This is a wild guess here.

I am assuming that you are doing transparent proxying using an ipchains rule. If
this is the case, it could be that the ipchains rule does not apply to the machine
itself.

If this is the problem, it may be unsolvable, as you need to distinguish local
attempts to perform proxying, from the acutal data the proxy server itself
requests.

            Shachar