On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Liran Zvibel wrote:

> I have few questions:
> 1. Is there an insta party?
> 2. Should the people of LinuxIL come and help install ( thus meaning that
>  Ican't sleep till take next Fri.

IIRC, it's made up by sivan's people, in the same place in dizengof that
PF1's one took place previously.

> 3. Where/When exactly will it be (a link to a web page will be great)

forgot. somewhere on sivan's site, i guess.

> 4. Will RH 6.0 will be installed/sold (if it is RH 5.2, I don't see the point
>  in this InstaParty.)

i think it's time people would stop this micro$oftish behaviour - this
installation parties are about helping people getting linux installed. NOT
about getting the latest redhat release installed over older versions. if
you're at that - you don't need an installation party to help you - do
you? (you as in anyone who's making such upgrades. i know you
specifically don't need help with that).

that's why i also suggest to the people making the installation party at
the technion - it is better to get people off running with a release
that's known to be stable and work properly, then to say "gee, lets give
that newcomer the latest release that only came out few days ago, and is
quite bound to carry various problems with it. we've seen such problems
coming with many "major" releases of redhat. at least with 4.0 and 5.0 -
both needed two minor versions to stabilize. this is not a gold rush,
you'll be just fine with software from 1998. don't rush people to do
upgrades every day, cause that's part of the reason people don't like
messing with operating systems.

you'd also note that since installing a new system over an old one now is
rather easy, as well as getting newer versions of specific packages and
updating them _when needed_, this 'newest version rush' makes no sense to
the normal user - if someone specifically likes always checking what's new
and wants to always have the latest version of everything - that's fine.
but many people don't want to play this game. and most new-comers won't
even understand why this is different then that, etc. just let them start
somewhere. they'll catch along when they feel they are comfortable with
the move to linux, and when they feel the need to upgrade.

guy