From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Suspend-to-RAM on Linux
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 04:19:42 +0000 (UTC)

In article <3b01cfc3$0$14447$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Dances With Crows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 15 May 2001 13:31:40 +0000 (UTC), Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah
>staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>>Is Suspend-to-RAM (STR) supported on Linux?  If it is would appreciate
>>pointers to the docs.
>
>I think the suspend function on most laptops is dependent on the
>hardware.  For me, a large assortment of kernels, all compiled with APM
>support, worked with a Thinkpad 380D and a Thinkpad 600X.  The command
>is "apm -s", but most laptops automagically invoke suspend-to-RAM when
>the lid is closed.
>
>Thinkpads have a number of options as to what they do when an APM
>suspend event occurs; "tpctl" can control them.  Finally, if you give
>more information about your hardware, someone will probably be able to
>help you out more.

I'm using a desktop computer using a motherboard from Microstar model number
MS-6178 which has suspend-to-ram support.  Does anyone have any experience
with this board with suspend-to-ram ?

Thanks.

Napi

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
Subject: Re: Genius GM56PCI-L Modem Driver???
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 04:25:00 +0000 (UTC)

In article <3afeb376@news>, Vicente y Lorena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm looking for this driver..........
>
>Thaks.

I believe it uses Lucent chipset.  You can get the driver from:

http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

or

http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/lucent_old.html

or

http://walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/

Napi

------------------------------

From: Tobin Fricke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: UMAX 1220U flatbed scanner linux support?
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 04:37:57 GMT

Is the UMAX Astra 1220U (usb) flatbed scanner supported by any free
software? It is explicitly supported by the Linux USB Scanner driver, but
I'm not sure if there's a SANE backend.  Unfortunately SANE's USB support
webpage at www.buzzard.org.uk seems to be down.

thanks,
Tobin

------------------------------

From: "Vladimir Florinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hauppage WinTV PVR Redhat 7.1
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 21:28:43 -0700

In article <9e1o8v$8h2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "John McCabe"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> right tried it again without the .o for each module but still no joy,
> there is no i2c.o module just i2c-old.o and i2c-parport.o I've tried
> both and got the same result, running xawtv I am unable to tune in any
> channels all that I get is noise in the top 25% of the tv window...  /me
> is going nuts...
> "John McCabe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Has anybody managed to get this working? I've tried to use the
>> suggestions for the WinTV on the Hauppage support site (modprobe
>> /usr/sbin/bttv.o etc...) but it reports that the modules are not
>> found...
>> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.. /John

There is no i2c module. There are i2c-core and i2c-algo-bit (these you
need). The new bttv knows how to load them and probes the tuner type all
by itself. I recommenmd the following in modules.conf:

alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
alias char-major-81 bttv

I emphasize: don't load modules by hand.

I use zapping with the new XFree and the quality and performance are
great.

--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: "Krishnan Subramanian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI All In Wonder 128 PCI card Help needed
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 02:43:53 -0400

Hi,

I have installed the ATI all in wonder 128 PCI video card.
I installed Suse 7.1 Linux Professional edition. It doesn't recogonize my
video card (I think) and hence I couldn't run X windows on it. If anyone can
help me with a step by step instruction, please send the instructions to
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Thanks.

Krishnan.

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux: reduced capacity of my hard disk?
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 08:38:44 +0200

> Yes, thay are impressed on the metal disk label as C 6704, H 15, S 63.
> and 6704*15*63*512=3 243 663 Kb!

Good, then you can boot linux with the following parameters:

linux hda=6704,15,63

The disk should now be reported correctly.
I actually expect, as David already mentioned, that dmesg will report the
correct
parameters, and that these can be found in /proc/ide/hda/geometry too.

> are
>
> In fact, these values are reported by the Fujitsu site
> (http://hdd.fujitsu.com/global/drive/mpc30xx/mpc30xxat.hyml)
> as of  01/05/01.

probably real physical parameters, where the number of sectors/track isn't
constant.
I can't find the number of zones, that would make a calculation possible,
but I
wouldn't worry. You need only the logical parameters 6704/15/63

> Thank you David, for your anwer. and you Eric (I cannot read your
> message directly from Outlook Express but through David's !).

Hmm. I hope you an read this one.

> David, I am unable to quote what Linux says because I unistalled it to
> fix the disk capacity (That was my very first installation and the
> system was completely new to me.)
> I know that the disk was a 3.24 GB because, working under Win98, I was
> able to store almost all these bytes on it. The point is that, despite
> what the label says, if one makes calculation on the basis of the
> specifications found on the Web, the result is less than 3.24; so
> there must be a trick somewhere, which is beyond my technical
> knowledge and capacity to peruse the Web!
> Unless it was Linux (which I do not know at all) - or at least that
> particular Mandrake distro - to uncover the trick and utilize the disk
> as a 2.xx GB HD!
> So many times have I run fdisk, parted, fips, Linux fdisk (using the
> CD as rescue disk) that now I cannot tell what I did exactly! One
> thing is beyond any doubt: when I installed Mandrake the first time,
> in order to avoid any trouble to my working disks, I changed manually
> the connections, putting the 3.24GB disk as master on IDE1 (the slave
> being the CD drive) and choose the automatic installation. The rest of
> the story is already known.
> As you both seem to understand more technicalities than I do, may be
> it is worth to report one more strange thing:
>
> During my trials I created four partitions with Linux Fdisk (which was
> complaining about discrepancies between physical cylinders and
> partition end cyls).

That usually occurs when the BIOS starts reporting a disk differently.
It can be fixed by providing the "hda" parameter with lilo.

> I read the zero sector (using Hex Workshop): the following table was
> shown:
>                                  fixed disk 0x82 sector 0/4120703
>
> 00D0    (al zeroes, except the last four bits, which were:          82
> 13  30 22)
> 01B0
> 80 00
> 01C0    02 00    83 0E    3F 23     01 00    00 00    E3 84    00 00
> 00 00
> 01D0    01 24    0C 0E    7F 03    E4 84    00 00    E0 3A   03 00
> 00 00
> 01E0    41 04     83 0E    7F F3    C4 BF   03 00    F0 75    03 00
> 00 00
> 01F0    41 F4     05 0E    BF 2F    B4 35   07 00    7C 75    59 00
> 55 AA
>
> Then I exited Hex and Win, restarted with Linux CD (F1, rescue mode)
> and invoked Linux fdisk.
> Using the 'd' option of the 'expert' mode ('x') I got different
> values; namely:
>
> 0x1B0
> 00 00
> 0x1C0    C2 A0    83 0E    BF 2F    01 00    00 00    8F FD    26 00
> 00 00
> 0x1D0     00 00
> ..............00 00
> 0x1E0     00
> 00....................................................................
> ................. 00 00
> 0x1F0     00 00
> ..00 00    55 AA
>
> (the points '.........' stand for '00 00')

This table contains only one (linux) primary, where the former contained :
linux,
DOS,
linux,
extended

It's not the same table.

> From the various docs I have been reading those values should indicate
> the boundaries of the partitions; but why they are not 'seen' in the
> same way by the two softs?

I don't have a clue.

> Ok, I realize I wrote too much.

You can't.
You can only give too little information, never too much.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jon Leech)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.graphics,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: yes, 2 SGI 1600sw LCD panels DO work in linux in dualhead mode!
Date: 18 May 2001 07:46:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Bryan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>but here's the funny part.  the supreme value is the x-server, itself.
>that's what people use, uhm, to -display- data.  if that part is
>opensource (and it clearly is), then why the hell won't sgi release
>the remaining specs so that we can control the friggin brightness!!
>sheesh - its far far less interesting how they do that, but its the
>final 2% of the solution.  and since there's NO physical
>brightness/contrast control on the device (bad design, btw), you MUST
>have an interface via software to turn the brightness down (its
>way too bright in its default as-shipped setting, btw).

    Um, SGI did not write the #9 driver in XFree86. SGI did not write
the #9 drivers on Windows, either. Nor do we own IP on their hardware.

>uhm, numbernine is OUT OF BUSINESS.  what possible gain is there to
>hold back info on a totally unsupported board?

    That they're out of business has no bearing on our legal rights to
their IP - even if we *had* their IP. I don't know who inherited #9's
assets, but it wasn't SGI.

    I suggest you look up Alberto Moreira, who used to be a driver
engineer at #9 and posted a lot to Usenet. Finding someone who actually
worked on the #9 hardware and drivers is probably your only hope, and
you're *not* going to find those people at SGI. Orphaned hardware like
the Revolution IV is hard on the owners, but no number of complaints
about this to a company that did not *make* the card in question is
going to change the reality of the situation.

    Jon

------------------------------

From: Andrey Vlassov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to use  USB scanner ?
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 07:46:21 GMT

Hi Rao,

please do not expect to find this kind information on the page of
manufacture you scanner. Only a few companies keep reference to Linux
community pages from where you can obtain this information. Yes, there
are some cases that you will find information how to configure their
hardware for Linux on their websites but you will find it not so often.

Just go and check that you scanner supported by SANE project and may be
you are lucky that your scanner is supported. (Not so many USB scanners
supported due protocols used by scanners kept in secret)

http://panda.mostang.com/sane/

Andrey

From: Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tape, Travans and Misery
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 09:30:23 +0200

Leejay Wu wrote:

> (Trouble with ATAPI tape drive)
> Well, being detected as /dev/hdd is fine; at least the cables
> are probably in place.  Do you have
>
>                   Major/Minor
>   /dev/ht0        37, 0          (rewinding IDE tape #1)
>   /dev/nht0       37, 128        (non-rewinding interface to same)
>
>  (both are block devices)

Major + minor no. are correct, but these are *character* devices -
as any other tape drive. Don't know why though, maybe only
historical reasons; of course the drive accesses the data internally
in block chunks, and there's mt, tar, cpio, etc. all talking
about blocks and block size etc.
Maybe you think I'm too pedantic - but the OP won't get any
error from issuing "mknod /dev/ht0 b 37 0" - but of course
when trying to use that device...
So please replace the "b" by "c" in the above command !

Juergen

------------------------------

From: Lea Anthony <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Screen Size problem on Sony LCD screen
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 09:58:48 +0100

Hi,

I have a Vaio FX101 and it would seem that the maximum res it'll display
under linux is 1024x768, it will go upto 1400x<whatever> under windows.
If I change XF86Config-4 to go higher it crashes.
Another thing, when I go to console or a different mode, instead of the
mode changing to fill the screen area, it uses a small section in the
center of the screen. Is that normal laptop behaviour (this is my
first)?

Thanks,

-Lea.

------------------------------

From: "TS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hard disk clonning
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:10:49 +0200

Hi all,

I am looking for your expertise for the following problem:

Problem Description:
I have a laptop with 20 GB hard disk. There are two operating systems;
Windows 2000 and Red hat Linux 7.0 installed on it. The hard disk is divided
into two main partitions one for windows and one for Linux. Linux is not
obviously installed on MBR. The w2k part of the hard disk is further
partitioned into C and D. Now it is desired to clone this whole hard disk
onto another. Can some one please help me to do this?
-
I have read about some commercial products to achieve the above mentioned
but they are quite expensive. I would really appreciate if some one could
please direct me how to achieve this goal. Any suggestions/links to helpful
websites are welcomed!

Regards,
TS

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: difference between kernel 2.0.x and 2.2.x
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 18:46:50 -0500

hnlin wrote:

>    Hi,all,
>       Can anybody tell me the different features between kernel 2.0.x
>    and 2.2.x?
>
>     Thanks!!

Check out:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/

Each kernel subdirectory there should have a file describing
changes.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "JP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IBM DFHSS4E SCSI Disks
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 11:05:44 +0100

Anyone got any IBM DFHSS4E SCSI disks installed in their system?

I got hold of some FOC and would like to use them but they don't want to
play. I've tried different disks and SCSI cards but can't see them.

If you know what switch settings should be used and what card is needed it
would be muchly appreciated.

TIA

From: Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.sgi.graphics,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:48:55 -0000

In comp.sys.sgi.graphics Jon Leech <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Bryan  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>but here's the funny part.  the supreme value is the x-server, itself.
>>that's what people use, uhm, to -display- data.  if that part is
>>opensource (and it clearly is), then why the hell won't sgi release
>>the remaining specs so that we can control the friggin brightness!!
>>sheesh - its far far less interesting how they do that, but its the
>>final 2% of the solution.  and since there's NO physical
>>brightness/contrast control on the device (bad design, btw), you MUST
>>have an interface via software to turn the brightness down (its
>>way too bright in its default as-shipped setting, btw).

>     Um, SGI did not write the #9 driver in XFree86. SGI did not write
> the #9 drivers on Windows, either. Nor do we own IP on their hardware.

are you saying that sgi wasn't aware of the protocol between the pc
and the card, as well as help influence the protocol between the card
and display?  you're saying that the entire product set (card and tft)
were all done by #9, and that sgi was just a mere packager for the product?

surely you can't be sued by a NON-EXISTENT company?  if there's info inside
sgi (and there must be; sgi had sources to NT at one point and probably did
the driver for that panel when they released their first Wintel Box Thing.
knowing that sgi customized their NT so much makes it hard to believe that
no one inside sgi knows the 'brightness protocol'.

lawyers or no lawyers, a non entity can't sue you.  #9 is dead - I see no
reason to hold back info on a dead company's product.  but maybe there's just
something key that I'm missing in all this politics (?)

--
My email addr can be found on my web page:  http://www.snmptools.org
    Please DON'T send me email when you're posting a follow-up.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Acher)
Subject: Re: USB - modem
Date: 18 May 2001 12:35:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Karl Scheel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
|> Unfortunately, you cannot. I have read somewhere that for now, USB
|> modems are a type of winmodem, although I forget exactly where. However,

This is not true. There exists a USB specification for modems (ACM), and modems
which are compliant to that spec also work with the ACM driver in Linux.

Unfortunately, there are vendors that invent the wheel again or save the wheel
at all. So there are a lot USB modems that are actually Winmodems in the most
evil sense: USB-Soundcards with line interface. These are not supported (and
will never be).

To see, which USB modems work with Linux, look at http://www.linux-usb.org

Eg. the Elsa Microlink 56k USB  does work, the Elsa Microlink 56k USB FUN does
not.

--
         Georg Acher, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         http://www.in.tum.de/~acher/

From: "Alexander K M Leung" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Iomega ZipPlus with Red Hat 7.1
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 20:10:39 +0800

Hi,

    Where can I download the required driver or kernel for Iomega ZipPlus
with Red Hat 7.1?

Regards,

Alexander Leung