Hi,

If I get this right, what you describe is a problem in the X setup, before
your .xinitrc, .fvwmrc or the like comes to play.
You need to change the configuration of your X server. This change will be
noted in your (probably this is the path) /etc/X11/XF86Config file.
You screen got blank, I guess, due to bad modelines. The remedy work needs
to be done hands on. You can try to: lower resolution, change the modelines.
You can get help from automated tools like XConfigurator or XF86Setup or the
like (run them as root), but DO NOT forget to backup your existing (useless
but important for it's other data) XF86Config file.

[completely OFF_TOPIC: just came back from a month off the list.. . How the
hell could I miss that wonderfull thread about Mr. Choo the evil and some
droplets of joy from MAV ? Murphy's law - just when you're not there the
action will go on... :-) ]

boaz.