Tejun Heo wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Alan Cox:
>>> What model and what firmware ? There are some problem firmware releases
>>> around with older SATA drives
>> Samsung SP2004C, firmware version unknown -- how do I find out?
>
> Please post the result of 'lspci -nn' and full boot log.  Samsung
> firmwares tend to be pretty good but I've seen earlier ones occasionally
> lock up after certain PHY events.  Removing power and reapplying puts it
> back into sane state.

Oh and I'm pretty sure it was the drive which locked up.  If you connect
the harddrive to different working port without removing power, the same
timeouts happen while the original port detects and works fine with
another hotplugged drive.  And for the record, among the earlier SATA
drives, samsung ones were definitely in the better group.

Also, please include full log of failure.  Thanks.

--
tejun