Suggestion for a project for a youngster who is looking for a niche which
would give him satisfaction, fame and riches:

How about developing PPP configuration scripts for the other
distributions?

Then the Technical Support would need only to tell the newbie to download
the script from their Web site and run it and answer its questions (of
course, presented in a nice GUI - which Tk and Python can easily provide).

Someone with close connection to Technical Support (enough to hear about
commonly-occurring problems) can utilize the information to improve the
scripts to recognize common problems (such as failure to install an
essential package) and solve them automatically (of course, after getting
confirmation from the user!).

On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:

> Anyway, I had by now few customers call up with questions about Linux.
> Obviously they were newbiews. Guiding to install PPP via Linuxconf is
> a good solution for RedHat, but some distros just don't have it. Yep,
> I'm ashamed to admit I don't know the whole PPP scripting procedure by
> hand but
> it's kinda complicated to dictate such instructions to type in by phone,
> especially
> having to explain how to launch an editor etc etc. As I understand, such
> tech
> support should have large experience about the shortest/easiest way to
> do common
> tasks on different distros. Especially that we run all our servers on
> Linux,
> I sometimes feel uncomfortable about not being able to answer such
> questions
> easily. Pretty sure not as easy as Windows 95 tunning is.

                                             --- Omer
WARNING:
By sending me unsolicited commercial/political/religious E-mail message/s
(known also as "spam"), you irrevocably agree to pay me US$500.- (plus any
legal expenses incurred by my trying to collect the amount due) per
unsolicited commercial/political/religious E-mail message - for the service
of receiving it.