[ Added Jeff, Jens and Mike Christie to Cc. I would _guess_ this is
  associated with the "larger block pc request" stuff: Mike, Jens? James B
  added for good luck.

  It apparently started happening somewhere between 2.6.19 and 2.6.20-rc2,
  and doing a

        gitk v2.6.19..v2.6.20-rc2 block/scsi_ioctl.c drivers/ide/

  I don't see anything else that really looks all that suspicious.. Unless
  maybe it's that "Fix SG_IO leak". Jeff added because of the hddtemp
  issue, but I think that was effectively SATA-only, so probably isn't
  relevant.

  Damn, I just realized that Jens is in the middle of his vacation for a
  week..

  Mike, can you please look at this and check? ]

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007, Mike Galbraith wrote:

> FWIW, I just tried it with 2.6.20-rc6, and can confirm.  Once nero is
> run, the kernel never gives up retrying whatever command failed, so I
> get...
>
> [ 4362.972995] hdd: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
> DataRequest }
> [ 4362.981475] ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> [ 4362.986183] hdd: drive not ready for command

Ok, I tried the demo version you can download at

        http://www.nero.com/eng/nerolinux-prog.html

and yes, nerolinux seems broken. I've never used it before, but it
triggers:

        hda: irq timeout: status=0xc0 { Busy }
        ide: failed opcode was: unknown

and after that there is indeed an endless stream of:

        hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
        ide: failed opcode was: unknown
        hda: drive not ready for command

Which eventially switches to

        hda: status error: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest
Error }
        hda: status error: error=0x40 { LastFailedSense=0x04 }
        ide: failed opcode was: unknown
        hda: drive not ready for command

However, it appears to be rather hard to debug, with nerolinux being some
closed black box. Does anybody who knows nero know if there is some way to
get debug information out of it to see what it tried to do?

Can somebody try to bisect this?

                Linus