On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi,
> I trying to install RH 6 on PII 500Mhz with 256MB RAM and with Matrox and
> 3com905-TX cards and 4GB HD
> I'm booting from the CD and after the img' files load the system halt and I
> got this message:
>
> code : ............... ( hexa numbers ) ...........................
> Aiee, killing interrupt handler
>
> kernel panic: attempt to kill the idle task!
> in interrupt handler not synching
>
> I try to set default setting to the BIOS and try to set the HD to LBA
>
> some times I get the message:
>
> Linux NET4.0 for LInux 2.2
> base upon Swansa University.....
> unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address fa26d9e6 ( and
> the address number is changing evry boot)
>
> PLEASE HELP
>
> Shay.

Hi,
Perform fault isolation as follows: Remove all cards except the video.
Switch to a faster RAM, use a single SIMM 16 or 32 Mb RAM that you know
works in a linux machine. Then try to boot. If you can boot, switch back
to your 256MB RAM and try to boot again, if it works, put in the cards
one-by-one and reboot after each card until you find the problem. Try
switching the positions of the cards. IMHO the most likely sources of the
problem are:

1. RAM speed too slow or defective RAM. Remember that just because a
particular hardware setup works with NT doesn't mean it will work with a
real OS.

2. Card not seated properly due to defective slot or mechanical
incompatibility (contacts are shorting out)

3. Defective card

Regards,

 - yba

   EE 77 7F 30 4A 64 2E C5  83 5F E7 49 A6 82 29 BA    ~. .~   TclTek Ltd.
  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - tel: +972.52.670.353, http://www.tcltek.co.il -