Hello Noam,
No, I was not offended.

The simple truth is that if there were no Linux-IL subscribers who are
very unfriendly to clueless newbie questions, the list would have been
flooded by such questions.  In such a situation, the more experienced
people would not have followed, or contributed to the list, leading to its
demise.

You (and other newbies) were and are most welcome to send personal E-mail
messages to volunteer Linux-IL participants (including me) with your
questions.  This way only one (or perhaps two) participants would spend
time reading a newbie question, rather than the entire mailing list
membership.  The load on any experienced participant wouldn't have been
excessive, if the questions are distributed among them in a more-or-less
even way.

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Noam Meltzer wrote:

> Omer Zak wrote:
>
> > Does the following exchange mean that an uncoordinated gang of clueless
> > newbies can get away with flooding the Linux-IL mailing list by their
> > "<SOB>The 'type' command does not work for me in Linux, how can I see
> > the contents of a text file?</SOB>" like questions, provided that they
> > preface their silly questions by the disclaimer "Yes, I am a clueless
> > newbie AND I am ashamed of this, but..."?
> >

> Ok, sorrrrrrry offending you. I knew it was a silly question. I know how to do
> much more sophisticated stuff, but I got stuck on this, the arrogance of people
> like you brought the world to where it is. Good that there are people who are
> much more decent, non arrogant and want to help, just the opposite from you.

                                             --- Omer
   Who gets THREE copies of several Linux-IL related announcements:
                           -->linux-il@...
   which reinforced his opposition to the idea of splitting between
   linux-il and iglu mailing lists.
WARNING:
By sending me unsolicited commercial/political/religious E-mail message/s
(known also as "spam"), you irrevocably agree to pay me US$500.- (plus any
legal expenses incurred by my trying to collect the amount due) per
unsolicited commercial/political/religious E-mail message - for the service
of receiving it.