  Matrox MGA Ultima Plus 200 - Manual? (James Cannon)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Easy to run Ethernet/Modem combo PCMCIA
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:49:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 01:27:12 -0700, Omar Lakkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi folks, I have a Presario 1700 with Linux RH 7.0 on it and everything
> is working just fine besides the network (and modem) connection.
>
> After some reseach I found out that my ethernet nic is a CONEXANT. I
> browsed through many sites looking for some suitable kernel module as a
> driver. No clue...

I don't know if it will help that that use to be called Rockwell.  Does
'lspci -v' show anything for it?

> I have tried many drivers just randomly without success.
>
> Finally (and sadly) I came to the decision that I need to invest in a
> PCMCIA, plug it in and get hooked up to the net. Now I find myself
> drowned in an ocean of information and don't know what to buy exactly. I
> would like to have a combo Ethernet/Modem with the less painul
> installation, not exactlya a plug and play thing, but something that has
> been tested and is guaranteed by experience to work.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Please CC me the reply as I rarely have the chance to browse through the
> newsgroups.

I originally got a cardbus nic (Netgear FA510c) and then a modem (Zoom
2975) and the overall cost was about the same as a combo card.  I am
unlikely to use both at the same time, but I do commonly use a CF or
SmartMedia pc card adapter at the same time as the nic.

The combo cards tend to have a 16-bit nic which uses more power and may
run hotter than cardbus, but you are unlikely to notice any speed
difference.

One advanatge of having a nic that fits in one slot is that you might be
able to set up different network settings for each slot.  For example I
set up Win98se to use hard coded IP in slot 0 and dhcp for slot 1.  I am
not sure how to do this in Linux (pcmcia schemes), but it is easy enough
to change network settings on the fly.

NOTE: Beware of controllerless (Winmodem) pc card modems.  If a modem says
it works with Mac and DOS you are probably safe.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.setup.hardware
Subject: Re: Two OS, two hard drives, one computer
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 17:51:04 +0200

Install each OS on a different HD. If The hd's are IDE you have to change
the boot letter in the bios. If you've scsi disks and an adaptec host
adapter you can change the boot id in the adapter bios

------------------------------

From: D. C. Sessions <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: general noise
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 08:54:30 -0700

Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> The noisiest components in a PC are generally the hard disks and their
>> fans, the CPU fan, and the power supply fan (roughly in that order, I
>> think.)  It is possible to spin down any IDE hard disks you are not
>
> The servers in the corner of my office (800MHz intel) don't have fans on
> the cpu.  Instead they have huge heatsinks, and the chassis fan air is
> ducted across them. Looks a good technique.
>
>> the disk that contains your / or /var partition without tweaking the
>> update daemon so that it doesn't flush buffers every 30 seconds.  Modern
>> i386 CPUs cannot live without fans, but more expensive fan+heatsink
>
> The P100's I have run perfectly without fan OR heatsink!
>
>> combos are often quieter.  If it's the CPU fan that's driving you batty,
>> well, the PowerPC line don't need fans....

Don't overlook underclocking.  (Yes, _under_).
A fairly modest reduction in clock rate can do amazing things to power
consumption.  It works like this:

1.4 GHz Thunderbird, core voltage = 1.8 v, transistor threshold ~400 mV,
(Vgs-Vt)~=1.4 V.  Speed is proportional to (Vgs-Vt), so if you drop the
frequency to 800 MHz you can get (Vgs-Vt) down to about 900 mV.
That's a core voltage of 1.3 volts.

What happens to the power consumption?  (800/1400)((1300/1800)**2)
(Good old FVsquared) comes out to just under 30% of the original power.
Using the same heatsink, you should be able to drop the air velocity to
less than 25% of the earlier value, since a fair bit of the thermal resistance
is not sensitive to airflow.  Which means 1/16 the fan power, for a noise
reduction of 12 dB -- enough that you won't be hearing it any more.

--
| I'm old enough that I don't have to pretend to be grown up.|
+----------- D. C. Sessions <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ----------+

------------------------------

From: "Muff Daddy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Modem trouble
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 17:51:44 +0100

Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
<snip>
However, I have
>> never come across a 56k ISA card. Are you sure its not a PCI card?
>
>That's an excellent question; I've never heard of a 56k
>ISA modem either.  (Not that I'm certain there aren't
>any; I've just never heard of one before.)
<snip>

I have a 56k ISA modem...U.S. Robotics 56K Fax/Data Modem and it seems to
work fine, although it's giving trouble in linux...I haven't tried disabling
COM2 in the BIOS yet though.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: CD writers
Date: 28 Apr 2001 17:26:46 GMT

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 00:33:26 -0700, Dave staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>I was wondering about compatibility with CD-RW drives.  Do they are
>just use a generic standard, kinda like IDE, so they're all compatible
>with Linux?  I am wondering specifically about the AOpen 12x10x32x and
>the LG 12x8x32x drives, and whether or not they are compatible with
>Linux.

Read the FAQ on the cdrecord home page, and you'll learn a few things.
Most IDE CD-RWs made in the last 3 years conform to a standard called
MMC-3, and most SCSI CD-RWs do the same thing.  Older drives were more
problematic, but cdrecord works with almost everything that Joerg
Schiling has been able to get his hands on.

The recent problem reports on this NG for CD-RWs are mostly about some
HP models.  I have heard of problems with some Sony models, and
conflicting reports about the Iomega ZipCD.  I am currently using the
cheapest CD-RW I could find, a Cendyne 6/4/24.  cdrecord picked it up
immediately and works great, though I have never tried to burn in DAO
mode.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Trevor Hemsley)
Date: 28 Apr 2001 18:11:54 GMT

On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 11:30:28, Garglemonster
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> that's why i have my disks
> floating on foam rubber, unbolted.  this makes a huge difference,
> especially with scsi disks.

However, some disks rely on being bolted to a metal frame in order to
transmit heat and stay cool. Using a rubber layer may impede heat
transfer and either lead to overheating or to requiring another
(noisy) fan.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

From: Matt McDragon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 17:59:23 GMT

get Linksys PCMLM56!
I am happy with it, and fast!
either RH 6.0, 6.2, or recently MDK 8.0

------------------------------

From: Matt McDragon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 17:59:23 GMT

get Linksys PCMLM56!

------------------------------

From: "Ryan M. McConahy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie (to Linux) help
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 14:49:28 -0400

Hi!

Is there a RedHat Linux command that will display the currently used IRQ &
COM ports? I need to find some free ones for my Plug&Play modem. I'd asked
this before, but didn't seem to get anything that helped me.

I am running both Win98 and Linux using LILO. How do I set the DOS (Win98)
boot image as default?

How do I set a default GUI? I prefer KDE, but it always loads Gnome unless I
click on options and change it.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan M. McConahy

------------------------------

Subject: Mandrake 8.0 installation freeze
From: Steve Bradtke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 19:06:55 GMT

Installation of 8.0 seems to proceed smoothly until I get a
message about drinking eggs and welcome to linux
mandrake. Then the system completely freezes. If I try
installing in expert mode, I can get it to ask about desired
installation mode, but it freezes after I tell it to use the
cdrom.  I had no problems at all installing 7.2 on the same
system. I`m using an Abit VP6 dual processor motherboard,
with 2 P-III 800`s, 3 HDD`s (windows installed on 1), a
cdrom, and a cd-rw.  Using an SB Live sound card, and an
Asus AGP-7100 graphics card.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

Steven Bradtke          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Matt O'Toole" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Pentium I 133 +32 MB enough ?
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 12:33:22 -0700

"Eric P. McCoy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David E. Lamy) writes:
>
> > >I'm planning to install Linux Suse 6.0 on a P133 with 32 mb. I'd like
to use
> > >the KDE desktop. Will it work or  will I get just as frustrated with it
as I
> > >am with win9x etc.
>
> > If you use a lighter weight window manager such as Sawfish, Blackbox, or
FVWM
> > (others probably exist in addition to these), then X will run just fine.
Just
> > avoid Netscape and Mozilla as well.

Netscape should be fine with a lightweight window manager, as long as you're
not running anything else.

> Definitely seconded on the Mozilla recommendation.  It's intolerably
> slow on a dual PPro-200/256 with 64MB RAM.
>
> Memory is dirt cheap.  Get up to between 64MB and 128MB, inclusive,
> and you'll be very happy.  32MB is usable, but with the low prices of
> RAM nowadays ($54 for 128MB)...

Not for an old P133.  They use the older FPM or EDO RAM, which is is still
selling for three times as much as PC100 and PC133.  Plus, a lot of those
computers max out at 128MB, which must to be installed as four 32MB SIMMs.
So you'll probably have to toss out what's already in there, which is
probably two or four 8MB or 16MB SIMMs.  The 32MB (and up) SIMMs are more
expensive per MB, and harder to find, than the 16MB SIMMs.  OTOH, two more
16MB SIMMs will make a big difference; and won't cost too much, or be too
hard to find.

It's not really worth it to spend money on a Pentium I.  They're still very
viable machines for a lot of things, but if you need more speed or memory,
it's time to buy new.

Matt O.

------------------------------

From: Douglas Bollinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Floppy controller tapes
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 15:53:07 -0400

Roberto Migliorati at [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

> Juergen,
>
> Thanks a lot for your extensive help!! I'll put the drive in my box tonight
> and we'll see hot it goes.

The old Travan drives work great in Linux.  Just make sure you
update to the newest version of Ftape from the homepage because the
version included with the kernel source is really old.

http://www.instmath.rwth-aachen.de/~heine/ftape/

--
Douglas Bollinger
Mt. Holly Springs, PA

My other computer runs Linux.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Promise Ultra66/100 card and Maxtor drives
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan P. Kennedy, Sr)
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 19:50:15 GMT

I currently have two maxtor 30 gig drives and they work perfectly with
my promise controller.

 Gabriele> On Fri, 27 Apr 2001 17:24:22 GMT,
 Gabriele> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan P. Kennedy, Sr)
 Gabriele> wrote:

 >> Note the raid support is a closed source driver by promise and
 >> this is only software raid. The software raid in kernel 2.4.x
 >> series works just as well as the promise driver. Note the promise
 >> raid driver will not work with 2.4.x kernels, and promise is not
 >> promising to upgrade the driver.

 Gabriele> I've discovered yesterday that promise controllers have
 Gabriele> some incompatibilities with Maxtor drives. Can you suggest
 Gabriele> another udma66 or udma100 controller? (i don't need RAID).

 >> See the above site for more details.

 Gabriele> Thank you, will take a look! -- Gabriele Del Prete
 Gabriele> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Nicolas Prentzas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Problem: Sound at very low frequency
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:56:36 +0000

Dear all,
I have installed RedHat 7.0 on my machine and tried to configure
the sound using sndconfig.  I chose ES1888 despite the fact
that my card is really ES1788.  The sample that sndconfig
plays for testing is played very clearly.
However, when I try to send any other, higher frequency sample
(such as using mpg123 to play mp3s) the sound is played very
slowly as if the frequency it was played at was much lower than
the sampling frequency.
I try specifying different playback rates but that has no effect.
I also tried other drivers but the problem is still there.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

Nicolas

------------------------------

From: Carsten Goldmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISDN USB Modem (Elas)
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:15:48 +0200

Hi, I got an ELSA Mircolink USB ISDN-Connector and would like to get it
work on my laptop. I dont not have any (known ;-)) problem with my SUSE 7.2
distribution. Just this.

I have an USB Scroll-Mouse on my USB Port and would addationally like to
connect the ELSA  ISDN over an USB Hub. Linux finds the Mouse, the Hub and
the ISDN Connector, but I can't get it working. No dialing, no nothing.
What's the problem? How can I archive a working configuration?

Thanks for any help.
Carsten.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Promise FastTrak100, which distribution supports it?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan P. Kennedy, Sr)
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 20:35:34 GMT

Note that this driver does not work with 2.4.x kernels and promise is
not promising support for 2.4.x kernels. Another interesting note is
this software raid, and the software raid in linux kernels works just
as well and is more flexiable than the closed source promise driver.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 02:38:02 -0500
From: "Richard M. Denney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI Microtek slide scanner 35t stops working right!

The problem:
    1. A microtek 35t slide scanner which I have used periodically over
the last two years with xscanimage (or plugin in gimp) suddenly fails to
work. When selected to acquire a preview or scan (scanimage), the
scanner initializes, lowers the slide into position and sounds like it
begins the scan, but then freezes. Scanimage gives a message box,
"Error: device busy." When this happens, the /var/log/messages file
acquires references (see below) to "kernel: scsi: aborting command due
to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0 Read Reverse 00 00 00
06 00" and then "SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out -resetting"....

 Additional information:
    1. The other SCSI devices (cdrom writer, E6 scanner and zip drive)
seem to be working fine.
    2. The 35 t slide scanner itself seems to be OK, because it scans
properly on the same system booted up with Win NT. (I use Win NT boot
manager during startup of my Linux system. I usually use Win NT in a
Linux vmware session. None of the scanners or the cdwriter work under
Win NT in a vmware session, which is as it should be, according to
vmware documentation).

The system: I have a SCSI chain consisting of a Yamaha 4x4x16 cdrom
writer (ID-1), Microtek 35t slide scanner (ID-3), Microtek E6 flatbed
scanner (0 0 4 0) and zip drive (0 0 5 0) connected to a single Adaptec
2930 CU SCSI card; RedHat 7 updated with kernel 2.4.1. SCSI support is
compiled in the kernel (ai7xxxx ). All SCSI devices are identified
properly at system startup and at Linux startup and are registered in
the /proc/scsi/scsi file., as follows:

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: YAMAHA   Model: CRW4416S         Rev: 1.0g
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MICROTEK Model: ScanMaker 35t+   Rev: 1.40
  Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 01 CCS
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MICROTEK Model: ScanMaker E6     Rev: 1.42
  Type:   Scanner                          ANSI SCSI revision: 04
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IOMEGA   Model: ZIP 100          Rev: K.05
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I know little about SCSI troubleshooting, but it is clear from the
/var/log/messages file that the SCSI chain is failing when the 35t
scanner is started, as shown below. Could the 08:34:03 entry "Data
overrun detected in Data-In phase, tag 2" line be the critical problem?
If so, how does one deal with this type of problem?
Output of /var/log messages file as scan is started on the 35t scanner:
(triggered by selecting "acquire  preview" in scanimage for /dev/sgb:

Apr 27 08:33:53 rdenney kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0 Read Reverse 00 00 00 06 00
Apr 27 08:33:54 rdenney kernel: SCSI host 0 abort (pid 0) timed out -
resetting
Apr 27 08:33:54 rdenney kernel: SCSI bus is being reset for host 0
channel 0.
Apr 27 08:34:03 rdenney kernel: (scsi0:0:3:0) Data overrun detected in
Data-In phase, tag 2;
Apr 27 08:34:03 rdenney kernel:   Have seen Data Phase. Length=6,
NumSGs=1.
Apr 27 08:34:03 rdenney kernel:      sg[0] - Addr 0x1c258000 : Length 6
Apr 27 08:34:09 rdenney kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Prevent/Allow Medium Removal 00 00
00 01 00
Apr 27 08:34:13 rdenney kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0 Read Reverse 00 00 00 06 00
Apr 27 08:34:19 rdenney kernel: scsi : aborting command due to timeout :
pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id 1, lun 0 Prevent/Allow Medium Removal 00 00
00 01 00

I have tried rebooting my older kernel (2.2.17) and I seem to see the
same problem as described above. I have recently added an Adaptec ATA100
card and a new ATA harddrive attached to that card. This drive is
recognized as /dev/hde, while older drives in the machine are attached
to the motherboard IDE connectors (/dev/hda, /dev/hdb, /dev/hdc and an
ATAPI cdrom drive).  I am going to try disconnecting this drive and
removing the card to see if this might be causing the trouble, but it is
not clear to me why it would or what I would do about it if it does!

Some smart SCSI person please help!

Rick Denney

------------------------------

From: James Cannon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Matrox MGA Ultima Plus 200 - Manual?
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 21:09:22 GMT

Hi ... I tried the Matrox Forum. My VLB is not supported. I've been
using a 2MB ATI Mach32, and have replaced it with a 1MB Matrox MGA
Ultima Plus 200. This card has 8 empty sockets for adding video memory.
I've filled half (4 out of 8), but see no improvement. I'm still showing
256 colors (or less) at all resolutions.

So, I'm looking for a manual, or someone who has a manual. I'm thinking
I have to set some DIP switches at the rear of the card. Any help
welcome. Email replies welcome too!

TIA,
James Cannon

SuSE Linux ... need I say more?