Quoting Yedidya Bar-david <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi
>
> Iftach Hyams wrote:
> >
> >  The defrag program can't run while the FS is mounted. Is there a way to
> > boot with a diskette and apply it ?
>
> You can do it with the filesystem mounted read-only. In your boot prompt
> (lilo?) give a parameter '-b' (or better, 'boot=/bin/sh' - I don't know
> what Mandrake does with '-b'), make sure the fs is mounted read-only
> (I personally do it with ':>tt' and expect an error message) and
> run whatever you want (defrag, debugfs, fsck, ...).
> Much easier than finding a floppy with no bad blocks :-)

You do not have to boot in order to mount RO. You can remount.

mount -o remount,ro /dev/{mountedDisk} /Your/Mount/Locatoin

Liran.
Liran Zvibel.                            | " Give a man a fish and you
System Programmer, System Administrator. |   feed him for a day;
email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]              |   teach him to use the Net
phone : 972-54-876808 ; 972-3-6499371    |   and he won't bother you
home  : http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~liranz|   for weeks. "
UIN   : 708004        ; WHOIS : LZ615    |