  Re: Interesting failure rebooting LINUX (Dougie Richardson)

From: "Peter Mahnke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: How to setup Proxim Symphony PnP ISA Wireless NIC under RedHat 7.1?
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:37:45 -0400

I don't know how, can someone give me set by set help?

Thanks,

Peter

From: "Roy Bamford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Modem trouble
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 16:52:10 +0100

Keith,

I think you are being a bit harsh on Krstanovics' modem. As its ISA, it's
unlikely to be a winmodem - you would really struggle to get the bandwidth
down the ISA bus. I go along with the 'upgrade' instructions for winmodems
though.

Since it works on IRQ#3 and COM2, it is more likely to be a real modem and a
16550A based serial port on the same card and is being masked by the
motherboard serial port.  I have not seen winmodem installs clash with real
ports.

The setup is turn off the motherboard COM2: serial port to let Linux see the
ISA card. After the serial port can be seen, just tell Linux that it has a
modem on that port. Better would be to move the modem to COM3 or COM4.

Regards,

Roy Bamford
--
There are two classes of computer users,
those who do backups and

"Keith Mastin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Its a winmodem. Remove the modem. Get a hammer. Hit the modem. Hit it
> again. It not a real modem. Go to the linmodem site, which has some
> drivers for one or two winmodems. Mostly, I'de say that you're sol. Get a
real modem,
> but first check the linux_hardware_compatability_howto at linuxdoc.org.
>
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Krstanovic wrote:
>
> >I have Rockvell 56k ISA modem.It works on IRQ#3 and COM2 port under Win
Me

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 09:39:31 -0400

Roy Bamford wrote:

> Keith,
>
> I think you are being a bit harsh on Krstanovics' modem.

I don't know... I've often had the impulse to take a hammer to
some computers along the way. ;)

> As its ISA, it's
> unlikely to be a winmodem - you would really struggle to get the bandwidth
> down the ISA bus.

Yeah, 8 MHz would really constrict the data. I should have thought of
that.

> The setup is turn off the motherboard COM2: serial port to let Linux see the
> ISA card. After the serial port can be seen, just tell Linux that it has a
> modem on that port. Better would be to move the modem to COM3 or COM4.

At that point, it might also be a good idea to change the IRQ on the
modem
to some unused IRQ (5, 9, 10, 11, whatever's available that the modem
will support) and use setserial to tell Linux about the change. I'm not
really up on the latest advances, but conventionally it's been a bad
idea
to share IRQs.

------------------------------

From: Bob Bucy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: es1371 - No Sound
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:37:09 -0500

Dougie Richardson wrote:

> Bob Bucy wrote:
>
> >     Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 6).
> >       IRQ 5.
> >       Master Capable.  Latency=96.  Min Gnt=12.Max Lat=128.
> >       I/O at 0x1440 [0x147f].
>
> Its not a Soundblaster 128 - its an ES1371 - there is a specific module in
> the 2.2 kernel for the ES1370 and for AC97 have you tried using them
> instead?
>

> Dougie Richardson      //================================
>                                //
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> =================//                http://www.incarnate.uklinux.net

Tried configuring es1370 using sndconfig, resulted in:

/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/sound/es1370.o:
init_module: No such device
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/sound/es1370.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/sound/es1370.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/sound/es1370.o: insmod
sound-slot-0 failed

Also note that I have tried the es1370 before with a previous kernel and
I would get a "device busy" message.  I assume the difference in
messages is due to the new kernel.  My current installation is a fresh
install of Red Hat 7.1, I blew my old installation away.  The following
is my modules.conf file which was created during the Red Hat
installation.

alias eth0 tulip
alias eth1 ne2k-pci
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias sound-slot-0 es1371
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
>/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 18:29:07 +0200

In comp.os.linux.help Roy Bamford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think you are being a bit harsh on Krstanovics' modem. As its ISA, it's
> unlikely to be a winmodem - you would really struggle to get the bandwidth
> down the ISA bus. I go along with the 'upgrade' instructions for winmodems

Saying that loses you all credibility. The isa bus is 8MHz. At 32 bits
that would be 240M baud. It should be able to cope with a 56K baud
modem by running at about 0.02% of capacity, no?

Peter

------------------------------

From: "dmayo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Partition questions...
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 17:43:14 +0100

Halloo!

I recently installed Red Hat Linux 7.0 on my laptop(233 MMX, 3GBHDD,
64MBRAM). It's up and running, and apart from the backspace and delete keys
which I cannae figure how to fix... the rest is fine. However, I've started
reading the Linux System Administration Guide (thanx to all of you who
recommended me good books to read!!). I am a newbie, of course! I was
reading on Partitions where it says that you could have more than one
Primary Partition on your HDD. Is this really possible?
I used MSDOS fdisk for making my partitions (expecting to get Partition
Magic this week). I have the following
Primary 35% (1GB)-where Windows 98 is sitting
Extended 65% of which
    Logical 1 (d:) 50% (1GB) - used for data
    Logical 2 (e:) 50% - this one is now with Linux native (1GB)- no longer
called e:

The question is:
Could I reduce (using Partition Magic, or fdisk) the size of logical 1 to
say, half it's actual size in order to increase the space given to Linux? I
have intentions of extending it's use. Gonnae get StarOffice soon too....
basically, I want to transform gradually my Microsoft PC into a Red Hat
Linux machine. I am still learning at this stage.

Ta very much!

PD: If someone could help me with the backspace and delete keys... strongly
appreaciated!!

Dave Mayo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philipp Lehman)
Subject: UDMA/100, Via 686b, mainboard recommendations
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 18:53:41 +0200

What's the status of UDMA/66 and UDMA/100 support with 2.2.x
kernels and the IDE patches?

Background: I'm putting together a socket A box and I want a
mainboard which supports the 133 FSB Athlons. These boards
typically use the Via KT133A and sport UDMA/100 support thanks
to the Via 686b chipset.

I'm concerned with support for the 686b chipset in particular.
Note that I'm not talking about any external or on-board IDE
controller like the Promise or Highpoint controllers which come
with the IDE-RAID versions of current socket A boards, but with
the plain Via south bridge. Can I expect to get UDMA/100
support with kernel 2.2.19 and the latest IDE patches? And if
not, will I be able to at run UDMA/66 at least?

I'd appreciate some feedback from people running a setup like
this (with an Abit KT7A, EPoX EP-8KTA3, MSI K7T Turbo etc.) in
particular.

And if anyone has a recommendation concerning a particular
mainboard, I'd be interested to hear that as I haven't decided
on a particular board yet.

--
Philipp Lehman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Interesting failure rebooting LINUX
From: "Salim Douba" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 17:16:58 GMT

Hi,

This is how the partition table looks like:

Command (m for help): p

Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 524 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1   *         1       181   1453851   83  Linux
/dev/hda2           182       199    144585   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3           200       523   2602530    7  HPFS/NTFS

Please note that the disk was intended for dual boot wint Windows NT.
However, even when I tried LINUX only i had the same results.

Salim

------------------------------

From: "Michael Pye" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Partition questions...
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 18:15:01 +0100

Backspace / Del is fixed as follows:

> If your backspace key doesn't work as one (under Redhat 7, not sure which
> other distros this applies to), go in as root, open /etc/X11/xmodmap and
> uncomment the two lines under the i386 header. Bingo. There are similar
> headers for PowerPC and Mac I believe...

(my post in alt.linux the other day...)

MP

news:9bv1ke$ejg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams)
Subject: Re: Switchboxes for keyboard, mice, video?
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 18:09:00 GMT

On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:07:46, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab
the Unsightly One) wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams) wrote:
>
> > Good grief, they're being thrown away!
>
> I'll see if I can pick one up on ebay.  Can't hurt to have
> a spare.

I've seen hundres thrown in the dumpster in the past couple
of months.  ...makes me misty-eyed. ;-)

> > > because I hate having the keys like Ctrl and Alt and Shift (which
> > > get pressed at least twice as often as any letter) where I have
> > > to hit them with my pinky.
> >
> > Well, other than rolling the palm over the key,
>
> I can't get that to work; my palm in a normal typing position
> is about two inches short of the mark.

> > there are two of each.

Try the ball of the pinky (joint between the pinky and hand)
for the CNTL buttons and the thumb (slide it off the space
bar) for ALT. Use opposite hands as necessary.

> Both in locations where they can only realistically be hit
> with the pinky, which must be extended well beyond its normal
> range of motion.  Ick.

Not for me. However, I've noticed my technique doesn't work
well on mushy keyboards.  The CNTL button gets pressed
unintentionally.  I rarely use the keyboard on my laptop for
that (and other) reasons.

> The qwerty and dvorak layouts are impossibly obsolete; they
> were both designed for typewriters with about fourty keys
> and then expanded at the edges for backward compatibility.
> But after expanding them at the edges so much as to more
> than double the number of keys, too many of what are now
> the important keys are out of reach.  Do you really hit
> f and j more often than backspace and tab?  I don't.

Well, since QWERTY was *designed* to limit typing speed...
Inertia isn't something new in this business though.

> Then they stick that #$@! windows key right where you
> get it every time you reach for alt.  Enough.  I want
> to make my own keyboard layout.

Windows key.  ...don't need no stinkin' Windows key!  Never.
 Not a chance in hell! The "designed for Windows" sticker
fell of my laptop and stuck to the wastebasket.  ...don't
know how that happened.

> Actually, what I'd really like to try is to increase
> the number of buckies and reduce the number of regular
> keys by doubling up he letters and numbers.  The OS
> wouldn't need to know about it; you just have an
> extra bucky (call it "blue") that switches you to
> the other half of the alphabet, causing the keyboard
> to generate different output to the computer.  (You
> could really only double up alphanumeric keys, since
> other keys have to be hit simultaneously with eachother
> and with the alphanumerics in random combinations that
> depend on your software.  But apart from game cheat
> codes, letters and numbers seldom have to be combined,
> so they could be doubled up.)  I don't know whether
> this would allow for a fast typematic rate in terms
> of words per minute, but it would be an interesting
> experiment; I bet it would put more of the other
> (non-alphanumeric) keys in easier reach.  If all the
> buckies were on one hand and everything else on the
> other hand, I imagine programmer productivity might
> be improved.

Sounds too complicated.  I liked the "chord" keyboards.
Basically a thing the size of a potato with buttions for
each finger. Combinations of fingers ("chords") are used for
different letters. Of course this could be extended to
sounds (rather like a stenographer's recorder), but that
wouldn't work well for programmers.

<snip>

> The only thing I'll probably leave untouched are
> the cursor movement keys on the keypad.  I like
> them just like they are.

Home and End could be done better.

----
  Keith

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Keith R. Williams)
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 18:10:41 GMT

On Sun, 22 Apr 2001 06:59:23,
fammacd=!SPAM^[EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Macdonald) wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:07:50 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jonadab the Unsightly
> One) wrote:

> >No, late baroque.  Bach, Handel, Vivaldi, et cetera.
> >Since they died, the music industry has never been
> >the same.
>
> Like I said - medieval pop music... most of it rehashed from popular airs
> and collected, to put it kindly, from peasant musicians when a "comission"
> was in the works.

Hmm, I never though of Bill Gates as classical before.

----
  Keith

------------------------------

From: "Larry Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Promise RAID with RedHat 7.1/Mandrake 8.0
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:16:48 -0400

Anyone get RedHat 7.2 and/or Mandrake 8.0 to work with the Promise RAID
conectroller that comes with the A7V133 motherboard in RAID 0?

If so, some pointers please!

Larry

------------------------------

From: "Klaus Amereller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can=B4t find a Printer Driver
Date: 22 Apr 2001 20:14:27 +0200

Hi Tim
Thank you for helping Tim

By
Klaus

NewsGroups Suchen, lesen, schreiben mit http://netnews.web.de

------------------------------

From: "Monte Milanuk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pentium133 down for the count??
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 18:20:45 GMT

I'll check it out... This box is due to get upgraded to 64MB soon (assuming
it lives long enough), since 16MB just causes too much swap use.  But then,
I've gotten used to my main box, w/ is a P3-500 w/ 384MB of RAM ;)

Thanks,

Monte

news:9bu92v$m5h$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Dougie Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 20:08:07 +0100

Bob Bucy wrote:

> Tried configuring es1370 using sndconfig, resulted in:
>
> /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/sound/es1370.o:
> init_module: No such device
> /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/sound/es1370.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/sound/es1370.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.2-2/kernel/drivers/sound/es1370.o: insmod
> sound-slot-0 failed

The es1370 module is not compiled as a module, you'll need to configure and
compile this module to insmod it.
--
Dougie Richardson      //================================
                               //

From: Dougie Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 20:09:36 +0100

Salim Douba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is how the partition table looks like:
>
> Command (m for help): p
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 524 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *         1       181   1453851   83  Linux
> /dev/hda2           182       199    144585   82  Linux swap
> /dev/hda3           200       523   2602530    7  HPFS/NTFS
>
> Please note that the disk was intended for dual boot wint Windows NT.
> However, even when I tried LINUX only i had the same results.
>
> Salim

Where are you installing LILO during installation, target partition
(/dev/hda1) or MBR?

--
                               //