On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 01:51:05AM +0300, Alex Shnitman wrote:
> > But another question: I don't have grep-available on my system. What
> > package provides it?
>
> grep-dctrl

Okay, thanks!   Any idea why this thing isn't installed by default?
It's 28k of download and takes 127k of space. (If grep-available is
the only thing it does it looks a bit bloated to me, but even so,
it's a valuabe tool I expected to have on my system already.)

> > (And while we're at it, how do I find out what package provides a
> > given file or functionality?)
>
> I don't know about functionality (what do you mean by that?), but to

It's a vague term that no packaging system that I know has ever
defined very clearly, but sort of like smail, sendmail and
postfix all provide "mail-transport-agent" functionality (I don't
know whether they are all available in debian, just an example).

> find the package that includes a certain file, go to
> http://packages.debian.org/ and use the bottom search box. (The top
> one allows you to search descriptions of packages.)

Okay, thanks! Is there a command line tool to query that search
engine that you know of?

> To find the package which a certain file already on your filesystem
> belongs to, you can use dpkg -S.

Okay, that works for me.

Gaal
(at half moon, both impressed and unimpressed at
debian's packaging system and support tools)

--
believing is seeing
[EMAIL PROTECTED]