I'm not Matan, but ...

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Miriam wrote:

> I am trying to install and use your keyboards, starting with the
> console environement. I have three questions relating to it.

Note that there have been some updates here. See below.

> 1     The installation was very easy, but in the package I found
> no indication on the way to use it. You probably describedthat somewhere
> else, but I was not able to find it. Can you give me some pointer ?

IIRC the README in that package explained exactly what you have to do,
but...

http://linux.org.il/faq -> hebrew

In your rc.local, or anything else that is executed at logon time, run:

# set console fonts on TTYs 1 to 6:
for tty in /dev/tty[1-6]; do
  consoechars -f iso08.f16 -m iso08 --tty=${tty}
done

note: this isn't a script that works on my computer, but something I
composed now, so please test it...

mandrake already sets the console font on startup. You basically have to
set the correct values on /etc/sysconfig/i18n :

# console fonts stuff
# font to use
SYSFONT=iso08.f16
# unicode map file (I'm not sure about that one: I don't use unicode font
# at the console. tzafrir)
UNIMAP=iso08
# font-to-encoding translation file
SYSFONTACM=iso08

What about fonts with line-drawing chars? I can't find the one I had for
f16. And I still haven't recieved tthe ones for the two other sizes somene
long ago promised to rip off his display adapter.

> 2     I do not understand the way the command:
> echo -n -e "\\033(K" >$tty in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.heb works. I found out
> that it changes the assignment of the chars for values >127 (and I had a
> hard time to restore the old assignment). I tried to look up my books on
> Unix, but the subject was not covered. Again, can you recommend some text
> or some relevant electronic publication ?

Is that correct? Such things are better handled by the locale (set LANG,
or at least LC_CTYPE, to "he").

Also note that recent distros should carry a correct hebrew console
keymap.

Also note that the keymap for X may not be perfect (you may have problems
with numbers while in the Hebrew layout), although it should do the job.

If this bthers you, you can get the up-to-date symbols file linked from
the FAQ.

> 3     I read in an (old) Technion document that vim -H is not
> suited for texts that mixt Hebrew and English on the same line. Rightly or
> wrongly I got the impression that vim -H is one of the aplications
> considered by you. If this is true then you will probably be able to tell
> if this is still true.
>       Thanks a lot, Avraham

That depends...

vim has some support of right-to-left hebrew in a very straight-forward
manner: it simply reverses the whole disply...

If you have no better alternative, then go for it. There is currently no
decent text editor with decent hebrwe support (although hebgtk'ed gedit
works quite well. But it is not as good a text editor as vim).

I use it extensivly. The FAQ has some macros to make your life a bit
eqasier.

Regards

--
Tzafrir Cohen