Linux-Hardware Digest #652, Volume #14           Thu, 19 Apr 01 21:13:11 EDT

Contents:
  Sending voice to a modem (JF Bertrand)
  Sending voice to a modem (JF Bertrand)
  Sending voice to a modem (JF Bertrand)
  GA-7ZX Onboard Sound Problem ("ET1Mac")
  Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video? (George Macdonald)
  Lexmark z51 with z52 driver? (Till Bayer)
  Re: One more who needs help! (Static)
  Re: Best RAID controller for Linux (Hubba Bubba)
  Re: Best RAID controller for Linux (Joshua Baker-LePain)
  Logitech wireless wheel mouse (Warren Jones)
  Re: Pinout: Serial RJ45 for Barcode Scanners (Karsten Jeppesen)
  Re: Via82c driver for sound (Peter Petersen)
  Re: Microsoft gets hard ("Jan Johanson")
  Re: Microsoft gets hard ("Jan Johanson")
  Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist? (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
  Re: today's harddrives will surely fail before dialup users manage to fill them up?
(Jonadab the Unsightly One)
  Re: today's harddrives will surely fail before dialup users manage to fill them up?
(Jonadab the Unsightly One)
  Re: Help wanted. Linux problems using AMD K6-2 (Static)

From: JF Bertrand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Sending voice to a modem
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:14:25 +0000

Hi guys,
I'm about to need to write a program that requires me to call a phone
number and play a message. I don't know where to start.

Is there a modem library for linux. How do you build a route from your
sound card to your modem and stuff like that.  Is there a book I could
get?

Thanks

JF

------------------------------

From: JF Bertrand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:18:43 +0000

Hi!

I need to write a program the will call a number and play a message.

I need to find out how to connect to the modem, put the modem in voice
mode, route the sound card to the modem and play the message. I will
also need to modem to keep the line open for DTMF after the connection
is made.

Where can I start, is there a linux book on com programming? Or program
that already does that. Can I make the initial connection using chat?

Pleae help me

JF

------------------------------

From: "ET1Mac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: GA-7ZX Onboard Sound Problem
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 19:59:43 GMT

I'm using RH6.2 and have installed it on a GA-7ZX with a Duron 800.

When configuring sound with sndconfig it autodetects Ensoniq:CT5880.  But
when it goes to play the sample sound the system locks up.

/etc/conf.modules has the following inserted:  alias sound-slot-0 es1371

Reading other post with similar issues I changed it to the following:  alias
char-major-14 es1371 with no success.

I even tried modprobe with different arguments; es1371, char-major-14
es1371, es1370 just to see what will happen, but still no success.

Is this a 6.2 issue, would upgrading fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

v/r
ET1

System:
RH 6.2
AMD Duron 800
128 Mem
30G H.D.
Adaptec AIC 7850 Scsi
CanoScan 300
HP Printer

------------------------------

From: fammacd=!SPAM^[EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Macdonald)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:15:45 GMT

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:38:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly
One) wrote:

>chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Eric P. McCoy) wrote:
>>
>> >I also like the copyright date on the bottom of 1983.  PC keyboard
>> >perfection was attained 17 years ago.
>>
>> Just like music, eh?   8)
>
>Music attained perfection about 270 years ago (give or take
>twenty years).  HTH.HAND.

WHAT??  How the hell could it predate even Beethoven... medieval pop
music!:-)

Rgds, George Macdonald

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Till Bayer)
Subject: Lexmark z51 with z52 driver?
Date: 19 Apr 2001 20:17:37 GMT

Hi!

I read somewhere that the Z52 Linux driver from the Lexmark homepage can be
used with the Z51 printer. Does someone have this running, or know how to
get it to work?
Any info would be appreciated.

Bye,
        Till

------------------------------

From: Static <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: One more who needs help!
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup,yu.os.unix
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:33:58 GMT

Krstanovic wrote:

> I think it is.
> Don;t say winmodems cannot work under LInux,please!
[snip]
Ok, I won't say it... I'm sure someone else will :-P.
try checking out http://www.linmodem.org (or something like that)... I've
heard there is nominal support for some of the chips, but not all.

IMHO - get a real modem, let the modem due to the work, save your cpu for
interesting stuff, like games :-)

------------------------------

From: Hubba Bubba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.raid
Subject: Re: Best RAID controller for Linux
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:52:28 GMT

        You can get U3-160 solutions for the *same* price: well, ok,
about $500 more. So, how exactly is that price/performance?
        Pricey performance perhaps :) I'll respond about the XOR stuff
when I get a chance, I am a little busy at the moment.

                                Hubba

------------------------------

From: Joshua Baker-LePain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.raid
Date: 19 Apr 2001 21:26:34 GMT

Hubba Bubba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Still top quoting, huh?  *sigh*

>       You can get U3-160 solutions for the *same* price: well, ok,
> about $500 more. So, how exactly is that price/performance?

Excuse me?  Did you see the specs?  640GB of raw disk space.  The
cheapest price for a 73GB, U160 drive on pricewatch is $900.  8 of those
those runs you $7200, already $1200 greater than my entire system, and gets
you 56GB less raw space.  And you still have to buy the chassis (which,
for my system, cost $3300).  So you're looking at *at least* $4500 more.

I'd really like to know where you got your numbers.

I'll leave some of the quoted material below, for the specs.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Warren Jones)
Subject: Logitech wireless wheel mouse
Date: 19 Apr 2001 15:26:19 -0700

Has anyone succeeded in getting the wheel to work on a Logitech
wireless wheel mouse?  I'm using XFree86 4.0, imwheel, and these
entries in XF86Config:

    Section "InputDevice"
      Driver      "mouse"
      Identifier  "Mouse[1]"
      Option      "Device"        "/dev/mouse"
      Option      "Protocol"      "MouseManPlusPS/2"
      Option      "Buttons"       "5"
      Option      "ZAxisMapping"  "4 5"
    EndSection

This has worked for me with other wheel mice (Kensington, Microsoft),
but although the buttons of the Logitech mouse all work correctly,
the wheel does nothing.  (The side button acts like another middle
button.)

I've seen suggestions that the Logitech wireless mouse uses
a somewhat different protocol, which may not be understood
by XFree86.  Has anyone had any luck in getting the wheel
to work?

Thanks in advance for any tips,

Warren Jones              | To keep every cog and wheel is the first
Fluke Corporation         | precaution of intelligent tinkering.
Everett, Washington, USA  |                          -- Aldo Leopold

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Pinout: Serial RJ45 for Barcode Scanners
From: Karsten Jeppesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.comm,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 22:51:28 GMT

Sorry - It is a PSC 5385

------------------------------

From: Peter Petersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Via82c driver for sound
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 02:24:03 +0200

"VAVAVAVOEM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb:

>have been trying this but ./configure says it cannot find version.h in the
>directory it wants it to be?
>how can i change this dir

Typically, this is caused by your kernel sources (/usr/src/linux)
being "too clean". :)
You have to do a "make menuconfig" (or something similar) in the
source tree of the linux kernel.

Regards
Peter

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft gets hard
Date: 19 Apr 2001 19:39:07 -0500

"David Ehrens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:aFHC6.18762$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I don't care if Microsoft can prove they have 500,000,000 partners.
> Their allegiances lie with companies in their size and weight class, not
> small consulting or integration outfits.
>
> David Ehrens

Interesting... so given that linux is associated with dirty haired hippies
in their parents basements vs MS associated with the largest businesses in
the world - I guess we can see where this is going... you dug your own hole
bub...

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.arch,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 19 Apr 2001 19:41:04 -0500

"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> <snype>
> > I do things which truly astound and bill for it.
>
> Admin NT servers, the most astound things? my guess, getting them to
> stay up for longer than one week whilst maintaining the same throughput.
>
> Answer the question sonny. Until you start admining s/900z, s/390, and
> clusters of UNIX servers, I suggest that you should keep your trap shut.

Now that is funny - I love it when the best come back a unix-nut has is:
until you've suffered as I've suffered and continue to suffer you are
nothing. The fact you can do what I can do in 1/4 the time with 1/8th the
effort means you _obviously_ must be an idiot and I am a genius for slaving
away working on much bigger and more compliated proprietary hardware.

as if run time had anything to do with throughput - silly...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: A Linux emulator for Linux, does this exist?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:49:16 GMT

"Peet Grobler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> <SNIP>
> >happen. According to folklore, you can pretty much replace an
> >entire 390 one piece at a time without ever rebooting -- I
> >imagine that's a bit exagerated.
>
> Yes, I believe you can. If everything in the system is
> hot-swappable, why not?

There's got to be a bus that connects everything.
Even if you can swap out one-by-one all the hard
drives, all the RAM, all the I/O stuff, individual
processors, and so on, at some point there's going
to be a piece that ties it all together, the bus
if you will.  Unless it's highly modular, you
won't be able to swap out that part with the
system running.

Also the power supply could be a problem, unless
it has multiple redundant power supplies.

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Crossposted-To: comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Re: today's harddrives will surely fail before dialup users manage to fill
them up?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:49:20 GMT

J. Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So you would store each cached web page as a database entry?

You *could* store each cached page as a database entry.
Or you could use the filesystem as a database, which is
what most caches do (with a special file for the index).
It doesn't really matter which.

> > It's trivial.  He doesn't need to explain the algorithm,
> > because it's standard stock.  Everyone who knows ANYTHING
> > algorithms already understands how hashing works.
>
> And there is _zero_ difference in response time with
> increasing number of entries?  Is that your assertion?

Zero *user-noticeable* difference.  The exact numbers don't
matter, because the difference will come out in milliseconds.
The user won't be able to tell without special time-measuring
software like a benchmark.  Whether it's a thousandth of a
second or a tenth of a second is immateriel (and, in any
case, very much hardware-dependent).

Furthermore, there's absolutely no point in a cache that
large.  Pages you visit so seldom that they aren't stored
in a ten-megabyte cache aren't worth caching, because the
chances are really good you'll NEVER visit them again.
(Note that I'm talking about a browser cache.  A caching
proxy is another matter entirely.)

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly One)
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:49:22 GMT

J. Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Yes, but with a mere 30GB of difference in the sizes of the
> > caches, the difference in speed can be insignificant.
>
> So how big do they have to be before it becomes significant?

Bigger than a browser cache ever needs to be.

> And what constitutes "significant" in your book?

Noticeable by the user.

> And since this started out in the context of commercial web browsers,
> since you're so sure this is easy, why not provide an improved cache for
> some web browser or other?

Because the existing caches are sufficient.  The time you
perceive that it takes to find a page in the cache
consists almost entirely of the time the browser spends
doing *other things*, such as loading the page after it
finds it (which is limited by the hard drive's transfer
rate), comparing its cached copy to the copy on the
web, rendering it for display, repainting the window,
and so on.

- jonadab

------------------------------

From: Static <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help wanted. Linux problems using AMD K6-2
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 01:03:32 GMT

P Ashton wrote:

> I am have having numerous problems using linux (Redhat 7.0) on my k6-2
> based machine. Are there any known problems with K6-2s and what are the
> fixes?
>
> All the problems appeared when I took out a pentium 233 MMX and put in
> the k6-2.
>
> thanks

Could you be a little bit more specific - what kind of problems? What's it
(not) doing, symptoms, details

St.