IA>> the problem is that many times the netscape process leaks over 200Meg of
IA>> swap, but it remains "used" once I kill the process. the RAM is freed,
IA>> but the machine is heavy as hell because it won't free up the swap and
IA>> swap back in all the other apps.
IA>> any idea how I force the machine to reclaim swap memory from dead
IA>> processes?

Are you sure it's indeed what happens? Is that netscape lying in swap, not
other apps? Usually actively running app (99% CPU) is forcing other,
sleeping processes out to swap and takes their memory for it. If they
continue to sleep, they remain in swap - system won't resurrect them back
to real memory unless they'll run.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      \/  There shall be counsels taken
Stanislav Malyshev      /\  Stronger than Morgul-spells