Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
>>> * promise: SATA/PATA branches are converted into separate ops.
>>>   Remaining ones are converted to more standard ap->cbl ==
>>>   ATA_CBL_SATA check.
>>
>> NAK this specifically
>>
>> I've got some pending and needed patches to spot where drives report SATA
>> and the host is doing PATA cables. This is needed for various warped PATA
>> controller and glue variants and means that the PATA port probe may end
>> up returning with ap->cbl == ATA_CBL_SATA if it finds SATA devices on a
>> supposedly PATA port.
> 
> Indeed.
> 
> With the new init model, testing for ATA_FLAG_SATA should be the
> preferred test, as it makes all the mixed PATA/SATA ->port_start hackery
> and tests go away.
> 
> With the new init model, the LLDD and core should now /always/ know
> whether the port is PATA or SATA.  The LLDD will set it up that way.
> 
> Now that different ->ops for PATA and SATA is supported (with Tejun's
> patches), I would expect the number of "is this port SATA?" tests to
> drop dramatically, for reasons mentioned in the previous paragraph and
> also because you can create separate hooks for PATA and SATA that
> permits the killing of "is this SATA?" or "is this PATA?" tests.

I see.  I'll drop that part.

Thanks.

-- 
tejun
-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ide" in
the body of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
More majordomo info at  http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

Reply via email to