On Wed, Jun 09, 1999 at 01:13:36AM +0300, Vadim Vygonets wrote:

I will not flame anyone, just point out one correction:

> Alright.  It's only my opinion, so feel free to flame away.
>
> > 1. Hardware resources
> > 1.1 What is supported, what is not
>
> Linux supports more hardware than BSD systems, as a rule.  Still,
> some hardware is supported by BSD system but not by Linux.  For
> example, BSDI supports serial multi-port cards (lots of them),
> and Linux, AFAIK, does not.

The standard Linux kernel comes with support for
    Comtrol Rocketport, Digiboard Intelligent async (the X* boxes),
    Digiboard PC/Xx series, SDL Communications RISCom/8, Specialix IO8+,
    Cyclades, Stallion EasyIO / EasyConnection 8/32 / EC8/64 / ONboard
    / Brumby, and Hayes ESP.
Many of these drivers come with support for features such as swapping
pins (for hardware handshaking etc.)

I have had great success with PCI Digiboards. In fact, my shop has
several console concentrators with up to 48 ports, based on low-end
PCs running linux, X/em Digis and two scripts to get the system to
act as a terminal server (rather cheaper though). These machines
generally achieve very nice uptimes, too.

In 2.0 kernels, you did have to patch the kernel with a driver Digi
supplied, true, but now it's integrated into 2.2. I have no experience
with other multiports.

--
believing is seeing
[EMAIL PROTECTED]