>Why not simply:
>
>   rpm -ta  gtk+-1.2.10.tar.gz
>
>or even only:
>
>   rpm -tb gtk+-1.2.10.tar.gz
>
>(don't produce a source rpm at all)

But I do want the src.rpm . I then change the spec file so the package
will be compiled with the flags and configuration options I want to.
>From my experience, using the appropriate optimization flags for your
cpu (Athlon in my case) can result in a drastic performance increase.
For example, compiling Lame with special optimization flags yielded
an encoder which was almost 50% than the stock encoder.
However, you are right, that if you do not require any special options
in the package, just create the binary, as you suggested.

>What do you mean?

I mean that after you do ./configure, a <package_name>.spec is
produced. ProFTP daemon is one example.

Yosi