> Quite right, this is a good question. Today we cannot distinguish between the
> two. Should we improve the deferred probe to tell us when the init
> is complete and all the modules have been initialized? If we ever have such
> a mechanism to check then we know no modules are to be inserted then we can
> fall back to PIO mode.

Well, the user can load modules from userspace. And I could imagine
there are people wanting to defer things until they load a module
manually. And surely there will be a case where, for some reason, the
deferred code has to be built-in. I trust Murphy's law here...

> Without that we should use some timeout counter to fall back on, say
> try requesting 5 times and give up and move to PIO after that

Won't work. In my case, the I2C driver gets deferred two times and then
the list becomes static already.

On top of that, arbitrary retry values don't make me happy. Mentioning
Murphy's law again...