Hello Mike,
An alternative solution is to create a special partition (in the same hard
disk, or in a different hard disk) and install a spartan Linux
installation there as a root filesystem.

Or boot from a boot+root diskette.

When you want to backup, boot your computer into that special root
partition, and mount all other partitions as R/O.
Then you'll not have to worry about running in very-single-process mode.
                                            --- Omer

On Sat, 8 Apr 2000, Mike wrote:

> How do i bring the server to a single user mode.
[... snipped ...]
> Can it be automatically ?
> Is it really necessary ? i do this in order to do a full backup of my
> system.

                                             --- Omer
WARNING:
By sending me unsolicited commercial/political/religious E-mail message/s
(known also as "spam"), you irrevocably agree to pay me US$500.- (plus any
legal expenses incurred by my trying to collect the amount due) per
unsolicited commercial/political/religious E-mail message - for the service
of receiving it.