From: Paolo Santinelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux and multi PCI Bridge chips
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 09:18:16 +0200

I am building an industrial PC, a system composed by a single boart PC
with pci connector, plugged in a PCI backplane equipped with 2 (or more)
PCI bridge chips to control a lot of pci expansion slot (until 20).

Can Linux support more PCI bridg chips.

Tanks in advance.

Paolo Santinelli

From: "Andy Elvey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie query - UDMA system - problem with Mandrake 8.0  & RH7.1 installs
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 19:07:46 +1200

 Ok - thanks very much for this  - will give it a go .... :-)

Nader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Sounds like you need the 2.4 kernel.  Until then, follow the instructions
at
> http://linux.nf/ultra66.htm.
>
> Basically, you will need to pass parameters to the kernel so that it can
find
> your UDMA HD.  once you have installed and stabilized your system, you can
> upgrade your kernel to 2.4.  This kernel version has UDMA support built
in.
> After that, you will no longer have to pass parameters to he kernel.
>
> Good luck!
>

> Andy Elvey wrote:
>
> > Hi all . First the (hopefully relevant!) config info for my PC -
> >
> >   Current OS - Win98SE  ( trying to ditch , but having problems , that's
why
> > I'm here ... )
> >   Chip - PIII 533Mhz
> >   Monitor - Philips 105S
> >   CD drive- Asus CD-3400A
> >    Modem - LT Winmodem (yes - will have no 'net under Linux - will
replace
> > this with the modem from my old PC which no longer goes ... :-)
> >    IRQs for UDMA are as follows -
> >    IRQ14 - VIA bus master PCI IDE controller (Ultra DMA)
> >    IRQ14 -  Primary bus master IDE controller (dual fifo)
> >    IRQ15 -  VIA bus master PCI IDE controller (Ultra DMA)
> >    IRQ15 -  Secondary bus master IDE controller (dual fifo)
> >
> >     The story so far - when I tried the installs , the Linux installers
> > (both for Mandrake 8.0 and RH7.1) seem to be unable to detect my hard
drive.
> > CD drive is found, no problem.  Hard drive - no go .....   Tried
Mandrake

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 01:50:45 -0600
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH7.1 kernel fails on dual Asus motherboard

Hannu wrote:

> I am trying to install RedHat 7.1 (comes with kernel 2.4.2) into this
> box, Dual Pentium III 933 Coppermines on a Asus CUV4X-DLS motherboard.
> The RH installation runs well, but when it comes time to boot, the
> following error messages come up,
>
> and the booting sequence stops righ there:
> Total of 2 processors activated (374210 BogoMIPS)
> Before bogocount - setting activated=1
> Boot done.
> ENABLING IO-APIC psysical APIC ID to 2 ...ok
> Synchronizing Arb IDs
> ...TIMER vector=49 pin1=2 pin2=0
> testing the IO APIC
> WARNING: Unexpected IO-APIC please mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ....done.
> calibrating APIC timer ....
> .... CPU clock speed 937.4845 MHz
> ..... host bus clock speed is 133.9260 MHz
> cpu: 0, clocks: 1339260, slice: 446420
> ..... CPU0<TO: 1339248,T1:892816,D:12,S:446420, C: 1339260>
> CPU: 1. clocks: 1339260, slice: 446420
>
> This is where the system dies. Looks like it cannot get the second CPU
> going. I did include kernel-smp package when installing.
> I know that my hardware works, Win2000Professional runs fine, uses
> both CPU's.
> Any help appreciated.
> Hannu

Some of the i840 chipset boards have problems with the IO-APIC (I don't
know if the Asus board is i840 or other, concept might still apply). Try
the kernel argument "noapic". For example, at the LILO prompt, to test,
you can hit the "tab" key to get a list of images it can boot...assume
one is called "linux", you could then type:
linux noapic

If that works, then it means only cpu will be able to handle hardware
irq's, and thus only one cpu will handle hardware such as drive
controllers, network cards, sound, or video cards, but otherwise it will
work with both cpus. In the past I've found out that some i840 boards
contain up to three of these broken IO-APIC's, while others might have
only 1. The ones with only 1 seem to do ok, mostly; the ones with 3 are
a real problem. It seems that all i840 chipset boards that have 64 bit
pci busses have several of the bad IO-APIC's, at least one tied to the
64 bit bus...which means pci activity there risks failure.

D. Stimits, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 01:54:35 -0600
From: "D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ESS Solo1 soundcard and Logitech Wingman Extreme (digital)

Jason wrote:

> I am trying to get my Wingman Extreme 3D (digital) that is attached to
> my gameport to work but now I am just confused as to what modules I
> should have loaded.
>
> I can load joydev, gameport, and then adi.  Gameport is not mentioned
> in joystick.txt but I figure you need it.  If I try to load ns558 it
> just says no such device.  My ESSSolo-1 sound card says that there is
> a joystick port on boot up at 0xa001.
>
> If anyone is using this soundcard and have a functioning joystick on
> the gameport, let me know.

I haven't looked at this joystick series in a long time, but in the
past, you had to first load any modules to support the hardware, e.g.,
the ESS stuff, then a generic "joystick" module, followed by another
module for the specific joystick...joy-analog for analog stuff,
joy-logitech at one time for wingman digital series (I don't know if it
is still named this or not). But look for the generic joystick module
insert, followed by something specific such as joy-logitech. FYI, if
your hardware is not initialized, or if the module is the wrong one, it
will tell you device or resource busy.

D. Stimits, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Helmut Steinwender" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Firewire, anyone
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 07:55:49 GMT

How does one use firewire devices, i.e. scanner, camcorder etc. under linux?

------------------------------

From: "Aalderd Bouwman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Two network cards
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 10:14:18 +0200

I had also the same problem with 2 3c509 cards. But when I one of the cards
replaced with a NE2000 compatible card it works fine!!
Kernel 2.2.14.

Aalderd.

Stranger in the night expecting glanses <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:9ck4qd$i1b$04$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I've got two tulip compatible network adapters in my computer, but i don't
>  get them to work, as the first one should be used for pppoe (TDSL/
> germany).
>  i configured it in KDE2, and got the message an icon will be available to
>  connect to the net after the next xserver start... but i'm to stupid to
> find
>  it.
>  The normal network should work over eth1, but every action (ping etc)
uses

------------------------------

From: Jacques <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Strange (?) memory error
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 09:15:33 +0100

I seem to have a memory error (kernel 2.4.3 prone to spontaneous
reboots). I ran Memtest86 (v2.5), and got errors in test 6 at addresses
0x00000e08, 0x000003e0 and 0x00000e48. I have 2 modules (32MB and
128MB). Running with just the 32MB DIMM gives no errors, and with just
the 128MB DIMM reproduces the errors at the above addresses. So I
suspect that the 128MB DIMM is faulty.

The strange thing is that swapping the modules gave me the exact same
addresses (and failing bits) for the errors. So is this really a problem
with the 128MB DIMM, or is there something more to it?

Thanks.
Jacques

------------------------------

From: "Amit kt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: óss linux
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 12:57:52 +0100

Does anyone know where can i get osslinux v3.9.4f commercial version.

------------------------------

From: "fyrie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: WinTV BTTV driver with NO SOUND
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 05:01:12 -0500

I Have the same problem :-(.. I have the WinTV also.

"David Leblond" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I have tried everything I have seen in this newsgroup to get my WinTV to
> have sound, but so far nothing has worked.  I am not getting any sound
> through my Line Out jack on my TV card, so it is not the mixer itself.
> Here are my current settings.
>
> (from info kernel log)
> Apr 30 21:04:05 localhost kernel: tvaudio: TV audio decoder + audio/video
mux driver
> Apr 30 21:04:05 localhost kernel: tvaudio: known chips:
tda9840,tda9873h,tda9850,tda9855,tea6300,tea6420,tda8425,pic16c54 (PV951)
> Apr 30 21:04:05 localhost kernel: bttv: driver version 0.7.57 loaded
> Apr 30 21:04:05 localhost kernel: bttv: using 2 buffers with 2080k (4160k
total) for capture
> Apr 30 21:04:05 localhost kernel: bttv: Host bridge needs ETBF enabled.
> Apr 30 21:04:05 localhost kernel: bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
> Apr 30 21:04:05 localhost kernel: bttv0: Bt878 (rev 2) at 00:0d.0, irq:
10, latency: 64, memory: 0xeb002000
> Apr 30 21:04:05 localhost kernel: bttv0: subsystem: 0070:13eb  =>
Hauppauge WinTV  =>  card=10
> Apr 30 21:04:05 localhost kernel: bttv0: model: BT878(Hauppauge new
(bt878)) [insmod option]
> Apr 30 21:04:05 localhost kernel: msp34xx: init: chip=MSP3430G-A1, has
NICAM support

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Subject: Re: Newsgroup for embeded linux?
Date: Tue, 1 May 2001 06:41:10 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] () writes:

[...]

>Anyway, are there any newsgroups for linux on single board computers, or is
>this the right place?

[...]

Given the fact that you're in your late 30's, you should have
been able to find comp.os.linux.embedded all by yourself.

SCNR

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

From: "William B. Cattell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: replacing a CDROM with a HD
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 10:44:40 GMT

The second IDE controller in a machine has gone bad so I temporarily
removed the slave hard disk and replaced it with a CD for installation
(Mandrake 8.0).  Now that the install is done (and running well) I want
to put the second hard drive back in.

I've connected it and on bootup the kernel read it properly but if I try
to fdisk it I'm told that drivers are not loaded for it.  The kernel version
is 2.4 and it's my first time working with that version.  I was thinking
that I needed to do a MAKEDEV on it but /dev/hdb already exists.

Any thoughts on how to proceed would be appreciated.

TIA,

Bill

--

http://members.home.com/wcattell
Park not thy Harley in the darkness of thine garage, that it

From: William Tang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware
Subject: two harddisks crashed and third one expected
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 12:47:54 +0200

Dear Internet friends,

 I have a big problem: IBM DTLA 305020 harddisk (20GB) of 6 months old
crashed and IBM DTLA 305040 ( new 40GB of one week old) crashed also. I
expect the new maxtor DiamondMax 40GB 7200rpm shall also crash soon.

 Can anybody make a suggestion to solve this problem? I really need some
help. The system configuration is as follows: asus a7v KT133 (rev 1.01,
5 pci slots), tbird 700MH, 256MB SDRAM + 256MB SDRAM (the second unit
added two months ago), matrox G400, DVD drive of the brand DBV
(connected to secondary slave ide), Plextor burnproof (connected to
secondary master ide).

 The story: about 6 months ago (oct 2000) I bought the system with only
20GB harddisk of IBM connected to ide primary master (ata66), running
redhat 6.2 and w98. Everythings looked stable after I had some problems
with motherboard. The vendor replaced the motherboard, power supply,
cpu. ATA100 was not used because redhat 6.2 didn't support it.

 4 weeks ago I bought a IBM 40GB drive and installed in the system
connected to primary slave ata66 mode. I have tried to install w2000 but
w2k failed to identify all the hardware and get into conflict. I gave
that up.

 But soon the 20GB drive made noise like something hitting or folding
the metal plates and I got also errors at the same moment from redhat
(ide hda timeout; LBA bad sectors) under normal operation. The errors
occured more frequently till the whole drive failed. IBM drive software
DFT identified the drive as defective nr=0x77 and 0x70. Soon I
reconfigured the new 40GB IBM drive as master but running redhat7.1 and
w98 (w2k also failed to install) on the promise ata100 connector (asus
motherboard can support 8 ide devices nl. 4 ide ata66 and 4 ide ata100).
The crash of the 20GB is considered as bad luck. But the same errors
happened again on the 40GB IBM drive after one week operation. I contact
IBM without satifactory result yet (Response (ref 109-930-638-6)). 28
april I bought a Maxtor DiamondMax 7200rpm 40GB drive in the hope that
the problem lay on IBM design (physically the drive should not be
damaged by the controlling software within a week). Neither the BIOS nor
IBM DFT software can even identify the 40GB IBM drive because the drive
was stuck at power-on (neither in ata66 nor in ata100 mode). After
installing the maxtor drive (using ata100) I re-install redhat 7.1
without problem and w2k gets to be installed by solving the multiple-irq
assigning problem (acpi seems to be the cause). Yesterday I heard the
noise again!! That terrifies me.

 Has anyone this experience? What should I do? If any additional
information needed, please reply directy to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thanks
in advance.

Yours sincerely,
William Tang.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 12:01:57 +0100
From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware
Subject: Re: two harddisks crashed and third one expected

SMART information is available in /proc.  For example,

/proc/ide/ide0/hda/smart_thresholds

and

/proc/ide/ide0/hda/smart_values

for the primary master hard disk.

Regular monitoring of these parameters will often inform you of an
impedeing failiure, at which point you can back up your data :-)

------------------------------

From: Ian Northeast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help me get scsi working?
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 12:34:03 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I use my IOMEGA ZIP drive very rarely.  Now I want to use it.  But
> /dev/sda4 is not a valid block device.  It's a SCSI internal drive, and
> I've compiled up generic SCSI support.  During boot, however, I see this
> message:
>         scsi: 0 hosts
>         scsi: detected total
>
> That doesn't sound good.

That is normal if your SCSI driver is a module as opposed to compiled
directly into the kernel. It should be detected later. Do you see "scsi:
1 host" later? This from a system with the SCSI driver as a module and
in a ramdisk:

scsi : 0 hosts.
scsi : detected total.
Partition check:
 hda: hda1
EXT2-fs warning: checktime reached, running e2fsck is recommended
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Configuring Adaptec (SCSI-ID 7) at IO:330, IRQ 11, DMA priority 5
scsi0 : Adaptec 1542
scsi : 1 host.
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST31200N SUN1.05  Rev: 8722
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 2061108 [1006 MB] [1.0
GB]

Regards, Ian

Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 13:06:57 +0100
From: John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup

cat /proc/scsi/scsi

after you have enabled the correct modules.  Does it list the ZIP drive?