users,
those who do backups and

news:9beqeg$8er$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bad CRC errors on my hard drive
Date: 17 Apr 2001 21:07:51 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Today when booting into linux, I received BAD CRC errors. What could be causing it?

your ide cable.  crc warnings indicate that data is being corrupted
(and retried until correct) between your disk and ide controller.
this can happen if the cable is noisy, too long, if your system is
overclocked, etc.  you might be able to fix it simply by getting
a valie (18") udma66/100 cable (80 conductors), which provides
much better signal properties than the usual 40-conductor udma33-and-under
cable.  under no cirumstances should you expect an invalid >18" cable
to work; similarly, overclocking means "expect flakiness".

in this case, you really should also put the disks on separate ide channels.

------------------------------

From: Lupei Zhu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: capacity of exabyte 8200?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:19:16 -0700

Thanks. I tried -a option and managed to put 99% of the 1.7G on the first
tape. big improvement.
I am  wondering if it will make a difference using /dev/st0a or /dev/st0l, or
/dev/st0m.

Some one mentioned "mt" command. I couldn't find it on my RH7.0. which
package provides it?

thanks a lot.

Lupei

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martijn Brouwer)
Subject: advice on video adaptor
Date: 17 Apr 2001 21:19:15 GMT

Within a few days I will buy a new computer and now I am confronted with
the choice of a videoadaptor. Can anybody give me some advice? I am looking
for an inexpensive card (about 75 euro) since 3D games are not my
interrest, but I don't want to exclude 3D entirely. I am thinking of one of
the following chipsets:
- TNT2
- S3 Savage 4
- ATI Rage 128
Which one is best supported, performs best. TNT2 is very common, but S3 is
always very good supported.
Can you use ever video adaptor as long as its chip is supported? Is tv-out
supported under Linux? Any other tricks / pitfalls?

Thanks,

Martijn Brouwer

Martijn Brouwer          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: dsmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re-Partition
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:10:29 -0400

I have Linux installed, but now I need to install Windows as well.
Unfortunately I do not know how to re-partition to accomplish this task.

Thank you in advance.

David..

------------------------------

From: Jagged <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reach maximum mount count?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:09:56 +0200

Jarmo Uusi-Maahi wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> maybe this question feels silly, but I'm new with Linux and
> I ask it anyway:
>
> When I boot my RH7 I saw this message:
> "Reach maximum mount count, check forced"
>
> (I have seen this message only 2 or 3 times in week.)
>
> What this mean? Is there something wrong? And should I
> be worry?

this is to prevent you worrying... the number of mounting process per
file system is counted. I dunno where you could configure the number,
but at the specific number linux automatically starts the fsck program
(man fsck) which checks the consistency of the file systems and, if
errors are found, corrects them. if this wouldn't be done, you had to
check your file systems manually, and if you even wouldn't do that,
you'd get nonrecoverable errors sooner or later...

best regards,
Jagged

------------------------------

From: Kwan Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TV-tuner-card
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:19:24 GMT

Roger Valand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hei
> I am looking for a Linux compatible TV-tuner card.
> I have heard about some TV-tuner card supported by a certain
> bttn-driver.  Does anyone know anything about this??
> I have an ATI All in wonder card, but I am not sure weather this will
> cover mye needs.  I have not been able to make it work.  Anyone with
> experience...??

I have the All-In-Wonder TV using the gatos software. Watching television
works fine, but I have had some problems capturing video.
I also have the AITech WaveWatcher. I've just started configuring this one,
but I understand that it is supported.

------------------------------

From: "Jacob Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Promise UDMA-100 + Red Hat 6.2
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:25:08 +1000

This sites helped me with the same problem on the same board....

http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/index.html

news:9bhq8d$di9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alex Yung)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Is there any X option to run 2 different resolutions on LCD and external
monitor?
Date: 17 Apr 2001 22:28:34 GMT

I have a laptop (Toshiba) with a docking station.  I figured out how
to control my resolution on LCD screen 1024x768 and external monitor
1280x1024.  But I don't know how to do it automatically.  I am running
XFree 3.3.4 and I have 2 "XF86Config" files (one for each).  I always
have to restart the X server when I dock or undock my laptop since
there is a change on the resolution.

Is there any setting/option which I can put in "XF86Config" so that I
don't have to restart the X server?  Ideally, it can detect the
ejection from the docking station and switch to the lower resolution
on the LCD screen.  Or it sends the resolution of 1280x1024 to the
external monitor and 1024x768 to the LCD with virtual desktop of
1280x1024.  Thanks for any suggestion.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: 17 Apr 2001 19:00:19 -0400

Joeri Sebrechts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> You sound like a man in need of an original ibm ps/2 keyboard. They're
> almost indestructible.

Yep.  I've had mine for close to 8 years now, and not a single
problem.  Despite 8 years' worth of crap under all the keys.

You can also remove all the keys and clean the keyboard, which
surprisingly seems to be a relatively unusual feature.

I also like the copyright date on the bottom of 1983.  PC keyboard
perfection was attained 17 years ago.

> Go find 'em, they're cheap secondhand, and often in near mint condition.

Mine was something insane like $60 new.  Worth every penny.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  "Knowing that a lot of people across the world with Geocities sites

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy)
Date: 17 Apr 2001 19:04:25 -0400

"Jarmo Uusi-Maahi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> When I boot my RH7 I saw this message:
> "Reach maximum mount count, check forced"
> (I have seen this message only 2 or 3 times in week.)
> What this mean?

ext2fs maintains something called a "mount counter."  It, er, keeps
track of the number of times the filesystem has been mounted.  When it
reaches a certain level, the filesystem is automatically checked.
It's intented to detect and correct errors which are introduced during
the course of normal operation.

> Is there something wrong? And should I be worry?

There's nothing wrong.  This is intended behavior.  Unless e2fsck
spots a lot of errors every time this happens, at least.

I believe you can increase the max mount count using tune2fs.