On Mon, Feb 26, 2001, Daniel Feiglin wrote about "Pthreads again":
> Hello!
>
> I've been poking around "Understanding the LINUX Kernel: From I/O Ports
> to Process Management" by Daniel Pierre Bovet & Marco Cesati. They've
> got some good stuff on SVR4 style IPC implementation, but nothing on the
> POSIX threads implementation.
>
> Does anyone know if  Linux PThreads, say at kernel level >= 2.2.16 is
> implemented in the kernel? What's a good RTFM on the Linux
> implementation (NOT stuff like Butenhoff, which is how to use them)?

Linus made a concious decision to have only minimal support for threads
in the Linux kernel: threads are in most respects exactly the same as
regular processes, except that they share the address space by using the
only (as far as I know) new system call added to Linux for threading -
clone(2), which is like fork(2) except the new process shares the old
address space (pages are not copied even on write).

See for example http://pauillac.inria.fr/~xleroy/linuxthreads/faq.html#K
(read the rest of that FAQ if you're interested in more important issues
about threads in Linux).

--
Nadav Har'El                        |         Monday, Feb 26 2001, 4 Adar 5761
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I couldn't think of an insteresting