I'm trying to install Linux on a computer (in my living room) that is to
be connected to my television.
I'm using an ATI 3D Rage II+PCTV with a composite RCA cable.
When I boot the computer, the screen looks just fine, but I can't
configure XFree86 to use the television.
All I get is a TV out of sync.

I've read the video timings HOWTO and tried to use xvidtune to manually
configure it to use
a vertical refresh rate that is lower than 50Hz.

ATI's support site says they don't support the TV interface on operating
systems other the M$ Windows, but what I read there imlies that there is
only a problem when you try to connect it to a PC monitor AND a TV
screen.
XFree86's FAQ also answers to a question like "I get a garbled display
on the monitor when I start X" with the reply "Take out the video cable,
the Mach64 server doesn't work well with that". This answer makes me
wonder if I should have a problem.

1. Does anybody have any expirience with that sort of configuration?
2. If ATI's PCTV doesn't work, what does?