Linux-Hardware Digest #779, Volume #14           Wed, 16 May 01 09:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: NIC setup Please Help ("Jerry W. Segers. Jr.")
  Re: motorola sm56 internal modem ("Pavan")
  Re: plattengroesse ("Eric")
  Re: Help with assigning eth0/eth1 to proper NICs ("Harvey Braun")
  Sony Vaio FX101 (Lea Anthony)
  Re: PCTEL-modem Linux Driver!!! (Lea Anthony)
  Re: segmentation faults (ASF)
  ISA WANGTEK 5150EQ tape streamer - ftape (Sander van Geloven)
  Re: Linux and Printers (Jef Peeraer)
  Fax modem US Robotics 56k Message (Volker Lenhardt)
  Re: Redhat7.1+Nvidia+AGP Help ("Harvey Braun")
  Compact PCI video card (Jeffery Candiloro)
  Re: Anyone selling basic cheap Linux boxes? (Jef Peeraer)
  Re: A CPU cooler for Linux? (Kenneth Rørvik)
  Re: Compact PCI video card ("Ben")
  Re: Compact PCI video card ("Ben")
  Who uses Hercules Game Theatre XP on Linux? (Andrew Luke Nesbit)
  Re: plattengroesse (M. Buchenrieder)
  Re: SCSI errorr (Pieter Ekkebus)
  Re: A CPU cooler for Linux? (Nils Holland)

From: "Jerry W. Segers. Jr." <segers_remove_this_so_it'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: NIC setup Please Help
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 03:29:04 -0400

man isapnp
man isapnp.conf
man pnpdump

pnpdump to a temp file, edit it by hand, copy that to /etc/isapnp.conf.
modprobe in the desired modules.  confirm that they both work, edit
modules.conf to auto load the drivers, RELAX! don't pop a vein ;-)

------------------------------

From: "Pavan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: motorola sm56 internal modem
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:16:35 +0530

Motorola has released linux drivers for their SM56 winmodem series.
Check it
out here

http://e-www.motorola.com/products/softmodem/

-Pavan

"DesertAsh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> hello,
>
>    im just a newbie on linux OS. I am using Red Hat 7 and is there a
way to make my motorola sm56 internal modem? I hope you can help or if
it wont can u tell me what modem shall i buy that can be used in any
OS?

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: plattengroesse
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:51:28 +0200

> > ich habe eine 10 GByte IDE-Platte, auf der eine 10 GByte- Windows 98
> > Partition war. Ich habe ein bischen rumgespielt, irgendwann mit Linux
> > alle Partitionen geloescht und mit   dd    Nullen auf die ganze Platte
> > geschrieben. Jetzt kann ich zwar mit Linux wieder frische Partitionen
> > anlegen und entfernen,  jedoch das FDISK von Windows 98 behauptet, meine
> > (garantiert leere !!!) Platte sei nur 479 MByte gross. Was kann da
> > passiert sein ?
> >

> My German isn't too good, so I will answer in English.
>
> If your intent is to run Windows and Linux on the same disk (platte?),

That wasn't the problem.

The OP used dd to clear his entire HDD. (Which is a 10G IDE)
Now windows98 fdisk can only see 479 MB of this disk.

So this is not a linux question, but really a windows issue.
He should check BIOS settings for this disk. Windows doesn't detect disks,
it uses whatever the BIOS tells it.

To the OP:

Such mal im BIOS nach die settings fur diesen disk. Warscheinlich detectiert
das BIOS diesen disk falsch. Aendere das, so das diese disk richtig anerkent
wird

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Harvey Braun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with assigning eth0/eth1 to proper NICs
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 08:29:33 GMT

I had the same type of problem with 2 network cards. I had one that I
wanted to use for my internal network and one for going out to a cable
modem. They are both PCI but one always loaded first when I set up the
machine no matter which slot I put it in. The way I got aroung it was to use Linuxconf
and simply
reassigne the first card from eth0 to eth1 and then the next one eth1 to eth0. When I
rebooted the machine that is the way it stayed.

HB

In article <989960817.911602@sj-nntpcache-3>, "Brian Davis"

------------------------------

From: Lea Anthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sony Vaio FX101
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:04:17 +0100

Hi,

I just bought one of these and initially was very dissapointed becuase
Mandrake wouldn't install due to kernel panics during PCMCIA probing.
Having disabled that with PCMCIA=no, I've gotten most things working ok.
Apart from the firewire port and the modem (winmodems suck).

Does anyone have any information regarding the following chipsets and
getting them to work under Linux:

FireWire:
  /proc/pci : Bus 1, device 0, function 0:
                  FireWire (IEEE1394): PCI device 104c:8021 (Texas
Instruments) (rev 2)
                  Master Capable, Latency=64, Min Gnt=3, Max Lat=4
                  Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4104000
[0xf41047ff]
                  Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4100000
[0xf4103fff]

PCMCIA:
 /proc/pci:  Bus 1, device 2, function 0:
                 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (rev 128)
                  Master Capable, No Bursts, Max Lat=7.
                  Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4105000
[0xf4105fff]

                 Bus 1, device 2, function 1:
                 CardBus bridge: Ricoh Co Ltd RL5c476 II (#2) (rev 128)
                  Master Capable, No Bursts, Max Lat=7.
                  Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xf4106000
[0xf4106fff]

I've just noticed that it doesn't seem to detect the parallel port
either, but I don't know where to look for info on that.

Any help, greatly appreciated.

-Lea.

------------------------------

From: Lea Anthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PCTEL-modem Linux Driver!!!
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:08:07 +0100

I think he means this:

 http://bbs.hancom.com/databbs/pds11_files/pctel-1.0-1hancom.i386.rpm

-Lea.

------------------------------

From: ASF <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: segmentation faults
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 12:19:26 +0200

Ronowald Verschuren wrote:

> How can I determine what component of my system is causing
> segmentation faults?

what are you doing when you get it?

ASF

------------------------------

From: Sander van Geloven <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: ISA WANGTEK 5150EQ tape streamer - ftape
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 12:12:10 -0400

Hi,

I have a WANGTEK 5150EQ tape streamer with ISA controller card connected
to a PII with Mandrake 8.0 installed. Now I cannot approach the device
because there is no /dev/... for it or maybe I am looking at the wrong
/dev/... (I do a check with tar fb /dev/...) However the ftape modules
load OK into the kernel.

Does anyone have tips to get this thing going? The controller card has
dip switches for IRQ, DMA and ADDR, so unfortunately it isn't a Plug and
Pray thingie.

Thanks,

Sander van Geloven

------------------------------

From: Jef Peeraer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and Printers
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 12:26:58 +0200

Mayan wrote:

> Where can I get a  driver for a Epson Stylus 800 printer, apsfilter does
> not cut it.
Have a look for the xwtools drivers+utils. They can be integrated in the
gimp or the ycan be used standalone. I use it for the epson 1270 so i
suppose the model you mentioned is supported as well.

Jef

------------------------------

From: Volker Lenhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fax modem US Robotics 56k Message
Date: 16 May 2001 12:33:20 +0200

Hi,

is there anybody who runs the offline fax features of the US Robotics
56k Message modem with Linux? I've got SuSE 7.1 on a Pentium II and
can't, as a matter of fact, fax via my ISDN card. So I want to use an
external fax modem that can cache incoming faxes when the computer is
off.

Can I fetch those faxes from the modem with mgetty or hylafax? Or
would I better try to get an Elsa Microlink Office that SuSE describes
as fully supported in its 7.1 distribution. But Elsa has stopped
producing this modem.

Thanks in advance from Volker

--
Volker Lenhardt
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Harvey Braun" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat7.1+Nvidia+AGP Help
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:34:19 GMT

I have tried it down to 1x. At 1x I can load agpgart but all opengl
applications seg fault. Nvagp does not load at any time. The agpgart will
not load at any setting above 1x.

HB

------------------------------

From: Jeffery Candiloro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
Subject: Compact PCI video card
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 10:42:27 GMT

Does anyone know of a compact PCI VGA video card with TV/video out
capability?

Thanks

Jeffery

------------------------------

From: Jef Peeraer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Anyone selling basic cheap Linux boxes?
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 13:02:00 +0200

Jim wrote:

> the softrat wrote:
>
> > Please drop me a line if you are.
> >
> Try www.valinux.com.  Their a top of the line linux systems supplier that
> sells desktop work stations for less than $1000 with a 17 inch monitor.
> --
> Jim
> www.GlobalLinux.com
Have a look at the dell servers , workstations as well. Some come
preconfigured with linux. Hardware is mostly good compatible with linux
( especially the portables )
Jef Peeraer             -o)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    /\
+32 3 7806582           _\_v
Real men don't take backups.
They put their source on a public FTP-server
and let the world mirror it. -- Linus Torvalds

------------------------------

Subject: Re: A CPU cooler for Linux?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenneth Rørvik)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:17:14 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <whmM6.6765$Az.676957
@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>:

>I noticed that my Windows with Waterfall Pro (CPU cooler software) keeps
>the CPU temperature low. In Linux, it is higher. I thought Linux had a
>CPU cooler code. Did I miss something? I am a Linux newbie, so hopefully
>I don't have to recompile Kernel :). I am using RedHat Linux v7.1. I
>look forward to receiving replies soon. Thanks!

I've noticed the same on my setup, using lm_sensors, even if I have "make
cpu idle calls when idle" compiled into the kernel. I suspect this is due
to less-than-perfect calibration in the lm_sensors package. Either that, ot
the numbers given in Windows are optimistic... ;)

I wouldn't worry too much about it, though, unless you are concerned about
your CPU overheating because of overclocking or poor cooling.

--
Kenneth Rørvik          91841353/22950312
Nordbergv. 60A          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Ben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
Subject: Re: Compact PCI video card
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 12:23:57 +0100

Yep, el cheapo cards that use the SIS 6326 with TV out option - I have one.
They are pretty crap (i.e. restricted to 640x480 and 800x600), and mine
doesn't like Windows ME 100%, so I can't resize my display on the TV.
640x480 is about 75% of the size of the TV screen and 800x600 is about 120%
of the size of the TVscreen.

If anybody knows how to fix this please contact me!

Ben

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Ben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 12:26:40 +0100

P.S. Don't buy it for graphics performance (the AGP ATI @Play cards with TV
out are good budget cards), since this thing runs like a dog without legs,
slower than an S3 Trio 3D (i.e. the only resolution it runs a modern game in
at a half decent speed is 640x480).

Ben

"Ben" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9dtnsu$1td$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Yep, el cheapo cards that use the SIS 6326 with TV out option - I have
one.
> They are pretty crap (i.e. restricted to 640x480 and 800x600), and mine
> doesn't like Windows ME 100%, so I can't resize my display on the TV.
> 640x480 is about 75% of the size of the TV screen and 800x600 is about
120%
> of the size of the TVscreen.
>
> If anybody knows how to fix this please contact me!
>
> Ben
>

> "Jeffery Candiloro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Does anyone know of a compact PCI VGA video card with TV/video out
> > capability?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Jeffery

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.tech
Subject: Who uses Hercules Game Theatre XP on Linux?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Luke Nesbit)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:57:45 GMT

I am very seriously thinking about buying one of these to be used primarily
on my Linux system (I am choosing it over TB Santa Cruz because of the cool
external box).

Does anybody have any experience in using this card with Linux?  And what were
your impressions?

The most recent (i.e. bleeding edge) 2.4.4 kernel sources have this to say,
(from the file drivers/sound/cs46xx.c), but I'm not really sure as to what
it means in terms of end-usability results:

        Playback/Capture supported from 8k-48k.
        16Bit Signed LE & 8Bit Unsigned, with Mono or Stereo supported.

        APM/PM - 2.2.x APM is enabled and functioning fine. APM can also
        be enabled for 2.4.x by modifying the CS46XX_ACPI_SUPPORT macro
        definition.

        Hercules Game Pro XP - the EGPIO2 pin controls the external Amp,
        but the static image can not modify the EGPIO pins, so we can not
        turn on the external amp.

        VTB Santa Cruz - the GPIO7/GPIO8 on the Secondary Codec control
        the external amplifier for the "back" speakers, since we do not
        support the secondary codec then this external amp is also not
        turned on.

If anybody can shed some light for me, then that would be really great.

Thanks.

-Andrew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:02:35 GMT

"Felix Tilley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>In article <9dqsro$mgl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Georg Gerber"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> Hallo,
>>
>> ich habe eine 10 GByte IDE-Platte, auf der eine 10 GByte- Windows 98
>> Partition war. Ich habe ein bischen rumgespielt, irgendwann mit Linux
>> alle Partitionen geloescht und mit   dd    Nullen auf die ganze Platte
>> geschrieben. Jetzt kann ich zwar mit Linux wieder frische Partitionen
>> anlegen und entfernen,  jedoch das FDISK von Windows 98 behauptet, meine
>> (garantiert leere !!!) Platte sei nur 479 MByte gross. Was kann da
>> passiert sein ?

Translation:

"I do own a 10GB disk that once contained a 10GB Win98 partition.
After having played around with Linux a bit, I finally deleted
all data on the disk by overwriting the disk with zeros. Now I'm
able to create new partitions with Linux, but Win98 "fdisk.exe"
claims that my (guaranteed to be empty) disk was only 479MB in total!
What may have happened?"

>My German isn't too good, so I will answer in English.

[...]

It's nice that you give it a try, although I fear that
your explanation won't help him in this scenario.

Georg:

Rerun Linux' fdisk program and make sure that there are no
partitions left over. You could also try cfdisk for that task.
Then check the system settings (CMOS) to find out what your BIOS
thinks about the drive geometry , and especially about the used
translation method.

In case there's no obvious error, try again from out of Linux,
delete all partitions, reboot, boot into Linux and create the
needed Win98 partitions from there.

I've seen similar problems with drives that contained either
MaxBlast software or other diskmanagers; it was sometimes impossible
to remove the remainders of these programs from the disk without
using "dd if=/dev/zero of..." on the whole disk (and not only the
boot sector).

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] * http://www.muc.de/~mibu

Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 14:28:55 +0200
From: Pieter Ekkebus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: SCSI errorr

"Stuart R. Fuller" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Pieter Ekkebus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : When I copy from scsidisk to scsidisk I see sometimes some
> : error's in my log file:
>
> : (scsi1:A:0:0): Locking max tag count at 64
>
> : Somebody know what's going wrong?
>
> What makes you think this is an error?

Intuition

> Do copies go correctly?

Yes

>  Are you seeing file corruption?

No.

--
  Groeten,
  Piet.

Your mouse has moved.

From: Nils Holland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 14:16:15 +0200

Kenneth Rørvik wrote:

> I wouldn't worry too much about it, though, unless you are concerned about
> your CPU overheating because of overclocking or poor cooling.

Yes, except for people that are into heavy overclocking, I have never
understood why one should need CPU cooler code. As long as the CPU doesn't
exceed its vaild operating temperature range, there's probably no need to
worry. And if the CPU gets too hot, then better look at better
hardware-cooling instead of putting too much faith in some software
mechanism that is supposed to make your CPU run cooler.

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
NightCastle Productions - Linux in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.nightcastleproductions.org
"They asked me where this earthquake would begin,
 I offered to let them feel my pulse."