On Sun, 13 May 2001, Oded Arbel wrote:

> On Fri, 11 May 2001, Uri Bruck wrote:
>
> > As for testing how things actually work on Windows,
> > The behavior on Windows in widgets and in applications is not necessarily
> > the same. In widgets:
>
> It is consistent across widgets drawn by the OS's graphical toolkit. it

Which my heading suggests itself.
I made the distinction between widgets and applications.

> isn't consistant in applications that draw the screen themselves - like
> MS-Word, and I don't think we should take this as an example - similar
> inconsistency apears in many Unix/Linux applications.
>
> > As for when this happens, in the ?Ctrl-Shift case, the change happens when
> > the shift key is released, provided the Ctrl key is still down. It does
> > not happen if the Ctrl key is releasd first.
>
> Not so in 2k or 98se. I'm not sure where you tested this, but the

I tested this on everything bu 2k

> In notepad you can - like in all memo widgets - to change the
> alignment or just the writing direction. changing alignment implies
> changing direction, but not vice versa. this behaviour is very consistant.

I think we are using different terminology her.e

> > Not necessarily a model to go by. Alignment and language need not be
> > married to each other.
>
> It is a model to go by.
1. "not necessarily" does not mean "no".
2. The widgets model by itself is fine. The fact that it's not carried
over to all applications is the part i'd do without. Within the context of
my letter, that is definitely part of "the model"