Linux-Hardware Digest #648, Volume #14           Thu, 19 Apr 01 01:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Sound Blaster 16 PCI\Ensoniq 5880 ("Chris")
  Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video? (Keith R. Williams)
  Re: Bad CRC errors on my hard drive ("Kelledin")
  Re: Buying a Dell Laptop, compatability feedback please (charliew)
  Re: TV-tuner-card (Marcus Lauer)
  Printer driver for Olivettli PR50 ("Francis Leong")
  Re: Sound Blaster 16 PCI\Ensoniq 5880 (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Sound Blaster 16 PCI\Ensoniq 5880 ("Chris")
  Re: 2.4.3 kernel / new aic7xxx driver problem (Markus Kossmann)
  Re: today's harddrives will surely fail before dialup users manage to fill them up?
(Jonadab the Unsightly One)
  Re: today's harddrives will surely fail before dialup users manage to fill them up?
(Jonadab the Unsightly One)
  Re: today's harddrives will surely fail before dialup users manage to fill them up?
(Jonadab the Unsightly One)
  Re: today's harddrives will surely fail before dialup users manage to fill them up?
(Jonadab the Unsightly One)
  Re: cdrecord and LG CED 8080B problem (Serban-Mihai Popescu)
  realtek 8139(a) and Mandrake 7.2 (don ahlskog)
  Re: Reach maximum mount count? ("Glitch")
  Drive Ready Seek complete errors (Rinaldi J. Montessi)
  Re: Anyone got Abit kt7a working w/o problems? (Garry Wright)
  Re: IDE 2 SCSI Converter? (Mitch Foxworth)
  Re: IDE 2 SCSI Converter? (Mitch Foxworth)

From: "Chris" <e e z e e 7 @ h o m e . c o m>
Subject: Sound Blaster 16 PCI\Ensoniq 5880
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:44:20 GMT

I have recently bought a Sound Blaster 16 PCI for my system, and I'm trying
to get it to work in Linux.

I am running Red Hat 7.0 with a 2.4.2 kernel (Sound support is compiled as a
module).  I'm have a dual boot with Windows NT.

Although my sound card is a Sound Blaster 16 PCI, sndconfig says that it is
an Ensoniq 5880, so they are probably basically the same.  But then it says
it is not supported! I think this is kind of odd, because it is a Sound
Blaster 16, and the only difference is the PCI instead of the ISA.

I don't really know what to do to make it work.  So if anyone has any
suggestions...they would be appreciated.

I can rebuild the kernel if required, but I would rather just recompile
modules because the kernel takes forever to do.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams)
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 01:24:09 GMT

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 05:40:03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab
the Unsightly One) wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy) wrote:
>
> > > Go find 'em, they're cheap secondhand, and often in near mint condition.
> >
> > Mine was something insane like $60 new.  Worth every penny.
>
> They sound like they're worth $60, but if I'm going to spend that
> I might as well spend $200 and get one that's also programmable,

Good grief, they're being thrown away! I hoarde them, though
it's rather silly since I've never had one go bad.  I did
have a cable go bad, byt I collect these too. THe Model-Ms
are the keyboard to have.

> because I hate having the keys like Ctrl and Alt and Shift (which
> get pressed at least twice as often as any letter) where I have
> to hit them with my pinky.

Well, other than rolling the palm over the key, there are
two of each.

> I'm going for an Avant keyboard and
> creating my own custom layout.  The only thing I'm going to miss
> badly is having a two-piece keyboard (like my current one), but
> it's well worth losing that to get full programmability.

A $200 keyboard?!  Eouch!  A keyboard is a keyboard.  A
quality keybard trumps all else.  Teach your software about
your key preferences.  $200 is high-end processor territory,
not keyboards!  Wow!

----
  Keith

------------------------------

From: "Kelledin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Bad CRC errors on my hard drive
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 01:30:58 GMT

> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }
> hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

There's an IDE option in the kernel for "enable multimode"; the help section
for it tells you to enable it if you get errors similar to the above.

I actually have an IBM IDE drive that produces similar messages.  I've tried
it in two different cables and it still happens.  In addition, a different
hard drive on the same cable/controller had no messages.  Enabling multimode
did not fix the problem, *but* the drive doesn't seem to be having any
issues.  It checks out fine with IBM's diagnostics, it's been running fine
for months.  Maybe the error message is just a false alarm?

Kelledin

------------------------------

From: charliew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.laptop
Subject: Re: Buying a Dell Laptop, compatability feedback please
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 01:34:58 GMT

Stuffed Crust wrote:

> Harold Stevens US.972.952.3293 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I'm considering SuSE 7.1 on a Dell Latitude CPi A366XT. Since this is
> > a configuration with a single removable bay for either a CD or floppy
> > (but obviously not both simultaneously) I must consider how to get it
> > to boot up the SuSE install. Maybe boot the install diskette, then do
> > hotswap of floppy for the CD to continue the install (?). Or try SuSE
> > boot from install CD option, if this Latitude BIOS permits (?).
>
> Boot off of the CD.

I just installed Debian on a CPi D300XT,  runs great and installation boots
off CD just fine.  I'd imagine SuSE will, too.  As for the floppy, get a
cable
from Dell or your admin and you can interchange either in the bay or cabled.
(I usually have CD in bay with floppy cabled, but other way works, too.)
Can't help with hot swap--never tried. However, I did remove and replug
the CD in the bay and the system never blinked.

--
Charles Waltenbaugh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Remember those guys in high school that got nothing but
Cs and Ds?  *Now* I know where they work." - anomymous

------------------------------

From: Marcus Lauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: TV-tuner-card
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 18:54:26 -0700

Roger Valand wrote:

> Hei
> I am looking for a Linux compatible TV-tuner card.
> I have heard about some TV-tuner card supported by a certain
> bttn-driver.  Does anyone know anything about this??
> I have an ATI All in wonder card, but I am not sure weather this will
> cover mye needs.  I have not been able to make it work.  Anyone with
> experience...??
>
> Thanks
>
> Roger Valand

       There are two versions of the bttv driver.  The older one is avaliable
in the kernel, the newer one is avaliable here:

http://bttv-v4l2.sourceforge.net/

        Both support all cards which use BT848 and BT878 chipsets.

                                                            Marcus

------------------------------

From: "Francis Leong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printer driver for Olivettli PR50
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:40:56 +0800

Greetings

Olivetti does not provide a Linux printer driver for the PR50  printer.
Does anyone know whether someone is developing one?
I'm trying to find the driver.

Many thanks.

Francis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster 16 PCI\Ensoniq 5880
Date: 19 Apr 2001 02:00:55 GMT

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:44:20 GMT, Chris staggered into the Black Sun and
said:
>I am running Red Hat 7.0 with a 2.4.2 kernel (Sound support is compiled
>as a module).  I'm have a dual boot with Windows NT.
>
>Although my sound card is a Sound Blaster 16 PCI, sndconfig says that
>it is an Ensoniq 5880, so they are probably basically the same.  But
>then it says it is not supported! I think this is kind of odd, because
>I don't really know what to do to make it work.  So if anyone has any
>suggestions...they would be appreciated.

"modprobe es1371".  The 5880 is specifically supported within es1371.c
AFAICT from reading the source.  sndconfig must be screwed up somewhere.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "Chris" <e e z e e 7 @ h o m e . c o m>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 02:46:57 GMT

[root@SMOKEY cbruton]# /sbin/modprobe es1371
/lib/modules/2.4.2/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o: init_module: No such
device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including
inva
lid IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.2/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.2/kern
el/drivers/sound/es1371.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.2/kernel/drivers/sound/es1371.o: insmod es1371 failed
[root@SMOKEY cbruton]#

That is what I get when I do that.  That is kind of weird though that it
fails if it is supported.

news:3ade46d6$0$12818$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.4.3 kernel / new aic7xxx driver problem
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 04:20:39 +0200

Bruce Garlock wrote:

> Markus Kossmann wrote:
>
> > "Bruce S. Garlock" wrote:
> > >
> > > My 2.4.3 kernel comes with version 6.1.5 of the new Adaptec driver.  I
> > > have tried to update this to the most recent version, 6.1.11 as seen on
> > > http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/ however, this site does not have
> > > the patches for 6.1.6, 6.1.7, or 6.1.8 for the 2.4.3 kernel.  Does
> > > anyone know how to get in touch with the site maintainer (his email is
> > > not listed on the site), or how I can get these patches to bring my
> > > driver to 6.1.11?
> > >
> > Just get linux-aic7xxx-6.1.11-2.4.3.patch. It should apply clean against
> > 2.4.3 with 6.1.5 build in.

> Tried that, and it does not work.  Any other ideas?

It did work for me.  Please post more details about your problems with
that patch.

--
Markus Kossmann

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Crossposted-To: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: today's harddrives will surely fail before dialup users manage to fill
them up?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:03:25 GMT

J. Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > >Oh?  Care to provide us with the algorithm that performs searches of
> > >large directories as quickly as it does small ones?
> >
> > Get a book on databases.
>
> Here's how it works.  You make an assertion, you get called on it, you
> have the choice of backing it up or looking like a twit.  You failed to
> back up your assertion . . .

It's called common knowledge.  Everyone who knows how to program
a database knows how to do an indexed one that will find the data
on a 30GB hard drive MUCH faster than downloading it over a T1,
much less a dialup connection.  Get a book on databases.

> In any case you made an assertion that if one's web browser slows down
> with a large cache, then one should rewrite the cache program.  That
> leads one to conclude, since you made this assertion without caveat,
> that there is some algorithm out there that allows one to write a cache
> program that does not slow down with a large cache.

It's trivial.  He doesn't need to explain the algorithm,
because it's standard stock.  Everyone who knows ANYTHING
algorithms already understands how hashing works.

> > For a web browser cache application,
> > you only need to be faster than the network connection; no need
> > to be faster than not doing anything at all, as that's not equivalent.
>
> So let's see, you have a web page that with no cache loads in 30
> seconds.  With cache algorithm a it loads in 20 seconds and with cache
> algorithm b it loads in 15 seconds.  So you're saying that a and b are
> equivalent and that all else being equal you would have no preference
> between them?

If you create a web page that takes fifteen seconds to load
out of a cache from the local hard drive, it must be a really
BIG web page, or else you're waiting for Java to start up.
Three seconds would be a LONG time.

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:03:27 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (B'ichela) wrote:

>       As for Hard drive sizes. Jesus! I still cannot find a
> realistic use for all of my 3 GB of SCSI storage!

My 4GB would've been plenty if I were using just one OS.
Multiboot systems need extra hard drive space, though.

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:03:27 GMT

Christian Garms <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Anyway: Who use his/her personal computer longer then four years?

People who don't like migrating to a new system.  I've had this
computer for about three years now, and I'm not anywhere near
ready to get rid of it, not for several more years.  (I have
added some components, including RAM and a second hard drive.)

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:03:28 GMT

J. Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Precisely.  With the most perfect algorithm in the world, a larger cache
> will take longer to access than a smaller one.

Yes, but with a mere 30GB of difference in the sizes of the
caches, the difference in speed can be insignificant.

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: Serban-Mihai Popescu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cdrecord and LG CED 8080B problem
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:16:45 GMT

I will try that and post the result.

I'm also hoping the system will not run out of memory (I have only 64M
of RAM in it).

Thanks.

Serban

------------------------------

From: don ahlskog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: realtek 8139(a) and Mandrake 7.2
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:09:12 -0700

==============006CF29D7F25DE3978342A72

I am having problems getting my eth0 working.
HP 8776 with an onboard netcard.

--
Remove "NOSPAM." for return E-DRESS
Don Ahlskog

==============006CF29D7F25DE3978342A72

I am having problems getting my eth0 working.
<pre>--&nbsp;
Remove "NOSPAM." for return E-DRESS
Don Ahlskog
Las Vegas,NV</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reach maximum mount count?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:29:52 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Jagged" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> this is to prevent you worrying... the number of mounting process per
> file system is counted. I dunno where you could configure the number,
> but at the specific number linux automatically starts the fsck program
> (man fsck) which checks the consistency of the file systems and, if
> errors are found, corrects them. if this wouldn't be done, you had to
> check your file systems manually, and if you even wouldn't do that,
> you'd get nonrecoverable errors sooner or later...
>
> best regards,
> Jagged

 i believe the default is every 20 boots that it will do an automatic fsck

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rinaldi J. Montessi)
Subject: Drive Ready Seek complete errors
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 04:37:32 GMT

I just built and installed a 2.2.19 kernel with Hedricks ide patch for my
Promise ATA 100 card.  I've been running his patches since about 2.2.14 if
memory serves.  I've not had this error before and have rebooted to 2.2.18
pending further information.

I have recompiled the kernel to use multi mode by default as suggested in
the ide.txt and kernel "Help" section with the same result; but I have yet
to read a definitive explanation as to just what the error means.

A little cut and paste:

hda: task_no_data_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: task_no_data_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: Write Cache FAILED Flushing!

Same errors for /dev/hdb.  Both drives are ata 33's with dma enabled and
irq masking off.

Lilo is on the mbr and /boot is on hdg3 on the Promise controller.

Any illumination greatly appreciated.

Rinaldi
--
We all know Linux is great...it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
--Linus Torvalds

------------------------------

From: Garry Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone got Abit kt7a working w/o problems?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:57:08 +0000

D. Pearson wrote:

> Previous config was Abit kt7 mb & Duron 700 cpu. Linux ran(runs) rock
> solid on it. Upgraded mb and cpu to Abit kt7a & TBird 1.2 - 266fsb cpu.
> It is extremely unstable under linux. Nothing else was changed. Same
> periphs, same slots, same memory, video card, everything. Freezes
> regularly. It's pretty much unusable. System is dual boot and runs NT
> without problems. Not a single freeze. Might be the hardware but I don't
> think so.  I haven't made any bios performance tweeks at all.
> Everything's set conservatively. If anyone has an Abit kt7a running
> without problems I would appreciate knowing about it. At least I would
> know it could be done.
>
> thanks,
>
> -dep-

Just set up same this week. Athlon 1.2Ghz cpu with abit-k7Raid and full
scsi. Using only old cdrom on ide so far. Fast, solid - a real treat.
Cheers.

------------------------------

From: Mitch Foxworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE 2 SCSI Converter?
Date: 19 Apr 2001 05:04:13 GMT

Um, are you seriously proposing to attempt to connect IDE drives to a SCSI
cable and controller?  ROFLMAO...once you do figure out how to do that,
could you tell me how to convert my 15" CRT into an 18" LCD monitor?

Seriously...external drive enclosures are expensive for the number of
drives they hold.  You'd be better off just getting a mid-sized tower case
and putting 4 removable IDE drive bays in it.  And use an *IDE* RAID
controller...even Adaptec makes one now.

MF

From: Mitch Foxworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 19 Apr 2001 05:08:03 GMT

Ach, bite my tongue... http://www.macally.com/new/newarena.html describes
just such a device.  Learn something new every day.