Linux-Hardware Digest #699, Volume #14           Sat, 28 Apr 01 11:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Promise Ultra66/100 card and Maxtor drives (Gabriele Del Prete)
  Re: general noise (Garglemonster)
  Re: Help with RH7.0 did not detect USRobotics/3com 56k model 005687-03 (silveraxe)
  Re: Help with RH7.0 did not detect USRobotics/3com 56k model 005687-03 (silveraxe)
  redhat 7.1/mandrake 8.0 screensaver ("Larry Snyder")
  A7V133 Audio with linux ("Larry Snyder")
  Re: Promise Ultra66/100 card and Maxtor drives (Gabriele Del Prete)
  Re: Cannot Install RH7.1 - Partition Table Corrupt ! (J-Pip)
  how to use wheel mouse (Johnny Kim)
  Re: GA-7ZX, ALSA, and Sound (olgnuby)
  Help whit RAID controller ("MEX")
  Re: CD writers (Frank Hahn)
  Re: how to use wheel mouse ("Peter")
  Re: aggiornamento hardware ("Lucky")
  Re: Modem ("Lucky")
  Re: Promise FastTrak100, which distribution supports it? (Jan Koop)
  AT keyboard timeout ("Peter")
  Re: Easy to run Ethernet/Modem combo PCMCIA (Andreas Somogyi)
  Re: phoneline nic  ("atlmike")
  sis 6215c (Tankd)
  ICP Vortex now with Intel - How to still buy ICP Controllers?  Please read. ("Leo")

From: Gabriele Del Prete <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Promise Ultra66/100 card and Maxtor drives
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 13:25:37 +0200

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:24:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(Alan P. Kennedy, Sr) wrote:

>Note the raid support is a closed source driver by promise and this is
>only software raid. The software raid in kernel 2.4.x series works
>just as well as the promise driver. Note the promise raid driver will
>not work with 2.4.x kernels, and promise is not promising to upgrade
>the driver.

I've discovered yesterday that promise controllers have some
incompatibilities with Maxtor drives. Can you suggest another udma66
or udma100 controller? (i don't need RAID).

>See the above site for more details.

Thank you, will take a look!
--
Gabriele Del Prete       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Garglemonster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: general noise
Date: 28 Apr 2001 20:30:28 +0900

    Dances> On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 00:00:02 GMT, Piet staggered into the
    Dances> Black Sun and said:
    >> I have a small other question.  I currently have a p-III @
    >> 550Mhz, and this thing is really _incredibly_ noisy :( I have
    >> to shut it down when I go to bed, where I would rather just
    >> leave it on all the time.  Do recent machines still have this
    >> major disadvantage?

    Dances> The noisiest components in a PC are generally the hard
    Dances> disks and their fans, the CPU fan, and the power supply
    Dances> fan (roughly in that order, I think.)  It is possible to
    Dances> spin down any IDE hard disks you are not using with hdparm
    Dances> -Y, but note that you cannot really spin down the disk
    Dances> that contains your / or /var partition without tweaking
    Dances> the update daemon so that it doesn't flush buffers every
    Dances> 30 seconds.  Modern i386 CPUs cannot live without fans,
    Dances> but more expensive fan+heatsink combos are often quieter.
    Dances> If it's the CPU fan that's driving you batty, well, the
    Dances> PowerPC line don't need fans....

even the noisiest hard disks aren't really that noisy ... by
themselves.  however, when you bolt them to a case, they get really
noisy because cases amplify the sound.  that's why i have my disks
floating on foam rubber, unbolted.  this makes a huge difference,
especially with scsi disks.  i used to be able to hear cronjobs
starting up while sitting on the toliet, which is a couple rooms
removed from the machine in question.  ( / is on a cheetah, though the
worst disk is an st32550).  now i here more hard disk noise from my
ancient laptop/firewall.  i have to be careful when moving the machine,
but honestly, how often does one move a tower?

g.m.

p.s. thermistor controlled fans are a plus, too.

I'm also pre-POURED pre-MEDITATED and pre-RAPHAELITE!!

------------------------------

From: silveraxe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with RH7.0 did not detect USRobotics/3com 56k model 005687-03
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 11:30:06 -0000

Qadmon wrote:

> Do a
> setserial -g /dev/ttyS* and find out what port address its on. This
> indicates the com port. If its not com1,2,3, or 4 then at boot time it
> will not be probed.
>
> After you discover its values then you can set a link from /dev/modem
> to /dev/whatever ttyS it is. 1,2,3,4,5,etc
>
> Com5 will be a bitch.
>

> On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 06:30:03 -0000, silveraxe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >I would appreciate your help to this newbie who is given linux a try.
> >
> >Thanks

Thanks for your help but nothing you said really worked, however I just unistalled the
board and changed the jumpers asigning it to a specific com/irp ports (factory setting
is pnp).  After that Linux recognized it without problem.

Thanks again, after this experience I started thinking analitically again.

From: silveraxe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 11:30:06 -0000

It is an ISA Modem.

From: "Larry Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: redhat 7.1/mandrake 8.0 screensaver
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 07:33:31 -0400

here is one interesting..  This happens both with Mandrake 8.0 and RedHat
7.1 - when I turn on the screen saver it's doesn't work - instead the screen
just goes blank after the specified time has elapsed (and since I hit
require password it prompts for a password).  I'm trying to use the tux
screen-saver.  If I click on test it looks fine - but setup reveals a blank
screen.  Any ideas?

Larry

------------------------------

From: "Larry Snyder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Subject: A7V133 Audio with linux
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 07:39:21 -0400

anyone get the on-board audio to work with RedHat 7.1 / Mandrake 8.1?
Specifically Real Player 8.0?  I get most audio - but I can't get Real to
work.  For grins I plugged in a general audio card after disabling audio on
the MB and it works just dandy..

Ideas??

Larry

------------------------------

From: Gabriele Del Prete <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 13:53:56 +0200

On 27 Apr 2001 22:16:00 GMT, "Michael Faurot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>: I'm going to buy a new HD and a promise Ultra66 or Ultra100 card. I
>: would like to buy a Maxtor DiamondMax 80 80gb drive, or a DiamondMax
>: VL40 40gb drive. I've read that some Promise controllers have
>: incompatibilities with some Maxtor drives. Is this true?
>
>I'm using five of these Maxtor 80G drives in a RAID5 configuration plus
>two Promise controllers.  They work fine together.

Perhaps the incompatibilities show only with promise non-RAID cards?
I'll check.

By the way, can you tell me if your Maxtor 80gb drives are noisy?
I'm trying to build a small P166 linux firewall/server which should be
on 24h/24h and I need it to be very quiet as I have to keep it in my
sleeping room. Maxtor VL40 hard drives are said to be almost silent,
but the maximum capacity is 40gb, and I'd like to get more.

Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 19:42:27 +0800
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J-Pip)
Subject: Re: Cannot Install RH7.1 - Partition Table Corrupt !

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:17:37 +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Svend Olaf
Mikkelsen) wrote:
>Still not very readable (the output file should just be inserted as it
>is, then it will be readable in fixed font), but I guess I have the
>information needed. It seems as only the second entry in the extended
>partition table cylinder 2424 is invalid. To delete this entry you can
>do (pip1.bat):
>
>editpart 1 2424 2 - 00  0 0 0  0 0 0  0  4865 255 63  26
>
>To avoid errors, I recommend that you download the batch file from:
>
>http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/pip1.zip
>
>--
>Svend Olaf

Great! It worked !
I tried to install RedHat 7.1 and everything went fine (almost) ...
But that's only because it complained about my 2nd disk being faulty
and missing at least one RPM.
I just have to try burning it again, and avoid messing around with
'fdisk' or some such right now!

Thanks for the help Svend Olaf.

Regards,
J-Philippe.

------------------------------

From: Johnny Kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to use wheel mouse
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 21:18:46 +0900

how can I use wheel mouse in web browsing and other window program scrolling

using redhat7.1

Best wishes, Johnny

------------------------------

From: olgnuby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: GA-7ZX, ALSA, and Sound
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 07:59:12 -0500

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> You can put them where you like. The makefile is yours to edit (I put
> them in the alsa subdir, of course :-).
>
> Peter

I'm beginning to learn Linux is quite amenable and forgiving in those
areas as long as the changes are somewhat sane, compensated for and some
continuity maintained. But, sometime unexpected and bizarre results can
be obtained. ;-)

I've also learned I can get amazing, massive amounts of source code to
compile completely error free which will simply not do anything. ;-)

Charlie

------------------------------

From: "MEX" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help whit RAID controller
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:07:17 +0200

Hi all. I have Abit kt7a-raid motherboard. In the first Raid hd I've
installed w98. Linux, on the contrary, is installed in a normal ide hd on
the other controller. Where and how can I instal lilo to boot w98 and linux?
Now I've installed it on the normal ide disk but w98 on the raid doesn't
start.
Thanx all

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
Subject: Re: CD writers
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 13:10:02 -0000

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:33:26 -0700, Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I was wondering about compatibility with CD-RW drives.  Do they are just use
> a generic standard, kinda like IDE, so they're all compatible with Linux?  I
> am wondering specifically about the AOpen 12x10x32x and the LG 12x8x32x
> drives, and whether or not they are compatible with Linux.

I believe there is a CD-Writing How-To which will answer a lot of your
questions on how to setup your system for using a CD-Writer.

Basically, they need to be treated as SCSI devices.  The above How-To
should explain this.

Whether your specific models are supported, your best bet is to look
at the cdrecord (just do a search of (http://www.google.com) web site
and see which models are listed, etc.

--
Frank Hahn

"Gee, Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore."

------------------------------

From: "Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how to use wheel mouse
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 13:57:16 GMT

In article <9cecds$6tr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Johnny Kim"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> how can I use wheel mouse in web browsing and other window program
> scrolling
>
> using redhat7.1
>
> Thanks

Depends on which mouse you're using. I have this in my XF86Config file,
works for a Logitech cordless MouseMan (using Xfree 4.0.2, but that
what's Redhat 7.1 comes with if I'm not mistaken):

---
Section "InputDevice" (find this section and change to this)

# Identifier and driver

    Identifier  "Mouse-somenumber" (Don't change this)
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"     "ImPS/2"
    Option "Device"       "/dev/psaux"
    Option "Buttons"      "6"
    Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
---

If that doesn't work, try
Option "Protocol"     "MouseManPlusPS/2"
instead of ImPS2

Also make sure that your mouse device really IS called /dev/psaux, it
might be named /dev/mouse or whatever. Change if necessary.

Hope this works for you!

/Peter

------------------------------

From: "Lucky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: aggiornamento hardware
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 07:31:54 +0200

Con la Redhat 8.0 non ci sono problemi con nessun tipo di hardware.
Per la Suse non so cosa dirti, non l'ho mai provata.

 Hi
  Luc@

------------------------------

From: "Lucky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modem
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 07:28:00 +0200

If you've a winmodem you can read the linyx how to about LINMODEM. ...

  Luc@

------------------------------

From: Jan Koop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Promise FastTrak100, which distribution supports it?
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 16:05:32 +0200

iQXth wrote:

> I have a Promise FastTrak100 IDE RAID controller. Red Hat 7.1 does not
> support it. Neither does Mandrake 8.0.

Neither does SuSE (up to 7.0 at least)

> How can I get it to work with these distributions? Which Linux
> distribution supports this controller card?

grab the kernel module, compile it and put it either into your kernel or in
an initrd...
I´ve written a howto in German, which you might want to get translated...
(I'll do it if many people need it)
You can get the kernel module from
ftp://ftp.promise.com/Controllers/IDE/FastTrak100/Linux
I think there is some package for RedHat 6.2 and 7.0, but I haven't tried
it. I used the Beta drivers on a production machine (shame on me) but it
works
Jan

------------------------------

From: "Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AT keyboard timeout
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 14:10:56 GMT

Is there a way to remove AT keyboard support in the kernel (using 2.4.3)?

The reason I'm asking is that I run both my keyboard and mouse on the
USB-interface, and during bootup I get these kernel messages:

keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?
keyboard: Timeout - AT keyboard not present?

which delays my boot with a couple of seconds. Very annoying, since I'm a
perfectionist :-).

Any ideas?

/Peter

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.portable
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Somogyi)
Subject: Re: Easy to run Ethernet/Modem combo PCMCIA
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 13:49:53 GMT

Trevor wrote:

>  On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 08:39:17, "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote:
>
> > I always go buy a plain ne2000
> > compatible (usually labelled "SOHO") for $30 when I'm in the states.
> > The reason is that the connectors are the first things to go on these,
> > and all the ne2000-compatibles have the same plugs.
>
>  3Com 3C589's had a lifetime free replacement service on the dangly bit
>  at one point. You had to fill in a form and send the old one back and
>  a couple of weeks later you got a new one back in the post. I don't
>  know if you can still find the form on their web site though...

Hm. I have one of these - bought it used - and the "dangle" connector
won't stay in the card when I push it in... Don't know if it's supposed
to, though. Is it?

--
andreas somogyi - www.somogyi.nu - icq:436372

Forget all about equality
        let's play
                master and servant

------------------------------

From: "atlmike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: phoneline nic
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 10:25:05 -0400

The cards that I am using are diamond homefree phoneline pci cards in the
workstations and Intel AnyPoint for my laptop. There is a Home Phoneline
Network Alliance standard in which cards from any manufacturer that meet
this spec can communicate over the phoneline. The standard I am on is HPNA
2.0 which provides for speeds up to 10 Mbps.  There is a standard driver for
these kinds of cards currently bundled in Windows.  Phoneline lans are
popular for homeuse so I'm surprise they haven't found there way into Linux.

Thanks,

Mike Carlucci

"A.C. 'Static' Stadt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:m2jG6.47277$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Do you have specifics on this NIC?  Who makes it (or failing that, who
> distributes it), model #, any information off the chips, etc.  If its a
PCI

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tankd)
Date: 28 Apr 2001 14:28:51 GMT
Subject: sis 6215c

I search xfree 3.x driver for sis 6215c card.
PLEASE HELP ME.
Tankd.

------------------------------

From: "Leo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ICP Vortex now with Intel - How to still buy ICP Controllers?  Please read.
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 14:41:55 GMT

Greetings folks,

With Intel's recent acquisition of ICP Vortex Corp., ICP no longer ships
controllers directly from their facility to resellers, OEMs, etc.

ICP-Order.Com has stepped up and become a primary distributor of genuine ICP
Vortex controllers and accessories.  We can assist with your needs.

ICP-Order.Com has product in stock (plus cables, terminators, SCSI
enclosures) ready to ship to end users, resellers, and OEMs immediately.

Visit our website at www.icp-order.com for our online ordering system.  If
you are a reseller/OEM, please feel free to use the Contact Form on the site
to request special pricing.

Accepting all major credit cards and purchase orders to satisfy your needs.

Thanks for listening...

Sincerely,

Leo J. Squire
www.icp-order.com