Just to add something here. I've been hearing the story of "only in Israel
we get such low speed where the rest of the world has great high speed
internet" for years now. First it was with the 28s, then 33, then 56s

So I think this quote from Jim Seymour (PC magazine), even though it was
written almost two years ago, is apt:

"
First, V.90 is not magic, and those legendary 56K connections are as
elusive as ever. (Actually, of course, they're limited to 53 Kbps on the
receiving side, thanks to an irrelevant government regulation limiting 56K
devices to 53 Kbps. Irrelevant? Sure: Just as I've never seen a 33.6-Kbps
connection outside a closed-loop test in a lab, I've never seen a 56-Kbps
connection, nor even a 53-Kbps link, away from the test bench. Welcome to
the real world.)

My experience with 56K modems--both x2 (3Com/U.S. Robotics) and K56flex
(Rockwell and the rest of the modem universe)--is that if you get into
the mid-30s Kbps range, you're doing pretty well. Get into the low-40s
Kbps range and you're having a Good Modem Day indeed.
"

..not only in Israel

and some participants in this thread might like to read a bit what Dvorak
has to say about lots of small ISPs  stateside.