As suggested in the past I am trying to ssh to www.linux.org.il in order to be
able to help with its content. Since I am behind a firewall+proxy server I
have to use a socks server.

[09:29:03 /tmp]$ socksify ssh -v www.linux.org.il
SSH Version OpenSSH-1.2.2, protocol version 1.5.
Compiled with SSL.
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug: Applying options for *
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 1000 geteuid 0 anon 0
debug: Connecting to www.linux.org.il [192.116.202.69] port 22.
debug: Allocated local port 643.

And nothing more. I have to ^C it.

Ira claims that
        "now I see attempts from 172.17.120.5 which is ofcourse NOT a legal
         address. something is wrong with your firewall config, I'm afraid."
172.17.120.5 is indeed my IP.
Before trying to talk with the sys admin I would like other members of the
list to review it. Isn't a private class B IP might be expected from a machine
behind a firewall+proxy server on a private network? What can I ask from the
net admin beside a non private IP?

I believe that it is worth mentioning that I can socksify telnet and socksify passive
ftp to www.linux.org.il.

[21:47:54 /tmp]$ socksify telnet www.linux.org.il 22
Trying 192.116.202.69...
Connected to www.linux.org.il.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-1.5-1.2.27
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.
[22:14:49 /tmp]$ socksify pftp ftp.linux.org.il
Connected to linux.org.il.
220 ProFTPD 1.2.0pre10 Server (IGLU's FTP server) [iglu.inter.net.il]
Name (ftp.linux.org.il:shaul): anonymous
331 Anonymous login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
Password:
230-Welcome to IGLU's FTP site!

 Since we can't decide about the "right" order to put things in the tree, things
 may move around in the near future, and we'll put a propper tree here.
230 Anonymous access granted, restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> ls
227 Entering Passive Mode (192,116,202,69,7,74).
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
drwxr-xr-x  24 mirror   website      4096 Mar  6 21:00 mirrors
drwxrwxr-x   9 mirror   website      4096 Feb 16 11:21 packages
drwxrwxr-x  10 mirror   website      4096 Mar  1 01:14 pub
-rw-r--r--   1 mirror   website       180 Feb 16 11:45 welcome.msg
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> bye
221 Goodbye.
[22:16:20 /tmp]$

--
Shaul Karl                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
        An elephant is a mouse with an operating system.