I don't believe I can help you much but I hope that the next few lines will
not do any harm:
1) I was connected to Internet-Gold months ago, and I am sure they did not use
PAP then. Are you sure they are using it today ?
2) Have you tried to connect to them with minicom ?
3) The PPP-HOWTO is a great source of information for what you are trying to
accomplish.
4) I suggest sending this list the relevant config and log files (without the
password, ofcourse).
5) Are you trying to connect as root or as an ordinary user ?
6) What distribution are you using (Is it RH) ?