On Tue, 4 May 1999, Schlomo Schapiro wrote:

> thanks, this definitively brings me forward. I indeed want apache to
> deliver a listing of the contents of the dir (also of the symlink and the
> stuff below), since it contains only pics and data files I want to be able
> to download like this. It seems a waste of time to me to have to create
> index.html specifically for this. It would be nice though, if apache could
> create a nice index page with appropriate icons (perhaps thumbnail view
> .. ?). Perhaps somebody on the list did something similar and simply can
> mail me their relevant config files ?

actually, what you set up ought to work. apache indeed creates indexes
automatically for directories that lack an 'index.html' file (or whatever
name you specified as the default html file). it'll also place the
thumbnail icons, if you've placed the 'icons' directory that comes with
apache, in the correct place (look for the 'Icons' keyword in the srm.conf
file, it specifies where apache should look for those thumbnail icons when
creating directory indexes).

now, did you try this WITHOUT a symbolic link? try it with a real
directory first, to see that this works. Then try a symbolic link to a
_file_ , and see that this works. and only THEN try a symbolic link to a
directory (WITH an index.html file) and check that, and finally - a
symlink to a directory that has no index.html file....

also, did you make sure that you've set the proper options for the
directory to which your symbolic link points? that could be relevant as
well.

> About .htaccess: Am I correct to understand that a ,htaccess file is in
> fact a directory container of the form <Directory .> ... </Directtory> ?
> It seems so from the sample you send me and I didn't find this tiny, but
> crucial, info in any of the docs ... This is what I meant by "docs are
> not written for people starting with apache".

yes, that seems to be the case. after all, why use a '.htaccess' file in
the first place if it's location has no relevance only to a given
directory?

> Thanks, Schlomo
>
> PS: What about the VT420 stuff ???

not I. haven't used a terminal for quite a few years, and when i did - it
wasn't with linux, and i never configured it.

guy