This is a short range vs. long range conflict.
In the short range, KDE is more stable, has more nice software, etc.

But in the long range, what will happen to KDE and software based upon it?
THE reason for Stallman's GPL is to vest with users of software the power
to modify it and tailor it to their needs and fix bugs found in it.

Even if Gnome is not stable today, it has better prospects of being
powerful and stable in the long range, because of its pure GPL.

Let's argue instead how much of the above powers are really given up (if
any) due to using KDE's license/s instead of GPL.

On Sat, 17 Jun 2000, Nimrod Mesika wrote:

> Ira Abramov wrote:
> >
> > I have reached a decision to do away with KDE on systems I'll install
> > from now on. I may install applications based on QT if I must, but only
> > from source I suppose. I wish useful products like Konqueror are ported
> > to GTk somehow one day.
> >
> > feel free to comment, but don't make this into a religious war between
> > KDE and other competitors, this is about license violations and
> > ideologies.
>
> Question is, do we really have an alternative? I have used KDE1 on Linux
> for quite some time and have found it generally useful and stable.
>
> Recently I switched to FreeBSD and decided to give GNOME a try. Built
> all gtk/gnome components from sources (using the excellent BSD ports
> system) - latest stable versions.
>
> Took me two days to realize GNOME is not nearly as stable as KDE1 is.
> While mostly, it works, various components (e.g., the help application)
> crash repeatedly and sometimes restarting X seems like the only
> option...
>
> Now with KDE2 in beta tests, GNOME will continue playing catch-up...
>
> What do you think?
                                             --- Omer
WARNING:
By sending me unsolicited commercial/political/religious E-mail message/s
(known also as "spam"), you irrevocably agree to pay me US$500.- (plus any
legal expenses incurred by my trying to collect the amount due) per
unsolicited commercial/political/religious E-mail message - for the service
of receiving it.