Alan Cox wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2007 at 05:34:36PM +1000, Andrew Hall wrote:
>
>>Further to this the PATA to SATA bridge being used in this case is:
>>
>>http://www.jmicron.com/JM20330.html
>>
>>..as you will see only PIO and UDMA modes are supported.
>

> In which case their microcontroller in the middle should be masking ident
> bits. Without a way to detect the presence of the device I don't see an
> easy way for us to handle it automatically at all

I didn't test whether MWDMA2 is supported by the JMicron bridge or not.
But I'm sure that the JMicron bridge doesn't mangle the IDENTIFY to
indicat anything about MWDMA unsupported:
(Previous test report:
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-ide/msg01514.html)

The Acard ARC-770 bridge from another vendor does mangle the IDENTIFY
data and indicates MWDMA unsupported as Alan advised.

Andrew, maybe you could test if such bridge works with your CF device.
(http://www.acard.com/english/fb0101.jsp?type1_idno=1&type2_idno=17)
--
albert