Another way is to:
1. Create in the /home partition directories like /home/bin, /home/doc,
   etc.
2. Move stuff from /usr/bin, /usr/doc, etc. to those directories.
3. Replace /usr/bin, /usr/doc, etc. by soft links to /home/bin, /home/doc,
   etc.

This way, the partitions don't have to be reformatted at all.

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Gavrie Philipson wrote:

> Mike wrote:
> >
> > Hi list.
> > I partitioned my disk to have 2.5 GB on /home and only 600+ on /usr
> > /home and /usr are NOT close to each other (sda2,sda3).
> >
> > Is there any way to enlarge the /usr partition (using the /home partition)
> > without damaging the partitions ?
> > In the worst case i can delete the /home partition....painful but can live
> > with that.
>
> GNU parted is supposed to be able to do that correctly.
> You might also want to try (commercial) Partition Magic, as it's more
> user friendly.
>
> However, the docs for both products advise to back up your data before
> resizing partitions. For example, if you lose power in the middle of
> resizing, your data may very well be dead.
>
> Gavrie.
                                             --- Omer
   "MS-Word keeps thinking it knows what I'm gonna do next and tries to
   help me.  I've lived with my wife for 27 years and SHE can't do that.
   What makes MS-Word think it can?"             Bill Mullins
WARNING:
By sending me unsolicited commercial/political/religious E-mail message/s
(known also as "spam"), you irrevocably agree to pay me US$500.- (plus any
legal expenses incurred by my trying to collect the amount due) per
unsolicited commercial/political/religious E-mail message - for the service
of receiving it.