From: Stuffed Crust <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hercules Game Theatre XP
Date: 14 May 2001 16:22:50 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I am very seriously considering buying one of these cards because I am completely
>fed up with my SB Live! and the unresolvable crackling problem. (I am choosing this
>one over the SonicFury or Santa Cruz because
> of the cool breakout box that it comes with.)

> Can anybody verify that this card works properly under Linux? Are any of its
>features lacking in support?

You'll need a bleeding-edge kernel (and I do mean bleeding-edge:
2.4.4ac4 or newer) to get intelligable output from it.

I'm not sure how well anything other than 2-channel waveout/wavein is
supported though..   I have one in one of my dual boot boxen right now,
but that machine has severe stability (hardware) issues, so I don't use
it much.

As far as Linux support is concerned, the best (modern) card to get is
the SBLive.  The GTXP should only get better, but it'll be a while
before you can take advantage of its fancier features.  And Philips
hasn't released any specs at all.  :)

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                    pizzaATfucktheusers.org
I ain't broke, but I'm badly bent.

------------------------------

From: "Michael J. Doyle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH 7, 2.4 Kernel Adaptec aha152x
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 11:47:47 -0500

If this is better answered in comp.os.linux.setup, please forgive me for
cross-posting in the future.

Newbie linux install.

In Expert mode, trying to load module aha152x to use my cd-rom connected
to a SB16 scsi card(Adaptec 6360 chipset). I've been to the RH site and
read their faq about scsi card installs and used parameters:

aha152x=0x340,11,1,1 where 1 is the scsi id and I assume the extra 1 is
for parity.

I've tried different scsi id's on drive(jumper settings) and different
adaptec drivers, even no parity, or 0 in place of one, but I always get:

"failed to insert aha152x module"

Do you gurus suppose this is a problem with my parameters, or could there
be something else I'm missing. I created disks with rawrite using the
boot.img and drivers.img from the RH cd on an old IBM pc350(p133) with
96mb ram, and a 1.2gb ide hd. NT loads their aha152 driver, so I know
driver and scsi card work, but if I was happy with NT, I wouldn't be here.

Mike

From: "SilentNight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat7.1+Nvidia+AGP Help
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 02:06:39 +0900

"Harvey Braun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> I would look forward to any info. I seem to be luckier that you in that
> everything works fine except that I do not get the 4x AGP that I was
> hoping to get when I did my upgrade.
>
> Thanks
> Harvey
>

> In article <9dlgum$ab6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bluesky"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I have a GeForce 2 AGP card and just found few days ago that RH 7.0 /
> > 7.1 appears to have some problem in installation.
> >
> > RH 7.0 hangs after formating partition preparing for installation, while
> > RH 7.1 goes smoothly until the end but at the first boot up, it also
> > hangs.  Since I have only one cd-rom, one hard disk, one sound card, one
> > network card, all those are OK in other motherboard, the only one left
> > is the video card.
> >
> > I plan to see next week if that video card is the source of the problem
> > or not.
> >
> > Will return with result when I have it.
> >
> > Hope somebody will give a positive answer, though I personally think the
> > GeForce 2 should not have problem, because RH 7.1 recognizes it anyway.
> >
> > SN

Sorry to be late in posting here new info.

Here it is:

my overclocking P3-700mhz FC-PGA to 895mhz prevents RH 7.1 running.

After taking out all cards, except the video and check, RH does not run.
Putting an old PCI video, an old TNT, 1st generation, these two run
perfectly
in Asus P3B-F, RH still hangs.  I am at my wit's end.  Have a break, coffee,
think,
and finally, that is the last possibility, which shows that RH may not like
overclocking ?

The Asus CUSL2 mobo + GeForce2 run perfectly with RH, not the video card.

Cheers,

SN

------------------------------

From: "David Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: PCMCIA / PS2 IRQ12 Conflict (2.4 kernel)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 10:30:09 -0700

Thanks Clark,

I'm not quite sure the problem is 100% related to the Yenta
driver though. Any idea why the mouse won't work if I uninstall
the PCMCIA drivers? If you stop the PCMCIA services, then
the interrupt is released. .... of course I haven't tried removing
the service on boot though.

Thanks for the comments.

Dave

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 19:55:40 +0200
From: Pieter Ekkebus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: SCSI errorr

When I copy from scsidisk to scsidisk I see sometimes some
error's in my log file:

(scsi1:A:0:0): Locking max tag count at 64

Somebody know what's going wrong?

My system:

PII-266 128MB ram ASUS P2B-S mbord

scsi1 : Adaptec AIC7XXX EISA/VLB/PCI SCSI HBA DRIVER, Rev 6.1.5
        <Adaptec aic7890/91 Ultra2 SCSI adapter>
        aic7890/91: Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 32/255 SCBs

  Vendor: IBM       Model: DCAS-32160W       Rev: S61A
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi1, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
(scsi1:A:0): 40.000MB/s transfers (20.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit)
  Vendor: DEC       Model: RZ28M    (C) DEC  Rev: 0616
Detected scsi disk sdb at scsi1, channel 0, id 1, lun 0
(scsi1:A:1): 20.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 15, 16bit)
scsi1:0:0:0: Tagged Queuing enabled.  Depth 253
scsi1:0:1:0: Tagged Queuing enabled.  Depth 253
 sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 < sda5 sda6 >
SCSI device sdb: 4110480 512-byte hdwr sectors (2105 MB)
 sdb: sdb1 sdb2 sdb3 sdb4 < sdb5 sdb6 >

Thanks

  Groeten,
  Piet.

------------------------------

From: "Jason Luther" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: promise ultra66 problems
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 11:08:00 -0700

To give an update, I'm still having some problems.

Using the stock RH7.1 SMP kernel, I am still using this counter-intuitive
kernel command line:
    append="ide2=0xeff0,0xefe6 ide3=0xefa8,0xefe2 ide4=0xef68,0xef66"

That lets me successfully mount hde, hdg, hdi, and hdk. I occasionally get
errors on hdi, but my data seems to be in tact. I still can't enable DMA for
hdg and hdk.

I compiled my own 2.4.4 kernel, and instead of getting "interrupt timeout"
messages, I got "lost interrupt" messages from hdi.

Can anyone tell me why the kernel parameters I'm passing are working?

Does it matter that one of my ultra66 controllers has a slightly newer
revision of the BIOS software?

Again, if anyone can recommend a well-supported IDE controller that will
work when there are two cards, please let me know.

Thanks!
Jason

"Jason Luther" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello.
>
> I have a Dual PII machine (Tyan Tiger 100) with two PCI Promise Ultra66
IDE
> controller cards in addition to the onboard IDE controllers. I've got my
> root disk on the onboard controller and four Quantum drives on the Promise
> cards, each acting as the master. I am using a vanilla RedHat 7.1
> installation.
>
> I am having trouble getting Linux to see and use the four Quantum drives
in
> this configuration. Without passing arguments to the kernel, Linux finds
the
> first master on each controller, but not the second. If I rearrange the
> drives so that some are slaves, Linux find them, but that's not the
> configuration I want (nor are my cables long enough to do that
permanently).

> Following instructions in several HOWTO's and newsgroup archives, I
checked
> for the I/O values in /proc/pci and passed them to the kernel. Then Linux
> finds all of the drives, but the drives on the second controller don't
work
> right. I get irq timeout messages.
>
> Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong? I've included some file snippets
> below.
>
> I get this error any time I access /dev/hdi: "hdi: irq timeout:
status=0x50
> { DriveReady SeekComplete }".
>
> I've rearranged the order of the drives, and it doesn't make a difference.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated!
>
> TIA,
> Jason
>

> from dmesg:
> -----------
> Kernel command line: auto BOOT_IMAGE=linux ro root=308
> BOOT_FILE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2-2smp ide2=0xeff0,0xefe6 ide3=0xefa8,0xefe2
> ide4=0xefa0,0xef7c ide5=0xef68,0xef66
> ide_setup: ide2=0xeff0,0xefe6
>
> ide_setup: ide3=0xefa8,0xefe2
>
> ide_setup: ide4=0xefa0,0xef7c
>
> ide_setup: ide5=0xef68,0xef66
>
> Initializing CPU#0
> [...]
> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.31
> ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus speed for PIO modes; override with
idebus=xx
> PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
> PIIX4: chipset revision 1
> PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xffa0-0xffa7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xffa8-0xffaf, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
> PDC20262: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 80
> PDC20262: chipset revision 1
> PDC20262: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> PDC20262: ROM enabled at 0xfebd0000
> PDC20262: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode.
>     ide2: BM-DMA at 0xef00-0xef07, BIOS settings: hde:pio, hdf:pio
> PDC20262: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 88
> PDC20262: chipset revision 1
> PDC20262: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> PDC20262: ROM enabled at 0xfebc0000
> PDC20262: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary PCI Mode Secondary PCI Mode.
>     ide4: BM-DMA at 0xee80-0xee87, BIOS settings: hdi:pio, hdj:pio
> hda: WDC WD136BA, ATA DISK drive
> hde: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct15 30, ATA DISK drive
> hdg: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct15 30, ATA DISK drive
> hdi: probing with STATUS(0x50) instead of ALTSTATUS(0xff)
> hdi: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct15 30, ATA DISK drive
> hdj: probing with STATUS(0x00) instead of ALTSTATUS(0xff)
> hdj: probing with STATUS(0x00) instead of ALTSTATUS(0xff)
> hdk: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct15 30, ATA DISK drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide2 at 0xeff0-0xeff7,0xefe6 on irq 16
> ide3 at 0xefa8-0xefaf,0xefe2 on irq 16 (shared with ide2)
> ide4 at 0xefa0-0xefa7,0xef7c on irq 17
> ide5 at 0xef68-0xef6f,0xef66 on irq 17 (shared with ide4)
> hda: 26712000 sectors (13677 MB) w/2048KiB Cache, CHS=1662/255/63,
UDMA(33)