On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Eli Marmor wrote:

> And in the same issue: In the past, Mandrake developed and invested
> in the KDE integration more thanin GNOME, while RedHat did the
> opposite. I heard that it is not true anymore (with Mandrake7.1 and
> RH6.2). What do you recommend to use with 7.1, GNOME or KDE?  And if
> I want the built-in "Hebrew" option of Mandrake7.1 to be active,
> which of them (GNOME/KDE) is recommended?  Is it supported by both
> (GNOME and KDE) under Mandrake 7.1, or only under one of them? Which
> one?

KDE has "hebrew support" (partially translated menu and a proper hebrew
keymap in kikbd) at least since kde 1.1. And to suiplement that you have
http://kde.org/il (BTW: http://kde.org/il/hebrew is not exactly accurate).

The bit about translation is relativly easy to do, only noone bothered to
do it for gnome. As for keyboard layout - the gnome distro includes a
bogus hebrew keymap (/usr/share/xmodmap/xmodmap.il) .

Mandrake 7.1 (when you install with the Hebrew option) gets you a proper
console keymap [BTW: maybe RH 6.2 and other recent distros also has a
correct one. Can anybody check?], a proepr xkb keymap (alsmot. See:
http://www.iglu.org.il/faq/cache/87.html ) which means that you get hebrew
keys when left-alt is pressed. (they also include a corrected xmodmap.il
file. [BTW: was it fixed in any gnome distro, or with any other ditro?])

Another small point is that Mandrake comes with a little bit of hebrew
related software (not much, but it selected automatically when select
"Hebrew" installation). Most notably - fribidi 0.1.9, which includes a
very useful command-line filter (to read a hebrew mail message - pipe it
through 'fribidi -charset 8859-8' or through 'fribidi -charset 8859-8
-rtl')

BTW: Both come with vim that has hebrew support compiled in (although
Mandrake has a small /usr/doc/vim-common-*/vimrc_hebrew which might be
useful here). IMHO vim is currently the best editor for editing hebrew
texts (I don't intend to start a war here. I mean to say that vim is the
best of a relatively small group of editors with somewhat decent hebrew
support).

It is also worth noting that Mandrake makes it relativly easy to switch
to another desktop environment (kde, gnome, wmaker, enlightenment,
blackbox, blckbox/kde, wmaker/kde, ice, ice/gnome, etc.). Those look
well-packaged. I haven't tried RH's desktops, though.

> Last thing: There is an Axiom that RH is better for servers while
> Mandrake is better for clients. But from my humble opinion,I see
> the opposite, at least with the latest versions (MD7.1 vs. RH6.2):
> Mandrake supports features which are important for servers (e.g.
> ReiserFS, Paranoid security, etc.), while RH looks better for
> clients (e.g. easier installation, office apps, etc.). Am I wrong?

Another point here: Have you noticed how long it took to Mandrake to issue
a fix to the recent wu-ftpd problem? Their fix package was created on
26.6, but was only announced an hour ago (see the changelog of:
http://rufus.w3.org/linux/RPM/mandrakecooker/cooker/Mandrake/RPMS/wu-ftpd-2.6.0-7mdk.i586.html

RedHat usually respond faster than Mandrake to these kind of issues.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]