On 09/07/2007 06:47 PM, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>>> This is useful when debugging, handling problem systems, or for
>>> distributions just to get the system installed so it can be sorted
>>> out later.
>>>
>>> This is a bit smarter than the old IDE one and lets you do
>>>
>>> libata.pata_dma=0        Disable all PATA DMA like old IDE
>>> libata.pata_dma=1        Disk DMA only
>>> libata.pata_dma=2        ATAPI DMA only
>>> libata.pata_dma=4        CF DMA only
>>>

> FWIW -- as I noted to Alan personally at KS, I would rather drop the
> "pata_" and have it apply to all, PATA or SATA.

Not sure that's a good idea for people who need to use it as a workaround.
E.g. they might have DMA working on some SATA devices but not on PATA, and
only want to disable the PATA DMA. Either adding a separate "sata_dma" or
additional bitfields for SATA would be useful.