From: Jason Byrnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video Problem (RH7.1 + GeForce GTS 64)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 19:17:37 GMT

I have this strange video problem that I cant seem to make go away,
hopefuly one of you kind gurus can give me some advice. The problem is that
at random intervals my screen will flicker, it seems to be worse when I
have a window maximized that has a light colored background (could be I
just notice it more on the light background, I'm not sure). I've installed
the Nvidia drivers, but that didn't seem to help. I've disabled all modules
in the XF86Config-4 file, and still sporadic flickering. It realy makes the
eyes bug out. I'm at a loss for what else I should try, so please kind
souls, my eyes cant take much more.

TIA,
Jason

------------------------------

From: "ET1Mac" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: 2.2.19 Kernel and Printing ??
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 20:22:27 GMT

Hello;

Thanx for all the help on my sound configuration, finally got it to work.

But when I rebuilt the kernel I somehow lost my ability to print.

When booting with the new kernel (1st time) kudzu recognized my printer (HP
612C) and continued with the bootup process.

I then went to printtool to check everything but this is what I found:

No printer was installed; when trying to add a printer there was no
detection of and devices (dev/lp0, dev/lp1, dev/lp2).  So I inserted the
proper device (lp0 as from the original install) but received the following
error when trying to print a test page:

Error printing test page to queue lp
Error reason: lpr: connect: Connection refused, jobs queued, but cannot
start daemon.

I confirmed lpd was running and retried with same results.

Its something I forgot to include in the kernel configuration, but I
rechecked and keep coming up with the same results.  What could I have left
out.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Running RH 6.2
Kernel 2.2.19-6.2.1
AMD Duron 800
GigaByte GA-7ZX
30 G HD
HP 612C
CanoScan 300

------------------------------

From: Greg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Viewsonic VPA150 at 1024x768
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 20:38:44 GMT

I've read that XFree86 will support the VPA150 at 1024x768.  I've tried hand
modification of XF86Config using manufacturers Horiz. and Vert. Sync numbers.  It
works fine up to 800x600, but the screen goes black when X starts at 1024x768.  When I
tried setting the monitor and resolution with XConfigurator it only showed 640x480 and
800x600 as choices for the monitor.  Normally I could live with 800x600 , but the
monitor is a flat panel and if it's not in 1024x768 it's difficult to read.

If anyone has had a successful X experience with a VPA150 I'd appreciate any info.
BTW:  I'm running this with a 3dfx Voodoo3 card which is  more than capable of
1024x768.

------------------------------

From: "Garry Heaton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: About to buy Abit KT7A Raid system - any Linux 2.4 problems?
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:44:46 +0100

I'm about to buy a system with an Abit KT7A Raid FB 266Mhz motherboard. Are
there any known problems running Linux 2.4 kernel (Mandrake 8.0)? If so,
please advise on a more compatible motherboard. Thanks.

Garry Heaton

------------------------------

From: "Garry Heaton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Which adaptor card to buy for simple 2-PC home network?
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:49:48 +0100

Can anyone advise me or point me to information on purchasing a pair of
Linux 2.4 compatible network cards to create a simple 2-PC desktop network?
Thanks

Garry Heaton

------------------------------

From: mrsmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad Setup - Mandrake 8.0
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 15:58:58 -0500

I will put this problem out once again and see if I can get a
solution. I am wanting to use my MS Sidewinder gamepad with Mandrake
8.0. As root, I perform the following:

1. /sbin/lsmod (no listing for joystick)
2. /sbin/modprobe joydev
3. /sbin/modprobe sidewinder
4. /sbin/lsmod (entries are now there for "sidewinder", "gameport",
and joydev.

I cannot run the "jscal" or "jstest" programs because they apparently
are not on my system. So, when I go to a game, Rocks and Diamonds for
example, and try to use the joystick, it does not work.

My question is, what am I missing in getting this to work?

Thanks for any help.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: writing a kenel
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:44:37 +0200

Ian Ellis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I am a computer student and would like to write a kernel from scratch
>> based on minix.

> Eh?

Wittiest yet.

Maybe his name is HAL.

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:14:12 GMT

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:49:48 +0100, Garry Heaton
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can anyone advise me or point me to information on purchasing a pair of
>Linux 2.4 compatible network cards to create a simple 2-PC desktop network?
>Thanks

If you are not going to buy a hub or switch, you will need to
buy a crossover cable.

I am running 4 Linksys EtherFast 10/100 lan cards.
Set the bios PNP OS = NO and auto assign irq PCI slots = YES.

They have worked out of the box for Redhat 7.0 and Mandrake 6.x through 8.0

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/fhard.php3
http://linux.corel.com/products/linux_os/hardware.htm
http://www.redhat.com/corp/support/hardware/index.html
http://www.xfree86.org/cardlist.html

ps:

Helps if you provide what distro and release level you are using
when you post questions to the news groups. Different distros
have different commands, files, and links to files. Even happens
between release levels of the same distribution.

If window manger problem give it's name (gnome, kde, sawmill,...)
if dhcp client (pump, dhcpcd, dhclient,...)
Give error messages.
Look in your logs,  /var/log/messages on Redhat and Mandrake.

If it is a shell question, give the shell name (bash, tch, zch,...)

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Promise Ultra66/100 card and Maxtor drives
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan P. Kennedy, Sr)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:38:13 GMT

Promise IDE is onboard the asus a7v133a motherboard. I not 100% sure
that it is the same as the add in card.

This built in fasttrak support is ata100 + raid 0/1. It can be used as
raid controller or a ide controller. The configuration is done with
jumpers on the motherboard. Currently the onboard promise controller
is setup as an ide controller, and I use Linux software raid.

Another option that you should look at is 3ware ide controllers. These
controllers are 100% compatible with Linux. www.3ware.com

I not sure but heard that ATA100 was only burst mode and that
sustained transfer rates were the same as ata66. You better check this
out because I'm not sure about this.

Hope this helps.

 Monte> Are you using an IDE RAID card, or just an IDE adapter? I have
 Monte> an older Asus P2B motherboard w/ a P2-400 & 128MB RAM that I
 Monte> am thinking about using for a server project, but I am pretty
 Monte> sure that the IDE controllers on that mobo are ATA-66 at best,
 Monte> possibly ATA-33. I have one Maxtor 80gig hd and would like to
 Monte> add a second (or more) for a RAID 1 setup, or possibly later a
 Monte> RAID 0+1 scheme.

 Monte> I was considering a Promise ATA-100 controller (non-RAID) as a
 Monte> way to utilize these drives on this machine, and then try for
 Monte> software RAID. Are the Promise controllers workable for this
 Monte> kind of solution??

 Monte> TIA,

 Monte> Monte

 Monte> Alan P. Kennedy, Sr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
 Monte> in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
 >>  Note these are the drives.
 >>
 >> Both drives are very quiet. I mean very quiet. I cannot hear them
 >> at all.
 >>
 >> Model=Maxtor 5T030H3, FwRev=TAH71DP0, SerialNo=T3R6MGYC Config={
 >> Fixed } RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=57
 >> BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16,
 >> MultSect=16 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes,
 >> LBAsects=60030432 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120},
 >> tDMA={min:120,rec:120} PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4 DMA
 >> modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
 >>
 >> Model=Maxtor 53073H6, FwRev=DAC10SC0, SerialNo=K60JC8BC Config={
 >> Fixed } RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=57
 >> BuffType=DualPortCache, BuffSize=2048kB, MaxMultSect=16,
 >> MultSect=16 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=16514064, LBA=yes,
 >> LBAsects=60030432 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:120,w/IORDY:120},
 >> tDMA={min:120,rec:120} PIO modes: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4 DMA
 >> modes: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
 >>
 >> Sorry I thru away the box a long time ago. Don't know if they are
 >> they diamond version or not. Both drives are 7200 rpm and ata100
 >> compatible. I'm currently using them with Linux software raid that
 >> comes with kernel 2.4.2.
 >>
 >> Hope this helps. I had a computer in the bedroom once and found
 >> that the power supply fan was the biggest source of noise.
 >>
 >> Good luck

 >> writes:

 Gabriele> On Sat, 28 Apr 2001 19:50:15 GMT,
 Gabriele> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan P. Kennedy, Sr)
 Gabriele> wrote:
 >>  >> I currently have two maxtor 30 gig drives and they work
 >> perfectly >> with my promise controller.

 Gabriele> May I ask the exact model you have? Is it Diamond VL40? Can
 Gabriele> you tell me how much noise does it make? Thank you

From: Louis Boyd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:29:33 +0000

Garry Heaton wrote:

> Can anyone advise me or point me to information on purchasing a pair of
> Linux 2.4 compatible network cards to create a simple 2-PC desktop network?
> Thanks

You don't mention your objectives?  Do you want cheap or high
performance?  High isolation?  How far apart are your desks?     The
under $10 Realtek NE2000 clones will give decent performance on up to
300' of Cat5 cable. You could also use 100mbps cards such as the 3com
3c905, gigabit cards, fiber coupled cards, or wireless cards.

I have a two desktop network but one of the desks in on a hilltop and
separated by 1500' of air.  I use Lucent Wavelan cards with directional
antennas. Saves wiring and is lightning resistant.

------------------------------

From: Nils Holland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 23:34:14 +0200

Garry Heaton wrote:

> Can anyone advise me or point me to information on purchasing a pair of
> Linux 2.4 compatible network cards to create a simple 2-PC desktop
> network? Thanks

For a simply network you can actually get the cheapest cards available,
which will most likely be some PCI NE2000 clones based on chips made by
Realtek.

Most "no name" cards out there should probably be NE2000 clones, and if you
go to the computer store and ask for the cheapest network cards, you will
very likely get some of these. It doesn't hurt to verify, though!

Note that when compiling a kernel for these cards, you have to pay
attantion that you *don't* enable support for the original ISA NE2000
cards, but for the NE2000-clones listed in the "PCI Ethernet Cards" section
of the kernel configuration.

Greetings,
Nils

------------------------------

From: "Tom Hoffmann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Adding memory
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:20:59 GMT

In article <988568478.1044789271@news>, "Unknown" <Rossz Vamos-Wentworth
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I recently added another 64meg of memory to my box bringing the total
> to 128meg of physical memory.  My windows partition recognizes it, but
> my SuSE 7.0 Linux partition doesn't seem to see it.  Here's the
> results of "free":
>
>              total       used       free     shared    buffers
>              cached
> Mem:         66084      64488       1596          0       2656
> 21720 -/+ buffers/cache:      40112      25972 Swap:       136544
> 51288      85256
>
> Am I supposed to do something to get Linux to recognize the new
> memory?

You can try putting the following in your /etc/lilo.conf file:

append="mem=128M"

then run:

 /sbin/lilo

and reboot.

------------------------------

From: "Garry Heaton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 00:58:58 +0100

I've seen a few "10/100" models mentioned. Are these all 100Mbps clones? Is
the speed of data transfer affected by what you pay or is this only relevant
to networks larger than 2 computers? When I said "simple home network" I
meant "real simple" (Louis), ie. 2 PCs  2 or 3 yards apart with a view to
simply passing data between them. 3 partitions on each - Win98, Win2000 and
Mandrake 8.0

Regards

Garry

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:57:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "mrsmith"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I will put this problem out once again and see if I can get a solution.
> I am wanting to use my MS Sidewinder gamepad with Mandrake 8.0. As root,
> I perform the following:
>
> 1. /sbin/lsmod (no listing for joystick) 2. /sbin/modprobe joydev
> 3. /sbin/modprobe sidewinder
> 4. /sbin/lsmod (entries are now there for "sidewinder", "gameport", and
> joydev.
>
> I cannot run the "jscal" or "jstest" programs because they apparently
> are not on my system. So, when I go to a game, Rocks and Diamonds for
> example, and try to use the joystick, it does not work.
>
> My question is, what am I missing in getting this to work?
>
> Thanks for any help.

I've never dealt with joysticks myself, but the kernels help on the
subject points one to /usr/src/linux/Documentation/joystick.txt
Check it out.

/Peter
--
Ta bort NO-SPAM vid svar
Remove NO-SPAM when replying

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 2.2.19 Kernel and Printing ??
Date: 30 Apr 2001 00:52:37 GMT

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 20:22:27 GMT, ET1Mac staggered into the Black Sun
and said:
>But when I rebuilt the kernel I somehow lost my ability to print.

Did you make sure to say "M" or "Y" to all of the following?:

Parallel Port Support->Parallel Port Support
Parallel Port Support->PC-Style Hardware
Character Devices->Parallel Printer Support

>When booting with the new kernel (1st time) kudzu recognized my printer
>I then went to printtool to check everything but this is what I found:
>
>No printer was installed; when trying to add a printer there was no
>detection of and devices (dev/lp0, dev/lp1, dev/lp2).  So I inserted
>the proper device (lp0 as from the original install) but received the
>following error when trying to print a test page:
>
>Error reason: lpr: connect: Connection refused, jobs queued, but cannot
>start daemon.
>
>I confirmed lpd was running and retried with same results.  Its
>something I forgot to include in the kernel configuration, but I
>rechecked and keep coming up with the same results.  What could I have
>left out.

lsmod should show several modules present:  parport , parport_pc , and
lp.  If they're not there, load them.  If they don't exist within
/lib/modules/2.2.19/ , compile them.  If your /etc/modules.conf is set
up correctly, attempting to access /dev/lp0 should load all 3 of those
modules in the proper order.  HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 30 Apr 2001 01:01:06 GMT

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:57:30 GMT, Peter staggered into the Black Sun and
said:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "mrsmith"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I will put this problem out once again and see if I can get a solution.
>> I am wanting to use my MS Sidewinder gamepad with Mandrake 8.0. As root,
>> I perform the following:
>>
>> 1. /sbin/lsmod (no listing for joystick) 2. /sbin/modprobe joydev
>> 3. /sbin/modprobe sidewinder
>> 4. /sbin/lsmod (entries are now there for "sidewinder", "gameport", and
>> joydev.
>>
>> I cannot run the "jscal" or "jstest" programs because they apparently
>> are not on my system. So, when I go to a game, Rocks and Diamonds for
>> example, and try to use the joystick, it does not work.
>> My question is, what am I missing in getting this to work?
>
>I've never dealt with joysticks myself, but the kernels help on the
>subject points one to /usr/src/linux/Documentation/joystick.txt
>Check it out.

Is this a USB joystick, or one with the old 15-pin connector, or what?
You are running the 2.4.x kernel (a fact which you should've mentioned)
but anyway, if this is a USB stick you need to load the "input" module
and probably the "hid" module too.  If this is a 15-pinner, you need to
make sure that the soundcard module was loaded with joystick support (I
use "modprobe es1371 joystick=0x200") and you need to load the "ns558"
module.

Joystick support got a hell of a lot more complex in 2.4.x, and it seems
that module dependencies br0ke too.  And you should get jstest; check
http://freshmeat.net/ and go to town.  HTH,