On 26-Apr-2000 avi lederman wrote:
> i installed mandrake 7 and everything is fine.
> only i can not access my cdrom.
> in the control panel it says: hp cd writer 8200 (which is ok)
> dev/hdc.
> when i write mount : mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660, dev=/dev/cdrom

I had the same problem when I moved from RedHat 6.0 to Mandrake 7.0. I'll tell
you what the problem is AFAIK and what to do about it, but NOT how to do it.
Although I did get my CD-RW working, I don't consider myself enough of an
expert to give advice about kernel compiling, so I hope once you know what the
problem is, you'll find help with the rest.

In RedHat 6.0 I had added kernel support for ide-scsi emulation and an
hdc=ide-scsi line to lilo.conf. In Mandrake, I was happy to discover that this
is already done for you. But apparently there's a bug in the installation
routine or the kernel or both since this does not work. What you have to do is
to re-compile the kernel after **removing** ide cdrom support. I know this
sounds strange and you're probably about to ask what happens to your regular CD
drive (if you have one in addition to the CD-RW). The answer is that both the
CD and the CD-RW must now be addressed as SCSI devices which means you'll also
have to fix /etc/fstab. Here are the appropriate lines from my fstab, but they
may be different on your system:

/dev/sr0        /mnt/cdrom      auto user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro 0 0
/dev/sr1        /mnt/cdrom2    auto user,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro 0 0

You also have to delete the hdc=ide-scsi line from lilo.conf and run LILO. Of
course, this will be done after you have a new kernel. And don't forget to save
the old kernel just in case.

If you don't find someone to help you with the compilation, I can tell you that
there's quite a good explanation in the Mandrake documentation at:

file:/usr/doc/mandrake/en/mdkuserguide/021.html#232

BTW - I also had nothing but problems with SUPERMOUNT - get rid of it :-)

GOOD LUCK :-)

E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 27-Apr-2000
Time: 00:36:19