On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Ariel Biener wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Omer Zak wrote:
>
> > 3. It will boot from a floppy disk (write-protected, of course) - as the
> >  PC on which I want to implement the idea is older and its BIOS does not
> >  know to boot directly from CD-ROM.
>
> Here you sat write protected.
>
> > 4. Any files, which may have to be modified (such as network configuration
> >  and firewall rules for ipchains), will be stored on the floppy disk.
>
> Here you say not write protected.
>

> Make up your mind ? :)

Simple and elementary, my dear Dr. Watson.  When the configuration files
have to be modified, the firewall will be shut down.  The floppy will be
removed from it.  Then the floppy will set to non-write-protected mode
(invoking the magic embedded into your pinkie's nail).  Then it will be
inserted into the FDD of another computer (one which has the vi editor).
Then edit the configuration files.  After the configuration files have
been edited, unmount and remove the floppy from the PC you used to edit
it.  Then, set the floppy back to write-protected mode, insert it into the
firewall and reboot the firewall.

The CD-ROM has no writable mode.  So it should be used for files which
don't have to be modified (next time you get an security advisory about
one of the programs in the CD-ROM, burn a new CD-ROM).
                                             --- Omer
WARNING TO SPAMMERS:  see at http://www.zak.co.il/spamwarning.html